Button Arrays?

Draccus

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I've made a custom checkbox with two images. One for an empty box and a second one with a checkmark in the box. It works fine but I'm trying to figure out how to do this with 7 buttons. In C# I would probably make some sort of array of buttons so that they can do something like (pseudo C# code)

Button Buttons = new Button[7];
foreach ( Button b in Buttons )
b.Image = "cbempty.png";

void Button1_Click ()
{
ToggleButton(0);
}

void Button2_Click ()
{
ToggleButton(1);
}

void ToggleButton ( int index )
{
Buttons[index].Image = (Buttons[index].Image=="cbempty.png")?"cbchecked.png":"cbempty.png";
return;
}

The above is something like I want to accomplish. I would rather not make a seperat if statement for every single button.

rshives

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
One way you could solve the problem is to create the buttons you need. Then place them all inside a List.

VARIABLE -> MAKE A LIST -> Button1
-> Button2
-> Button3

Then you could iterate through the list or use list indexes (which start at 1 btw) as in your psudo code.

Draccus

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay so far I figured this much out.

Buttons -> Make a list -> (component) Button 1
(all buttons, 7 in all)

The next problem is hit when trying to assign a value to the Image field.

foreach variable (name) temp
var b = temp
var b.Image = "checked.png";
in list (global) Buttons

The problem is that b is just a variable. It has two blocks and no properties from the Button. Though it seems that the array list is full of buttons, the access right now seems like a normal variable (either set or get values, not specific fields).

rshives

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That is a limitation with App Inventor. You cannot dynamically set the UI element (or any element for that matter) properties.

Even though you have a List of Buttons, the List doesn't know it holds Button types.

I'm not sure you can solve this problem using App Inventor yet.