11-05-2016 06:52 AM
168 1234 ...
tools
    For those of you coming from a Blackberry and you do NOT get notifications I would suggest deleting the Blackberry permissions and then trying what I said in the original post. If you're happy not getting notifications and just complaining about it that's on you and keep on doing what you're doing.
    Not complaining. Just stating that this doesn't work for me. No need to get snippy cause you made the front page. And I will continue what I'm doing cause your trick don't work.
    08-07-2011 04:52 PM
    I haven't tried this yet, so I can't say nay or yea. Currently I'm using friendcaster - and push notification work flawlessly. I mean the moment someone like, comment, etc on your wall, posts, etc...you get a notification almost instantly. I always wonder why Android Facebook notifications doesn't ever work like this.
    Glad FriendCaster works for you. I was using it recently but stopped because it was cutting my battery life in half. Also, I never got push notifications with FC. Only when it checked for updates, which if I remember correctly can be set as low as 1 minute.
    08-07-2011 05:41 PM
    Glad FriendCaster works for you. I was using it recently but stopped because it was cutting my battery life in half. Also, I never got push notifications with FC. Only when it checked for updates, which if I remember correctly can be set as low as 1 minute.
    I really think that the device in question poses as a main factor in the perfection of most apps. I'm using an HTC EVO 4G. Push notification have and is still working flawlessly using friendcaster.
    08-07-2011 05:56 PM
    Update It worked on my Thunderbolt!! Yay!!

Well...I tried it using the Blackberry Simulator. It's in my applications on FB on the web...so we'll see if I can get notifications super fast again. I sure do miss it. That's probably the one thing I miss from Blackberry lol
    08-07-2011 06:01 PM
    Being a dual-device user (Bold 9700 and HTC Desire HD now), I have to say I never experienced this issue. In fact, I never even knew it was an issue, I have always gotten Facebook notifications at nearly the exact same time on both devices. Of course, it may be because the Bold was around before the HTC Desire HD was in my possession. A buddy of mine has an HTC Desire, I'm not sure how facebook's been working for him as far as updates go, but he hasn't complained any really.... then again I don't think he's a major power user on FB.
    08-07-2011 06:54 PM
    I haven't tried this yet, so I can't say nay or yea. Currently I'm using friendcaster - and push notification work flawlessly. I mean the moment someone like, comment, etc on your wall, posts, etc...you get a notification almost instantly. I always wonder why Android Facebook notifications doesn't ever work like this.
    I was actually using Friendcaster until the new Gmail update broke the app. That's what really forced me back into figuring this thing out. It's funny how frustration is a motivator for some
    08-07-2011 08:36 PM
    Very interesting find, I have both a 9780 and a MT4G. On the Bold the push works flawlessly. The MT is intermittent. Sometimes I get them immediately (compared to when I'm on the computer and the phone is sitting next to me) sometimes they come in minutes later. I don't see how enabling "notifications" under the FB settings for BB will affect the Android's. And the notifications box has always been checked on my MT. So....anyone else care to elaborate?
    08-07-2011 09:39 PM
    Those who say it's coincidence are wrong. I just downloaded the BB 9650 simulator, installed and set facebook up on it, and my notifications now work properly on the Samsung Epic Facebook App version 1.6.3. They did NOT work before. My facebook account is brand new and never had the Blackberry app attached to it, and now it does.
    08-08-2011 12:22 AM
    hmm, very interesting find.. I wonder if different manufacturer UI's effect this working.. I saw someone with a T-Bolt also say it didn't work but those with other UI's say it does.. could Sense UI's much deeper modifications and already built in Facebook integration be what messes that up?.. Anyways, I am running OMGB (AOSP) on my DInc so I'm gonna give this a try and see if it works for me..I've always gotten messages, friend request and sometimes events notifications but never wall post, likes and commented on notifications so this would be great if it works! Thanks OP!
    08-08-2011 12:46 AM
    I don't know what all we end up getting but so far I've received wall posts and messages. I've only had this since shortly before I posted last though so I haven't actually had any of the other activities.

The BB app thing may defy logic, but it definitely is true, at least for some users.
    08-08-2011 01:05 AM
    in everyone's Authorized Applications list on Facebook do you have anything about Facebook for Android? I have HTC Sense but nothing authorizing the Android Facebook App.. that to me is a big red flag and would explain why the BB one works and the Android one doesn't.. it never asks to be authorized to access your account on this level like BB does. Anyone prove me otherwise.. Sense UI authorization I believe was only to allow it to post to your wall and read your info but if I remember correctly never gave notifications.
    08-08-2011 01:16 AM
    Nothing about FB for Android on mine. That also told me the same thing, but it doesn't explain why Blackberry makes it work.
    08-08-2011 01:29 AM
    maybe not coincidence, but it is definitely not a requirement to have used a BB to get notifications on android.

i do not have "Facebook for Android" in my apps list, but I do have "HTC Sense" and notifications are working for me.
    08-08-2011 08:18 AM
    Works like a charm for me on the SGS2, thanks! A much needed improvement for Android & FB
    08-08-2011 08:19 AM
    maybe not coincidence, but it is definitely not a requirement to have used a BB to get notifications on android.

i do not have "Facebook for Android" in my apps list, but I do have "HTC Sense" and notifications are working for me.
    I'm thinking that "Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones" as it's called is actually a generic notifications app and could be titled "Notifications for Smartphones" if app developers wanted to call it that. I think what's happening is Facebook wasn't coded properly to install this same exact app with their own title, causing a lack of notifications.

Some phones, I think, have integration that doesn't require such application installation on the Facebook site, and those users are the ones who are saying it works fine without the app...because it does.

Is there MORE functionality with the BlackBerry app installed for Android? Maybe it sends out notifications that other integrated phones don't get. Maybe it doesn't. I don't know.
    08-08-2011 08:28 AM

But are you getting all the notifications? That's the point of this workaround. Getting notifications quickly and more consistently.

Sent from my wildheroc using Tapatalk
    08-08-2011 08:54 AM
    Damn.. No one i know still has a BB..
    08-08-2011 02:12 PM
    in everyone's Authorized Applications list on Facebook do you have anything about Facebook for Android? I have HTC Sense but nothing authorizing the Android Facebook App.. that to me is a big red flag and would explain why the BB one works and the Android one doesn't.. it never asks to be authorized to access your account on this level like BB does. Anyone prove me otherwise.. Sense UI authorization I believe was only to allow it to post to your wall and read your info but if I remember correctly never gave notifications.
    Just checked mine.. I have one that says DROID.... I use a Droid X and have NEVER gotten push notifications.. I come from a BB but deleted the BB app from my list when i changed over.. Guess now i should have kept it.
    08-08-2011 02:20 PM
    I just tried this and no luck. Oh well. Thanks for the tip anyways.

Edit: I logged in on a BB Torch and set it up for notifications and on FB site it shows FB for BB Smartphones and I had my wife post on my wall and no dice. FB on my phone has notifications turned on and no go.
    08-08-2011 05:00 PM
    Damn.. No one i know still has a BB..
    get the simulator, that what I did after dchawk81 said that's what they used. I haven't started getting notifications yet though so I'm going through settings and trying to see what I can find..
    08-08-2011 06:05 PM
    So I did this today, and it feels like it was just jumpstarting a dead battery. They worked for half the day, and then for some reason they totally seemed to stop again. Not exactly sure why but it's quite annoying that users of Android - the most popular smartphone OS in the United States - have to go to these lengths to get proper notifications working.
    08-08-2011 06:55 PM
    I did this tonight from a friend's BB, tested wall posts and messages, and it worked PERFECTLY. Not sure what the future will hold, if it continues to work or not, but a little while is better than nothing.
    08-08-2011 11:34 PM
    let's start to include what device, ROM and OS version with our posts. just so we can keep tabs on if that has anything to do with it.

Droid Incredible
    OMGB 1.2.2

not working... so far
    08-09-2011 12:22 AM
    After almost 2 days it is still working without incident.

Droid Incredible 2
    2.3.3 Stock

I also tested it on my OG Droid and it works on it as well, running CM7. In fact both of the notifications hit both phones seconds before the email comes.

I did it using a BB Tour simulator as I posted before (although I doubt that makes any difference).
    08-09-2011 03:28 AM
    let's start to include what device, ROM and OS version with our posts. just so we can keep tabs on if that has anything to do with it.

Droid Incredible
    OMGB 1.2.2

not working... so far
    **UPDATE**

So I woke up this morning and had a silly little icon on my notification bar I had never seen previously.. a little white sign looking thing and to my delight.. PUSH NOTIFICATIONS!! HAHA! so looks like they are working for me now. (for now?...)

How I think I got it to work.. From Facebook I did go into Account>Account Settings then on the left navigation selected [Notifications]. under the section All Notifications I clicked on [Other Applications] you might have to click the [show more] but make sure any app you want notifications from (in this case Facebook for Blackberry) is checked. I did also mess about going under each option (Facebook, Photos, Groups etc.) and make sure it was set to send me notifications, for some reason somethings I swear that were enabled weren't so I re-set everything up how I wanted and saved my settings. I doubt these other options did much but it might be worth the try and hey, they should be set how you want right?!

P.S.
    I emailed the Facebook for Android Dev Team and pretty much called them out on this whole push notifications crap asking if they had a plan/eta/gave a crap.. I'm sure (at least I hope) they have received other emails about it but it's important as members of the Android community that we email devs feedback and not just give them 1* and say it's crap and doesn't work or doesn't have a feature because 99% of the devs out there don't read the comments nor is that the place for bug reporting beyond letting fellow users of a device know "hey this doesn't work for us.. might want to check back later!" Anyways, IF I hear back from them I'll pass anything along.. I just want to know why they feel things like checking in, chat and pages are more important than a v1.0 feature of letting us frakking know we have a "like" or wall post wasn't in v1.0!!
    08-09-2011 12:46 PM
168 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD