Why is an icon badge not showing?

ianstewart1960

Jan 17, 2022
Visit site
I have just got a new A12 phone and used smart switch to bring over all my apps, data, contacts etc. This all proved very straight forward and successful. Except one item, for some reason the watttsapp icon is not displaying the badge showing how many messages I have. It is coming up on my lock screen and as a notification along the top of the screen but no little red dot with a number in the centre. I have checked everything and its all enabled as it should be. Please any help would be appreciated.

One other thing. I have 5 email accounts on the phone but when I open Gmail I am not seeing where the unopened mails are exactly. I have to open each account to see if it is in there. Is there a way of getting a number come up next to each account that has unread emails in?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just to be clear, all other icons show notification badges properly? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp?

Are you using the Gmail app or the Samsung Email app?

ianstewart1960

Jan 17, 2022
Visit site
No, that is the only thing I have not done yet. i was worried about losing all my past messages. I am using the gmail app.

I'm using the stock launcher.

All other icons are working fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, that is the only thing I have not done yet. i was worried about losing all my past messages. I am using the gmail app.
3rd party launcher won't lose that data.

So long press a empty spot on home page >tap home screen settings , is this on what I circled?
Screenshot_20220117-170916_One UI Home.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't personally use WhatsApp, but typically all of your messages would be saved to the WhatsApp servers in the cloud, not locally on your phone, so clearing the app cache/data would not wipe those messages out. When you log back into WhatsApp, everything should sync back.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

If all other icons are fine then long press whatsapp >tap info >notification