Netflix! DamnYou!

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Finally get netflix on some android devices and now: 7.99 for streaming PLUS 7.99 for DVD rental. Making the new price from the last jump up to 15.98 a month.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
The cheap price was really nice, and it's a bummer to see it go. But honestly it was a steal at it's original price (but then I'm a Netflix user who always has 3 of the DVDs in the house at any given time). IMHO, still worth it at the new price.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I got that email today and my first thought was "thanks, Verizon!"

Fortunately I don't stream so I'll end up saving 2 bucks a month until I burn through my DVD queue...then cancel.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Still the best deal around. The streaming has always been "free" as part of the disc plans (I was a subscriber when they added it with no additional cost to me for it, so I have always just considered it a free part of what I was already paying for)

I'm pretty sure almost everyone fully expected them to separate streaming and discs eventually, so it's not really a shock.....although the interwebz is alight with "OMG GOING TO CANCEL NETFLIX" posts. I'm sure in a few days it'll all be back to normal and Netflix will be just fine.

I'm personally glad they finally separated the plans. Choices FTW. Now if you don't want streaming, you can get a disc only plan (for cheaper than you were paying before), or if you want both, you pay a premium and the costs (hopefully) go to acquiring more content for both discs and streaming.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I would be OK with this if there was a step increase in available streaming content commensurate with the 60% step increase in fees. Sadly, though, this is not the case - still the same meager streaming selection, but we are now paying more for it.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if I have a valid argument, but here it is:

When I read about the Netflix price changes, I immediately went into my TV service provider's website and looked at the cost of adding an on demand package for movies. The cheapest addons I could find were like the Showtime package or the Stars package for like 11.99 a month. From there, you can do movie packages for double or triple that price a month.

The way I am starting to look at it... for "on demand" streaming movies and 1 at a time DVDs mailed to your house, $15.99 is still a great price. Yes, you really need to go through 2-3 DVDs a month to justify the $15.99 price, but then if you did the streaming part is free.

ekz13

May 31, 2010
Visit site
sorry for the hijack, but I am curious since you're all actual users, is it possible to "save for later" or "stream and hold" a movie.. reason being is I ride a train and can't get signal most of the way, so I wanted to sign up for this, stream the movie into a buffer/cache/queue type thing and then watch it on the train (with no signal)

or is it possible only to watch with signal?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Netflix said a year ago they are trying to eliminate the physical dvd and have just streaming. My guess is this is the first step in that process, trying to get most of us to just cancel on our own. Makes perfect sense, i am canceling my dvd part of my account and while they will lose that dollar a month they are getting from me at the moment, they will no longer need dvd's for me so it is a even Steven exchange. I am thinking the new plans (charging for 2 separate accounts basically) are so absurd, it is quite obvious they want you to keep the streaming and cancel the dvd portion. Again I would not believe anything I just said if i did not read the article almost a year ago that they want to do away with dvd's.

Last edited:

tcat007

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Cr@p... I tend to like the newer DVD's mailed. I can get 10 per month if I watch quickly, but typically 8 per month getting 1 at a time. I seldom watch streaming anymore with all the DISH stuff I get (Sling Adapter)... and I like streaming Sling better than streaming NF. I'll probably just drop to the $7.99 DVDs... then be real PO'd when they drop that a year from now.... kind of like how I got screwed out of Dish "Absolute" (all HD for $29.99)... and now VM $25 plan (yeah maybe grandfathered, but I bet a year from now, NOT) :-\ Corporations got to keep making profits so their stocks stay at unrealistic heights.... I'm guessing this will all bite them in the a$$ someday.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I would be OK with this if there was a step increase in available streaming content commensurate with the 60% step increase in fees. Sadly, though, this is not the case - still the same meager streaming selection, but we are now paying more for it.

+1 Very dissappointed with the streaming selection, so much so that I am thinking of canceling.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I read an article that stated that netflix is doing this because they are going to be poring my money into getting digital licenses for new content. I'm alright with this as long as it happens. But I've made up my decision.

7.99 for Streaming: Check
7.99 For DVD: Drop
11.99 for Blockbuster in the Mail: Check

Yes, it's going to be more money than I was spending but only 4 dollars more than what it's going to be now. And it's worth it in my opinion. I really enjoy just watching the streaming content on Netflix. I always seem to find something I enjoy. But don't want to lose the DVD's when I do want them.

1- Blockbuster has the movies a month before Netflix - $1
2- Blockbuster has bluray in that price: $1
3- Block buster allows you to rent games (Which when I'm not looking for movies I will do): $1
4- Blockbuster allows 5 in store exchanges a month. $1

There's your extra $4 dollar break down of why I'm making the switch, lol.

And then in the future if I get bored with their streaming: for the same price of both services I can get 3 DVD/Games from blockbuster out at a time.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
In same article I read last year they said when they finnally do Those transition there would be more content,, newer movies. Basically the stuff you get instant dvd form will be available threw streaming.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Which is why ill keep streaming for now. But an extra 4 bux for blockbuster over the Netflix DVD package makes sense for me. I don't rent many DVDs. Just stream. But want it.

So ill get games through the mail. Then go to the store and get a movie when it comes out and I wanna see it.

I got a movie last month and just watched part of it last night. So that'll work better for me.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Netflix has bigger problems not of their own making. With competition for content from Amazon and others Netflix will be forced to pay more to studios to get new releases in a timely manner. That is part of the price increase. Expect to get "less for more" as the other shoe drops and Netflix gets outbid for first dibs on content from Sony Pictures or another studio.

At some point you'll need subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon, Google and who knows what else to be able to see all new releases in ANY format.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Netflix has bigger problems not of their own making. With competition for content from Amazon and others Netflix will be forced to pay more to studios to get new releases in a timely manner. That is part of the price increase. Expect to get "less for more" as the other shoe drops and Netflix gets outbid for first dibs on content from Sony Pictures or another studio.

At some point you'll need subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon, Google and who knows what else to be able to see all new releases in ANY format.

I wouldn't mind paying 20 a month for new releases on demand instead of through DVD. The day they are released.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
1- Blockbuster has the movies a month before Netflix - $1
2- Blockbuster has bluray in that price: $1
3- Block buster allows you to rent games (Which when I'm not looking for movies I will do): $1
4- Blockbuster allows 5 in store exchanges a month. $1

Just FYI, the DVD+Blu-Ray (disc only) plans at Netflix are cheaper than BB, and :

• Blockbuster shipping usually takes at least 2 (sometimes 3) days each way, depending on where your distribution center is at. Netflix is typically 1 day (never heard of anyone that took longer than that on a regular basis)
  • Blockbuster will frequently not ship a movie the same day they receive one.
  • Blockbuster will frequently wait 2 or 3 days after receiving a movie before they ship you a new one.
  • Blockbuster will ship movies out of order (annoying when disc 2 of a series ships before disc 1).
  • Blockbuster does not work/ship on Saturday, making it one less day each week that they will ship a movie compared to Netflix (they also handle holidays much worse)
  • Blockbuster is Blockbuster and leaves a gross sticky substance on your soul. Plus people will point at your BB card and laugh at you :)

Regardless, if you go BB, I hope it works out. I've tried them 3 separate times over the last few years, and they have always sucked horribly, especially after the "new customer" honeymoon is over.

You might want to also check to make sure your store is not closing. Another round of leases expire the end of July.

I will not try them again...especially now that there is no store anywhere close to me (the closest one is over 100 miles away).

Netflix + Redbox + Vudu FTW, in my book. Blockbuster can burn. Burn with fire.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI, the DVD+Blu-Ray plans at Netflix are cheaper than BB, and :

• Blockbuster shipping usually takes at least 2 (sometimes 3) days each way, depending on where your distribution center is at. Netflix is typically 1 day (never heard of anyone that took longer than that on a regular basis)
  • Blockbuster will frequently not ship a movie the same day they receive one.
  • Blockbuster will frequently wait 2 or 3 days after receiving a movie before they ship you a new one.
  • Blockbuster will ship movies out of order (annoying when disc 2 of a series ships before disc 1).
  • Blockbuster does not work/ship on Saturday, making it one less day each week that they will ship a movie compared to Netflix (they also handle holidays much worse)
  • Blockbuster is Blockbuster and leaves a gross sticky substance on your soul. Plus people will point at your BB card and laugh at you :)

Regardless, if you go BB, I hope it works out. I've tried them 3 separate times over the last few years, and they have always sucked horribly, especially after the "new customer" honeymoon is over.

You might want to also check to make sure your store is not closing. Another round of leases expire the end of July.

I will not try them again...especially now that there is no store anywhere close to me (the closest one is over 100 miles away).

Netflix + Redbox + Vudu FTW, in my book. Blockbuster can burn. Burn with fire.

What was your issue with BB?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't mind paying 20 a month for new releases on demand instead of through DVD. The day they are released.

This won't happen. Ever. Everyone else charges $4-6 for a one view of one movie for a 24 hour period (look at your PPV, VOD options like you cable/sat provider. Look at Vudu. Look at iTunes. Look at Zune).

Netflix will never be able to offer a buffet plan for new releases at any reasonable cost. The studios won't allow it. It still amazes me people think they should get the day-and-date releases for $7.99/month.

The buffet plan is cheap. To offer new releases, they'd have to price it more than cable is, or go to a VOD model, and that market is saturated by everyone else.

The only company even making an attempt at a buffet plan is Amazon, and they have the same issue (no new releases).

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This won't happen. Ever. Everyone else charges $4-6 for a one view of one movie for a 24 hour period (look at your PPV, VOD options like you cable/sat provider. Look at Vudu. Look at iTunes. Look at Zune).

Netflix will never be able to offer a buffet plan for new releases at any reasonable cost. The studios won't allow it. It still amazes me people think they should get the day-and-date releases for $7.99/month.

The buffet plan is cheap. To offer new releases, they'd have to price it more than cable is, or go to a VOD model, and that market is saturated by everyone else.

The only company even making an attempt at a buffet plan is Amazon, and they have the same issue (no new releases).

I'm happy with what I get from them now. I like the older stuff better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol