Not ringing for unconfigured callers

Prosthetic_Lips

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue to the previous thread, but I didn't want to hijack that one.

WhoIsIt: 2.4
Phone: HTC Aria

I first configured my Android default ringtone to silent, then added a default ringtone in WhoIsIt. (yes, the Android ringtone now shows as the WhoIsIt default, just like the other thread). I also configured an Unknown Caller ringtone in WhoIsIt, and then configured a few different contacts that I wanted to be different from the normal ringtone.

When I get a call from a contact that I know but don't have in my phone (e.g. a Facebook contact), instead of getting the WhoIsIt default ringtone, I get ... silence ... The phone lights up, and if I happen to be looking at it, then I can answer it.

If I get a call from an unknown caller, then I get the WhoIsIt Unknown Caller ringtone, as expected.

I am having to disable WhoIsIt because otherwise I don't get calls. Help!

awjones

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue to the previous thread, but I didn't want to hijack that one.

WhoIsIt: 2.4
Phone: HTC Aria

I first configured my Android default ringtone to silent, then added a default ringtone in WhoIsIt. (yes, the Android ringtone now shows as the WhoIsIt default, just like the other thread). I also configured an Unknown Caller ringtone in WhoIsIt, and then configured a few different contacts that I wanted to be different from the normal ringtone.

When I get a call from a contact that I know but don't have in my phone (e.g. a Facebook contact), instead of getting the WhoIsIt default ringtone, I get ... silence ... The phone lights up, and if I happen to be looking at it, then I can answer it.

If I get a call from an unknown caller, then I get the WhoIsIt Unknown Caller ringtone, as expected.

I am having to disable WhoIsIt because otherwise I don't get calls. Help!

Hello,

You shouldn't set your default ringtone to be "Silent" or else your phone won't ring for callers that aren't configured to have a specific ringtone. There actually is no different between the Android default ringtone and WhoIsIt default ringtone. They are actually the same thing. When you set the default ringtone within WhoIsIt, it is actually setting the Android default ringtone.

I hope this helps!

-Andy

Prosthetic_Lips

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Fixed it

(I thought I already responded here, but I don't see it -- If I double-post, ignore one!)

This definitely fixed my problem. I think I had set the phone ringtone to silent (since there are messages about turning off, for example, the GMail ringtone, I thought it meant I should turn off ALL the ringtones). Then, when I set the ringtone in WhoIsIt and looked back at the phone, I was confused, so I set the phone default back to silent -- so, operator error (or misunderstanding of the directions).

The other part that was happening (see other thread) is that I had inadvertently turned on the announcements. When the announcement went, then it didn't play the song, also. Not sure if this is supposed to do both, but when I turned off the announce, and set the phone default ringtone, now I get ringtones (and everything).

Thanks!