hi folks,

i just started testing the google app inventor.

i want to create a manual for an android device we sell, but i'm stuck hardly.

on my screen i have a few list pickers, one for each chapter in the manual. the lists contain the sub-chapters, and when one of them is cklicked, i want to view the content of the clicked sub-chapter. of course with breaks in the text and other formattings.

i don't think this can be that hard, but i don't know how to solve =/

can anybody help me?

thank you all in advance!
    02-07-2011 07:29 AM
    What markup are you using for the document?
    02-07-2011 10:34 AM
    hry rshives, thanks for your reply.

the document is still in pdf format, i don't know how to implement the texts of the manual into the app...
    02-08-2011 01:33 AM
    The way you would normally do this is to place anchors within the text that match the items in the list, however since it is a pdf file, as far as I know, you cannot modify the document.

I would suggest you use the built in pdf reader and fire off an intent for the manual. You would not need the list or anything, you'd let the built in reader handle that.

If you were to convert the document into HTML, or even plain text you could place anchors that matched the list items.

I'll keep thinking about this though.
    02-08-2011 12:52 PM
    thank you very much so far!

we don't have the adobe reader on our device and the other readers are too slow to show the big manual in an acceptable time.

when i have the manual in plain text, how do i implement it into the app, so it is accessable by the points in the lists? and how do i solve this in the blocks editor? i hope there's ne need to have the textfile separatly on the sd card.

sorry for sounding like a noob, i did all the tutorials, but they don't teached me enough to solve it on my own.
    02-09-2011 01:40 AM
    This is a tough one for App Inventor. I'll keep thinking about it though.
    02-10-2011 10:40 AM