New guy coming from Blackberry Curve

markewallace

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Greetings all. First post here, and I'm not even an Android user yet. I expect to be buying an Incredible next week though to replace my 8310 Curve.

Just a couple of questions about availability of apps comparable to some of my faves on the BB.

- Alarm clock program - I use BBSmart Alarms Pro as my alarm clock program on the BB. Is there a comparable app for Android?

- Kindle app - Anyone know if there is one? If not, is there an ETA?

- Profile scheduler - Does native Android have the ability to set timed profiles? If not, is there a separate program for it?

- Auto On/Off - Is there native Auto On/Off scheduling in Android? If not, is there an app for it? This saves me significant battery life on my BB.

- Amazon client - There is a Blackberry client for browsing and purchasing from Amazon.com. Is there a comparable one for Android?

None of these are deal breakers for me on my pending Incredible purchase. Just trying to get a headstart on replacing my BB apps.

Thanks,

Mark

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Alarm clock: yeah, there are a lot of alarm clocks, but a lot use the built in alarm clock of the OS. I use the sense one on my Hero, I like it. You will have the sense UI on the Incredible, so there are some really nice clocks on it as well as timer, stopwatch, deskclock, worldclock, alarm and so on.

Kindle App: Not kindle, but there is an app for books that you can load them from the sd card called Aldiko. It supports: ebooks built into the app and ePub files.

Profile Scheduler? I'm not entirely sure, but are you talking about like from 8am-5pm have vibrate, 5pm-10pm loud, 10pm-7am silent? If so i think timeriffic does that

Auto On-Off: no, but you can also use timeriffic to shut the network signal off certain times which saves a ridiculous amount of battery.

Amazon: Yes, it looks much like the mobile site, but its good.

markewallace

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, rufflez.

Profile Scheduler? I'm not entirely sure, but are you talking about like from 8am-5pm have vibrate, 5pm-10pm loud, 10pm-7am silent? If so i think timeriffic does that

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm after. A nice tweak - if it's available - is to have location-based profiles. For example, "when I'm in church, just vibrate."

Auto On-Off: no, but you can also use timeriffic to shut the network signal off certain times which saves a ridiculous amount of battery.

Odd to me not to have an Auto On/Off, but timeriffic might be enough.

Amazon: Yes, it looks much like the mobile site, but its good.

Don't need it to be great; just good enough to be able to browse, buy, and track orders. The BB version isn't awesome, but it does all I need it to.

Thanks again,

Mark

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon