Dolphin HD 3.0 update is awesome

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Dolphin HD 3.0 is out and it definitely runs faster. But the reason to upgrade is the new drop down window shade that allows you to quickly switch between tabs. Pull it down like the notification bar, and you can slide between tabs or close them altogether. It also gives you quick access to the Android notification bar without having to go back to the home page.

I found this feature by accident -- I did not see it listed on the Dolphin homepage. The only small drawback is that if you try to hit a link at the very top of the page, it will activate the shade. Zooming in gets around that.

Just made my default browser even better.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The performance boost is amazing. I don't use any of the features, like gestures or the sidebars, but I do love the tabs and speeds that it provides.

robotmonkey

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It this update in the free version as well? I'm still not sold on Dolphin HD as my #1 browser, but I am still testing it out.

Yes, it is.

As an aside, I've only been using Dolphin for a few days now and I'm sold. The quick access to bookmarks and tabs is great, as is the more granular control over how the browser works.

I can, for example, check a setting for "full screen mode" (make the status bar go away) or I can use an on-demand toggle. Similarly, I can choose whether to use the volume buttons to page up/page down.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've been playing with it, Dolphin HD appears to have been optimized for froyo. Not only do the pages load faster, but the choppiness has been minimized. It gets a little choppy when the page starts loading, but it smooths out much quicker than it used to. The gestures would get really laggy if you used them while a page was loading, but now they're just as fast regardless. And the slow typing in forums when using the stock froyo keyboard is gone.

Oh, and the newest option is to use the volume buttons to switch between tabs. Unfortunately, between the flash videos and mp3's, I need access to the volume control. Besides, the window shade kind of makes it moot.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It this update in the free version as well? I'm still not sold on Dolphin HD as my #1 browser, but I am still testing it out.

It took me a while to warm up to it too, until I figured out I can turn off a lot of what I consider to extra garbage I don't like.

One advantage it has over our Fascinate browser, is that you can set the desktop agent to "desktop" instead of Android, which prevents a lot of sites from re-directing you to the sites mobile version.

I'm mostly astounded by how fast it's loading web pages. It still doesn't reformat pages when you pinch to zoom. HTC's browser proves that this can be done, so I wish they'd implement this.

P.S. - there's a regular Dolphin browser and then there's DolphinHD. I made the mistake of donwloading the regular Dolphin Broswer once and didn't like it.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what it's like on the Galaxy browser, but I had variable results from the HTC browser when I changed the Agent to desktop. But Dolphin HD is flawless when you switch it, which is why I started using it full time.

Also, does Dolphin HD on the Fascinate allow you to reflow text when you pinch and zoom?

There's one more improvement in 3.0 that I forgot to mention: When you use pinch to zoom in, it doesn't jump all over the page as much as it used to. So there's some logic to tightened up where to center the page after you zoom and reflow.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I had always thought that Dolphin HD was sort of like a skin on the stock browser. So I guess it depends on whether or not your stock browser can do the pinch and zoom reflow.

josue

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Also, does Dolphin HD on the Fascinate allow you to reflow text when you pinch and zoom?

What does this mean?

There's one more improvement in 3.0 that I forgot to mention: When you use pinch to zoom in, it doesn't jump all over the page as much as it used to. So there's some logic to tightened up where to center the page after you zoom and reflow.

This sounds awesome....I hate how the stock browser does this. Might have to give this browser a tryout...

m2thedeep

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I gave the browser a try but the image rendering was poor (color banding on buttons) and I had to go back to the stock browser. However, this 3.0 release looks promising and I'll be keeping my eye out on future updates.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I love Dolphin HD, and I especially love the ADD-ONS. I have the del.ico.us add-on and it works great, all of my bookmarks are synced between all of my pc's and my Evo. Also, the Read-it-later add-on is very handy for when you want to check something out later from a PC browser. A couple of other of my favorite add-ons:

- Barcode Generator, generates a quick QR code to share the site you are browsing

- Dolphin Reader, quickly generates an easy-to-read, text only page from the current page you are viewing. This is great for blogs/websites that are formatted for PC viewing, the add-on just grabs the article text so you can easily read it in portrait or landscape mode.

I paid for the license long ago and have been using Dolphin as my default browser and love the new 3.0 update.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
One advantage it has over our Fascinate browser, is that you can set the desktop agent to "desktop" instead of Android, which prevents a lot of sites from re-directing you to the sites mobile version.

Thanks! Now ESPN will finally load the full site. It was the only site I couldn't get to display the full site by default.

RyanD8

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Can someone make a list of settings changes to make to Dolphin HD 3.0 to make is more usable? I disabled the side bars because they kept popping up when I was trying to side scroll on a web page. Scrolling on a fully loaded web page still feels sluggish though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs