09-28-2021 03:08 PM
38 12
tools
    Basic trouble shooting only.see the padlock with one contact though several have the feature enabled.
    09-27-2021 01:28 PM
    I assume you mean "e2ee" (end-to-end encryption), for the benefit of others who may wonder what that acronym refers to.

Have you had RCS chat enabled for a while? Do you know if those other contacts have had it enabled for a while? Sometimes it takes a little while for RCS to actually get activated on a phone, so perhaps some of those contacts have turned it on, but it isn't active just yet.

Another possibility is that some of those contacts might have switched phones but forgot to turn off RCS on their previous phone before making the switch.
    09-27-2021 01:33 PM
    Whoops yeaah B.Diddy E2ee mis spell,As usual with me wouldnt think english was my first language .
    Yeah maybe for one or two but the individuals im trying to make it work with are saying its me ?
    Would Samsung google be a problem at all ?
    09-27-2021 01:39 PM
    And you've had RCS turned on for a while, and haven't switched from a prior phone since turning on RCS?
    09-27-2021 02:08 PM
    No i havnt.

Though why would it work with some contacts amd not others if that was the case ?
    09-27-2021 02:23 PM
    I'm just making some guesses here.

Where do you see the padlock? I can tell when others I'm messaging are on RCS because their messages are in dark blue rather than light blue. But I don't see a padlock anywhere.

Also, why do you bring up Samsung? Is it because some of the contacts in question are using Samsung?
    09-27-2021 02:32 PM
    Ill post not sure i get blue msgs theres is black. Out of dark theme they are white i am blue.
    Padlock is shown in text box also after it is sent on screen bottom right. Also gives option to verify encryption.
    Yes one contact is Samsung.
    09-27-2021 02:52 PM
    My msgs app tells me contacts with RCS cause it shows up as chat instead of text. Though not encrypted i believe.
    09-27-2021 03:48 PM
    You're using the Google Messages app?
    09-27-2021 04:16 PM
    [Moved this to Andriod apps forum ]
    09-27-2021 04:55 PM
    You're using the Google Messages app?
    Yes i am G
    09-27-2021 05:01 PM
    All.good fellas one of those things.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-27-2021 05:07 PM
    Can you show us a screenshot of where the padlock icon is? Make sure to block out any identifying information first.
    09-27-2021 06:19 PM
    Can you show us a screenshot of where the padlock icon is? Make sure to block out any identifying information first.
    Two pictures in one the first on bottom is No padlock as you can see. On top is one with padlock.

Couple reasons why i onky can get ee2e on pixel 4 eith some contacts with RCS enabled-screenshot_20210928-054631-3.png
    09-27-2021 09:23 PM
    Did you read this support page? https://support.google.com/messages/...0you%20message.

It mentions that it's not available for SMS/MMS or group texts. Does your thread in the lower screenshot include either?
    09-27-2021 09:31 PM
    Yes gone through it all includinfg Samsungs info to.

No not group all individuals,If its sms/mms says text if its RCS says Chat though that doesnt mean its e2ee
    09-27-2021 09:33 PM
    Maybe try deleting those chat threads with those contacts and start a new chat thread with them to see if it shows up then.
    Freo D likes this.
    09-27-2021 11:35 PM
    Yeah did all that only seems to be Samsung Users from what i can gather.
    Tried to give it ago see if it was Any good with other users. With this who cares about RCS if its not e2ee.
    09-27-2021 11:47 PM
    Do you know if those Samsung users are using Samsung Messages rather than Google Messages? I think turning on RCS chat in Samsung Messages might be a bit more convoluted than using Google Messages on a Pixel.

EDIT: I found this article from June of this year that says that encryption is only between people using Google Messages, so if the Samsung people are using Samsung Messages, that's why you won't get encryption. https://www.inputmag.com/tech/androi...r-new-features
    Freo D and J Dubbs like this.
    09-28-2021 12:52 AM
    Do you know if those Samsung users are using Samsung Messages rather than Google Messages? I think turning on RCS chat in Samsung Messages might be a bit more convoluted than using Google Messages on a Pixel.

EDIT: I found this article from June of this year that says that encryption is only between people using Google Messages, so if the Samsung people are using Samsung Messages, that's why you won't get encryption. https://www.inputmag.com/tech/androi...r-new-features
    Samsung has the Google message app collaboration with Samsung , it looks like google icon app from outside but gives little bit of One UI feel with end to end encryption s21 and up come with this and im using the APK on my Note20U
    Just so your aware of this .
    Freo D likes this.
    09-28-2021 12:57 AM
    Samsung has the Google message app collaboration with Samsung , it looks like google icon app from outside but gives little bit of One UI feel with end to end encryption s21 and up come with this and im using the APK on my Note20U
    Just so your aware of this .
    Oh, so can you confirm that you get the encryption icon when chatting with someone using Google Messages? Also, what if it's someone using an older Samsung phone? I'm still hanging onto this possible explanation because it seems to jibe with what I see on my phone. On a couple of message threads with people who I know have Pixels, I see the encryption icon, but with another person who I'm pretty sure has a Samsung phone, I see the dark blue message backgrounds of RCS chat but no encryption icon.

Also, you say it looks like the Google icon from the outside -- but what about the Samsung Messages app? My A32 5G came with both.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-28-2021 01:02 AM
    Ok so to get this right which i thought was the case has Samsung intergrated with google ?

Its only Samsung Users im having no e2ee with well two atm
    09-28-2021 01:02 AM
    mustang7757 is more of the Samsung guru than I am, but I suggest testing this with your Samsung friends -- ask them to start a messaging chat with you via Google Messages (and not the Samsung Messages app), and see if the encryption icon shows up then.
    mustang7757 and Freo D like this.
    09-28-2021 01:06 AM
    Oh, so can you confirm that you get the encryption icon when chatting with someone using Google Messages? Also, what if it's someone using an older Samsung phone? I'm still hanging onto this possible explanation because it seems to jibe with what I see on my phone. On a couple of message threads with people who I know have Pixels, I see the encryption icon, but with another person who I'm pretty sure has a Samsung phone, I see the dark blue message backgrounds of RCS chat but no encryption icon.

Also, you say it looks like the Google icon from the outside -- but what about the Samsung Messages app? My A32 5G came with both.
    I can confirm with another person using Google messages or pixel as my pixel 5 it has end to end encryption, now on my other Samsung devices they have Samsung stock messages app without rcs so rules out them and i dont have anyone to confirm if it works with other Samsung message app that have rcs , my opinion probably not as carriers had their own rcs flare . By next year pretty much Samsung going with Google messages as t-mobile,Att,Verizon now going drop their rcs and go google .
    B. Diddy and Freo D like this.
    09-28-2021 01:07 AM
    Ok so to get this right which i thought was the case has Samsung intergrated with google ?

Its only Samsung Users im having no e2ee with well two atm
    They have but not fully yet only s21 came with Google/Samsung collaboration
    Freo D likes this.
    09-28-2021 01:09 AM
38 12