so i installed pandora and slacker last night and played around with them. it doesnt seem like either one has a menu option to exit the program. i understand by reading this forum that android will take care of automatically shutting down apps, but it doesn't look like that's the case with either of these apps.

i stopped using them (no music streaming) and hours later the system said they were still actively running in the background.

if everyone says that task killers are not a good idea, these apps pose an issue. do i need to dig through the system menu and manually force them to close every time i use slacker/pandora???
    04-30-2010 08:43 AM
    so i installed pandora and slacker last night and played around with them. it doesnt seem like either one has a menu option to exit the program. i understand by reading this forum that android will take care of automatically shutting down apps, but it doesn't look like that's the case with either of these apps.

i stopped using them (no music streaming) and hours later the system said they were still actively running in the background.

if everyone says that task killers are not a good idea, these apps pose an issue. do i need to dig through the system menu and manually force them to close every time i use slacker/pandora???
    Nope, just hit pause and go on your merry way. Since the app isn't actually streaming anything, the OS will shut down the app on it's own if it needs to free up the memory or anything.
    04-30-2010 08:55 AM
    Slacker Most deffinatlly has a close. Hit menue, then quite, then a screen will prompt u to close, and these programs are NO issue! People just don't understand Android at all! This isn't a WinMo, or BB device! Android will learn your habbits, and keep frequentlly used apps going in the background, so they can open quicklly. There is absolutelly NO adverse affects from this! Let Android do its thing! Android is really pretty amazing! Enjoy!!!!!!
    04-30-2010 09:08 AM
    Slacker on pause has virtually no effect on battery or CPU use from my time with it. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's showing up as a significant % of your battery use while on pause.
    04-30-2010 09:10 AM
    yes sorry slacker has a quit button, but 10 minutes later it's still running...
    pandora has nothing
    04-30-2010 09:18 AM
    yes sorry slacker has a quit button, but 10 minutes later it's still running...
    pandora has nothing
    You mean, aside from Menu > Quit ?
    04-30-2010 09:22 AM
    You mean, aside from Menu > Quit ?
    Yea Pandora you go to menu then quit while in the application. Shuts it down.
    04-30-2010 10:20 AM
    ok so why is it that neither program actually quits when you press the quit button? is this normal for android? makes no sense when i press quit and both are still running in processes for 2 hours after pressing the button...
    04-30-2010 10:21 AM
    ok so why is it that neither program actually quits when you press the quit button? is this normal for android? makes no sense when i press quit and both are still running in processes for 2 hours after pressing the button...
    Just ignore it. Android is unlike most other mobile OS's you have used in the past. It is fantastic, you don't have to worry about what is running and what is not, the system itself handles all of that.

If I were you, I would just uninstall any task killers (they cause more harm than good with force closes) and don't even worry about what may or may not be running in the background as even though some things are still in the background, they aren't eating up resources and thus not using any cpu/battery power.
    04-30-2010 10:28 AM
    Just ignore it. Android is unlike most other mobile OS's you have used in the past. It is fantastic, you don't have to worry about what is running and what is not, the system itself handles all of that.

If I were you, I would just uninstall any task killers (they cause more harm than good with force closes) and don't even worry about what may or may not be running in the background as even though some things are still in the background, they aren't eating up resources and thus not using any cpu/battery power.
    He won't get it! He will have to learn like I did when the Moto Droid came out. It took me a couple weeks untill I listened to everyone, and rid myself of task killers, and was better off! Part of the learning curve I guess!
    04-30-2010 10:41 AM
    Are you using the widgets for Slacker and Pandora? That might be what's showing up in your task killer, not the app itself.
    04-30-2010 02:00 PM
    I use an app called Tasker and it lets you program your phone. I've got mine to start up Slacker when I plug in my headphones or audio and to turn it off when I unplug. I think you can even configure it so that when you plug in it prompts you which one you want to activate and when you unplug it will kill whichever one is running. Very cool app - it does a lot more than this too.

Tasker for Android
    04-30-2010 02:05 PM
    I have both Pandora and Slacker, this morning I made a discovery that even if you close Slacker down it will continue to run and unfortunately will keep you're phone awake (Thanks to SpareParts), I simply just go into manage applications and click on force stop. I do not know why it does this, I would suggest you get screenshots and email them to the devs to report the issue before we all decide to give up on them.
    06-11-2010 02:43 PM
    It is unfortunately pretty normal.
    Here's what Larry Page said: "software running in the background, that just sort of exhausts the battery quickly."
    06-12-2010 05:44 AM
    There is an update to Pandora today.
    The service stops when you quit the app. ( according to spare parts )

mark
    06-12-2010 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD