For about 80 percent of us, the only gps app ever used will be googlemaps. I know that you can put a single icon on you desktop to turn on and off your gps. But what typically happens to me is that I am on the road, use google maps, and forget to turn the gps off. I think everyone knows how fast the battery can drain with the GPS on. Is there a setting or an app that can enable gps when opening google maps and disable it when exitting. I hate finding myself away from home with a dead cell phone battery, typically that is the same time that I find out I have left my cell charger in the other car. I can't imagine there isn't some way to accomplish this since the gps is such a drain.
    04-29-2010 10:03 PM
    GPS isn't being used unless you're in an app that uses it. If you don't see the sattelite icon in the notification bar, your GPS isn't being used and it's not draining your battery. It's not like wifi where it's always searching and draining your battery, it's just on when you need it so you shouldn't worry about forgetting to turn it off.
    04-29-2010 10:12 PM
    Cool, I just moved up to an incredible from a RAZR, quite an upgrade for me. I just knew whenever I used VZnavigator with the RAZR for about 90 minutes, the battery was toast. So I just figured turning on the GPS would be the same type of drain on the incredible. So this is good news, I will just leave GPS on and not worry about it, it will only be an issue if I leave google maps running. Thanks
    04-29-2010 10:20 PM
    Some other apps that determine location drain it too. Weatherbug, for example, or the browser when opening it up to Google.com. You just have to watch out for the satellite in the notifications bar to make sure it's not being used. Glad to have you on Android, about time you upgraded from that thing. :P Let me know if you have any other questions.
    04-29-2010 10:56 PM
    You can use the "Auto-Enable GPS for Maps" application, which switches both WiFi and GPS on when you launch Maps, Navigation, Local or Latitude, and restores them to their old state (e.g. switched off) when you quit these apps. Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...duniti.mapsgps
    06-26-2013 10:32 AM