Using Macrodroid to turn Bluetooth off at home.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I have been playing around with this for the past few days and finally seem to have got it working as I want it to (as well as the OS and the app allow me to anyway).

I use a Bixby routine to enable Bluetooth whenever I leave home by detecting I have disconnected from my home wi-fi so as to allow the UK NHS contact tracing app to work.

But while at home I often use my tablet rather than my phone to stream over Bluetooth to one of seven devices (living room radio, bedroom speaker, portable speaker, earbuds, earphones, wired earphone adaptor and car radio) and I want to avoid the faff of having to manually check Bluetooth is disabled on my phone first before trying to connect my tablet. Curiously Bixby does not let me do this.

So Macrodroid to the rescue and I now have it so that whenever I disconnect one of the Bluetooth devices from the phone it checks that I am at home and then disables Bluetooth, It also does an hourly check to cover those occasions I have not been listening using Bluetooth when I have returned on foot (car radio handles the driven home case).

There were a couple of complications around getting the geofencing to work which meant splitting the macro into two with a few minutes delay before kicking off the second macro to do the actual disabling and to allow for the case where I want to swap from earbuds to living room radio when I get back home for example.

Anyway, if anyone is interested and wants to try it out I will make the effort to post the macros up on here.

Ciao!

Last edited:

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Re: Use Macrodroid app to turn Bluetooth off at home

Alternatively, if anyone thinks I am overcomplicating this and there is a much simpler way of doing it I would love to know. :)

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Ideally I would like Bixby to simply have (which does not seem too much to ask)

IF connected to home wi-fi AND no device connected to Bluetooth THEN disable Bluetooth

But Bixby is not letting me check the Bluetooth status and then change it. :confused:
Apart from which it only lets me check device by device so I would need a seven deep nested level of IF routines to achieve what I want which Bixby also does not support.

Maybe Samsung will enhance Bixby routine functionality in the future?

Last edited:

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Mmmm! I have for the moment decided to turn this macro off and use a simple manual Bluetooth toggle widget on the home screen instead. I am not sure if it is having the macro in use or just the fact I have been constantly fiddling to fine tune it but my battery usage has been greater these past few days than before. I will stew on it and perhaps give it a proper go in a couple of days starting from a full charge and a normal day at work with no fiddling with the macro.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Had two days running with the macro on, one on a day off with just lengthy Bluetooth listening sessions while out and about and now with a normal day at work. Both have shown no noticeable increase in battery usage. The macro is now actually five macros with three of them being triggered to display a notification when a device disconnects, when Bluetooth is disabled and when Bluetooth is enabled which gives me a running update on the state of play on the Lock Screen. I already use a Bluetooth Battery Watcher app so I also get a notification when a device connects to complete the set.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I remember using Macrodroid in past on older device's , it was pretty cool , I'm surprised Bixby routines can't do what your asking.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance