Can't synch Samsung Tab-4 to Windows 10 Media Player

Stelcom66

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I used to be able to on a Windows 8.1 pc , now when connecting on my Windows 10 pc it's not detected. I saw a note on the tablet to download & install Kies. I did but got an error that it's 'side by side configuration is incorrect'

Is the device just not compatible with Win 10? I can see the main tablet memory and the SD card, can send .mp3 files to the Music directory. I can then create a playlist manually on the tablet, but it's much more time consuming that just synching from Windows Media Player.

kies.JPG

Stelcom66

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm out of luck. Posted on the Samsung support site. Their response:

"Mr. Steve

As we apologize as we review your query, Unfortunately we inform you that you device does not support the sync for windows 10 .

kindly if you have another query don't hesitate contact us."

The workaround I'm doing, while not ideal is synching playlists to a USB drive. I then go into the Music folder of that drive and transfer them to the tablet's SD card in a folder. I create a playlist from the files in that folder. Not ideal for genres that i prefer to have a particular playlist order, I could manually create a playlist on the tablet. Time consuming, but at least I'd still be able to use it.

Same thing with my external Seagate drive, it wasn't being recognized by Windows 10. At least there was a workaround for that by enabling a feature called SMB I believe. That has security concerns, but I rarely turn the external drive on.

I hate the way new operating systems make apps and devices obsolete. Windows Vista and 7 were fine for me.

Last edited:

Stelcom66

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Never heard of doubleTwist. Saw the classic player. What I liked doing was making a playlist on Windows Media Player and duplicating it on the Samsung tablet. It was fine with my old laptop. I assume doubleTwist is a streaming app that has a fee? I'm old school I guess. I still purchase music and make my own playlists on my pc and USB drive for the vehicle.

Maybe I was just lucky when it worked at all when it did. I do have a subscription to Pandora and stream that almost constantly when I'm home. I see doubleTwist refers to synching playlists, I may check it out. When I do play music from the tablet, I am home so streaming is an option. Maybe I need to give into the new trend of streaming - only if my collection could be played.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
doubleTwist has been around for a long time, and has always been marketed as "iTunes for Android." It can sync locally saved music files (and playlists) on a PC to an Android device. Use their Classic Player for that: https://www.doubletwist.com/player. They also have a Cloud Player, which is for cloud streaming, which I assume you're not interested in.

As far as I can tell, you only have to pay to get the premium features, including wireless AirSync: https://www.doubletwist.com/store/ But it sounds like the free version allows you to sync using USB without issue.

Stelcom66

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Tried doubleTwist - unfortunately the option to sync Music was grayed out. Thought it was going to work because the app recognized my Samsung tablet, and it's SD card, accurately showing it's capacity.

I went to a manual method. To get 3 different playlists - uploaded a folder with a particular genre to the tablet. In the tablet, Music - Recently Added I selected all files, then save as Playlist and named it accordingly. I then cleared the Recently Added list, which doesn't delete the files, just clears what was just added/uploaded. I uploaded other folders with the same method to create a few more playlists. Certainly not ideal and what I prefer, i always used to make a playlist based on each tune's characteristics. That goes way back to the early 70s when I'd make playlists on reel to reel, then cassettes. I even had an 8-track recorder and made a few cartridges.

Before Windows 8 there was an app called Acoustica that was great - it could create segues like I used to do with tapes with 2 turntables. The playlist could then be rendered to a single file. The Acoustica app stopped displaying the playlist with Windows 8 and the company discontinued support for it. I realize that can be done with Audacity but it would be very time consuming. Maybe Winamp too.

Stelcom66

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Interesting that it's the same screen in the example where I can't select the synch option. Still not ruling doubleTwist out as creating a playlist on the tablet itself was quite time consuming, and I don't even know if it can easily be modified.

After posting what I said above, did some research and found out it's relatively easy to change the order of an Android playlist on the device itself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair