system resource monitor sought

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
so, I managed to resurrect my motorola moto g7 after factory resetting it(battery drain's nowhere near as bad as when I 'decommissioned' it from active service) so I've configured it as a media device.

now, I have one problem.

a lack of ability to monitor its resources(except for the battery, got that covered with GSAM battery monitor).

I need an app that will actively allow me to monitor several things... system ram, cpu, and if possible, network activity(like wifi, have cellular disabled)

the big two I need are ram and cpu.

I would prefer something with widgets if possible, and something that is either outright free, or carries a one time pay to make ads go away fee.

any ideas?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've tried looking for something similar for cpu usage, but to no avail. I suspect I have a rogue app, but all the apps I can find only monitor battery consumption.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
in my case, when I initially 'decomissioned' my moto g7 I just put it in a drawer, I just factory reset it yesterday cause I was bored and wanted to see if starting fresh would solve a few problems with it.

seems like it has, but I found myself needing a resource monitor app, hence my earlier post.

if you have a rogue app, it'll likely be eating battery like a professional food eating contestant...so heres what you do.

grab this app GSAM battery monitor and install it.

to see more detailed battery stats you'll need to do a bit of permissions level surgery.

we will be following GSAM's in app how to for this. I've supplied a photo taken of the commands we'll be using a little later below, the photo is labeled 'grant gsam access'

just for clarity's sake, if at any point you're unsure of how I've navigated you, tap the 3 dots on the gsam battery monitor app home screen, tap more, tap enable more stats...and the instructions are within. you will want the 'no root' option, so tap 'show me how'.

onto the instructions:

go into your phone's settings, enable developer options, enable usb debugging.

grab ADBlink and install it.

run adblink

connect your phone, you'll see a pop up on your device. tap ok. click refresh adb. now click adb shell. you're likely not going to see something in the resultant command window. type exit, you should now see a string looking like the last line in the screenshot titled 'adblink command'

assuming you've done it right so far..this is what you want to see.

be aware that from this point forwards, spelling/capitalization/symbol usage MUST be accurate or you wont see any results.

now type in 'adb shell pm grant com.gsamlabs.bbm android.permission.BATTERY_STATS' and if done correctly you should see two things. in the command shell, it'll return you to 'C:\Users\-insert user here-\Desktop\adblink\adbLink\adbLink>' and on your device you can now tap the little funky checkmark and SHOULD now see a detailed breakdown on what exactly is using the most battery at any time.

the second command in that screen shot goes further, and should only be used if you want really detailed results, with the caveat of other apps being able to access hidden system api's as well as gsam.

done right, this should take no more than 10 minutes.

Attachments

• adblink command.png
    adblink command.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 4
  • grant gsam access.jpg
    grant gsam access.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 4

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
cpu z is a wonderful tool, the problem here is it doesn't give a detailed breakdown of whats using cpu cycles, which is what @Mooncatt needs.

as for myself...cpu-z is a tad limited in that I feel it doesn't give enough information.

bearing in mind I am aware cpu z is limited by what sensors a device may or may not be equipped with on its main board...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
cpu z is a wonderful tool, the problem here is it doesn't give a detailed breakdown of whats using cpu cycles, which is what @Mooncatt needs.

as for myself...cpu-z is a tad limited in that I feel it doesn't give enough information.

bearing in mind I am aware cpu z is limited by what sensors a device may or may not be equipped with on its main board...
I see u need more detailed , if i remember another i leave a link here

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
if you have a rogue app, it'll likely be eating battery like a professional food eating contestant.

My battery does drop like a rock sometimes, and AccuBattery reflects this in its current readout, plus my phone will be on the warm side. It's to the point where it'll barely charge due to thermal throttling. I doubt it's a signal or related issue because it even happens on good Wi-Fi, but the regular battery usage stats don't show any abnormally high consumption numbers.

Link was eaten by the forum.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My battery does drop like a rock sometimes, and AccuBattery reflects this in its current readout, plus my phone will be on the warm side. It's to the point where it'll barely charge due to thermal throttling. I doubt it's a signal or related issue because it even happens on good Wi-Fi, but the regular battery usage stats don't show any abnormally high consumption numbers.

Link was eaten by the forum.
Yeah been recent problem , try chrome should be ok

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, it's happening when someone posts. If it's like the last time this problem popped up, I think a workaround was to remove the http, starting the url with www.

Whats happening is it gives a redirect in web browser instead of play store , but they are aware and working on it .

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
@Mooncatt honestly at this point I'd boot in safe mode(Assuming your phone supports this, not all do) and if after an hour your battery doesn't drop like an anvil..you have a rogue app. if your battery DOES drop like an anvil in safe mode..its possibly something on the main board or more likely than not the battery itself fixing to go.

in the event it IS a rogue app? my advice? is do a factory reset, do NOT restore from backup(you could invite the rogue right back in this way). go completely fresh. then go into the battery settings for every app you dont want running in the background(eg nbc, peacock) stuff that has no business being up at all without being invoked(loaded) by the user and set to restricted.

its what I did with my motorola. so far its performing as I'd hoped post factory reset.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
@Mooncatt honestly at this point I'd boot in safe mode(Assuming your phone supports this, not all do) and if after an hour your battery doesn't drop like an anvil..you have a rogue app. if your battery DOES drop like an anvil in safe mode..its possibly something on the main board or more likely than not the battery itself fixing to go.

in the event it IS a rogue app? my advice? is do a factory reset, do NOT restore from backup(you could invite the rogue right back in this way). go completely fresh. then go into the battery settings for every app you dont want running in the background(eg nbc, peacock) stuff that has no business being up at all without being invoked(loaded) by the user and set to restricted.

its what I did with my motorola. so far its performing as I'd hoped post factory reset.
I rather dislike doing factory resets. Not only is it a hassle to set everything back up, I just want to know the root cause of a problem.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
you think anyone likes this? sometimes theres no real choice.

I found it made things easier to set up a notepad, and list off everything by folder, any widgets, dock icons, etc. its a PITA setting accounts back up but thats the only PITA part.