11-05-2016 06:52 AM
168 12345 ...
tools
    I just tried this and no luck. Oh well. Thanks for the tip anyways.

Edit: I logged in on a BB Torch and set it up for notifications and on FB site it shows FB for BB Smartphones and I had my wife post on my wall and no dice. FB on my phone has notifications turned on and no go.
    Try this. After making sure the BB notifications in FB are set, remove the FB app, power down, pull battery, Reinsert battery and boot, install FB app. That is what it took for me to get it working.
    08-09-2011 01:16 PM
    Try this. After making sure the BB notifications in FB are set, remove the FB app, power down, pull battery, Reinsert battery and boot, install FB app. That is what it took for me to get it working.
    might be able to get away with just clearing the data.. I forgot to mention in my updated post that I did that last night as well, to see if I could kick start them. just a thought..
    08-09-2011 01:21 PM
    I tried this today and it worked!
    08-09-2011 02:22 PM
    Working for me so far on my EVO 3D
    08-09-2011 03:56 PM
    I tried this today and my notifications are instant. I dont even want to attempt to understand it, but am just happy I finally get notifications.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Wicket and rodohmes like this.
    08-09-2011 06:14 PM
    Tried it and it worked for me!! Thank goodness my friend could get them on her Inspire with no problems and it was driving me crazy. Hooray!!! Now if only the new market would make its way to my Evo.
    08-10-2011 11:44 AM
    Ok so I had a Storm2 and deleted the app when I switched to my DroidX (stock 2.3.3). Of course I no longer got notifications. So upon seeing this I grabbed my wife's Storm2 and re-added the app. I followed the procedures and nothing. Nada. Zilch, Zippo. In fact now I'm not even getting my email notifications to my Gmail account like I should be. So something is happening, I'm just not sure of what it could be. Could it be because I have SMS notifications turned on? Well lets find out.
    I think I had the same thing happen to me when I first tried this, I was going through the notification settings on Facebook and noticed a lot of my notifications were unchecked for things that I am pretty sure were checked prior to my signing in with a BB.. I'd suggest checking these settings out and make sure settings are how you want and see if that changes anything..
    at first this trick didn't work for me either but after fixing what notifications I get, made sure all those settings on FB were set correct and clearing the Data of the Facebook for Android app (you'll have to log back in) they started working. good luck!

maybe not coincidence, but it is definitely not a requirement to have used a BB to get notifications on android.
    i do not have "Facebook for Android" in my apps list, but I do have "HTC Sense" and notifications are working for me.
    I think that manufacturers UI's and integrations have a lot to do with this. I know back when I was stock on my DInc and had Sense I remember being signed into the HTC FB but never used it and used the FB for Android instead. if you're using the built in stuff that may be why. not sure if you are but it's a thought and might shed light.

I'm thinking that "Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones" as it's called is actually a generic notifications app and could be titled "Notifications for Smartphones" if app developers wanted to call it that. I think what's happening is Facebook wasn't coded properly to install this same exact app with their own title, causing a lack of notifications.

Some phones, I think, have integration that doesn't require such application installation on the Facebook site, and those users are the ones who are saying it works fine without the app...because it does.

Is there MORE functionality with the BlackBerry app installed for Android? Maybe it sends out notifications that other integrated phones don't get. Maybe it doesn't. I don't know.
    I think you may be onto something here!

Also I think some people on here are miss interpreting getting a notification vs push notifications. I get notifications from the facebook app it's just it only checks at the minimum every 30 min. (I've gotten the email and already been to facebook 2 or 3 times in that time..) so by the time it is checking for things they're already gone.. also the FB app only gives notifications for Messages, Events and Friend Invites.. not Wall Posts, Comments and Likes
    08-10-2011 12:28 PM
    Worked for me. Although I had to enable notifications in the BB FB app first.

It never worked for me before. Finally I can turn off email updates from FB.

HTC Evo 4G
    Rooted Sense 2.3.3 (Unrevoked on 2.2, then updated)
    08-11-2011 03:12 AM
    also the FB app only gives notifications for Messages, Events and Friend Invites.. not Wall Posts, Comments and Likes
    Actually, it does give notifications for wall posts, comments, and even pokes. What it doesn't do is likes but it does notify within the app (you just don't get it sent to you) and the pokes are notified but you can't poke someone back in the app.

It also doesn't refresh the notifications feed properly. If it's a new person joining it'll refresh and show it but if it's a two person "conversation" that's happening, it won't.

So yeah even though notifications work, the app isn't "there" yet.
    08-11-2011 03:17 AM
    As an easier alternative than hunting for a BB, you might give my small app a try, which tries to fill the gap the official app has with notifications:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...bnotifications
    08-11-2011 05:08 AM
    As an easier alternative than hunting for a BB, you might give my small app a try, which tries to fill the gap the official app has with notifications:
    That app is all well & good but you don't need to hunt for a BlackBerry. It's already been covered in the thread.
    08-11-2011 07:49 AM
    Does it give wall post notifications?

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.
    08-11-2011 07:54 AM
    unbelievably.....THIS WORKS!!!! it is now working on my X and my wife's D1. she's thrilled. I used a girl i work with's BB and logged into both my wife and my fb account...let them load up...then logged out. i checked my privacy settings online and the FB for Blackberry app was granted access to our accounts. from that point on both my wife and I have been receiving instant notifications on our phones. and i mean instant. we tested sending inbox messages to one another and literally within 1 or 2 seconds of sending a message...the other persons phone would receive the notification!!
    08-11-2011 09:55 AM
    Actually, it does give notifications for wall posts, comments, and even pokes. What it doesn't do is likes but it does notify within the app (you just don't get it sent to you) and the pokes are notified but you can't poke someone back in the app.

It also doesn't refresh the notifications feed properly. If it's a new person joining it'll refresh and show it but if it's a two person "conversation" that's happening, it won't.

So yeah even though notifications work, the app isn't "there" yet.
    I stand corrected I have only ever gotten notified in the notification bar for messages, friend requests and event invites. I have never been notified in the bar about comments or wall posts etc. I do however see all "notifications" for everything by going into the app and selecting notifications but that's work and I may as well go to the website at that point. :P
    I guess what I was trying clarify/point out was the difference between a push notifications, waiting 30 min for the app to notify, notifications inside the app and manufacturer UI FB integrations so that people stop claiming the app works fine when really it's just they came from a BB or they are just opening the app and seeing all their notifications in there.

All I know is that this BB work around is the find of the year and by finding a friend with a BB or downloading the BB Simulator you will start receiving push notifications.

Here is a list I've started showing all the devices people have got it working on.. I'm sure this list should have every device available on it

HTC EVO 3D

Motorola XPRT

HTC Droid Incredible 2
    stock 2.3.3

OG Droid
    CM7

HTC Thunderbolt

Samsung Epic

Samsung Galaxy SII

HTC Droid Incredible
    Stock 2.2
    OMGM
    CM7

Motorola Droid X
    CM7
    08-11-2011 01:41 PM
    I came from a blackberry but almost never got notifications. I took the blackberry app out of my facebook settings about 6 months ago. I added it back using the blackberry simulator and now I get notifications again! Don't know about chat yet, but wall posts and messages come through
    08-11-2011 02:47 PM
    Fired up my Blackberry 9700 last night on wi-fi to try this. After updating the BB Facebook app had no problem logging in and going from there.

Just remembered to check permissions on FB and, sure enough, Blackberry permissions are there.

And I'm STILL not getting push notifications on my phone.

HTC Inspire. Stock 2.3.3
    08-11-2011 03:34 PM
    Fired up my Blackberry 9700 last night on wi-fi to try this. After updating the BB Facebook app had no problem logging in and going from there.

Just remembered to check permissions on FB and, sure enough, Blackberry permissions are there.

And I'm STILL not getting push notifications on my phone.

HTC Inspire. Stock 2.3.3
    I don't know if it was me changing anything or if it just took a bit for it to kick in but I cleared the FB app data, made sure BB for FB was checked under FB Account Settings>Notifications as well as made sure all the other settings were set right (you said you did this so you can skip or double check) then see if you start getting them. it should start working for you! good luck!
    08-11-2011 03:43 PM
    as a former BB user I had my fb setting set for BB, never got notifications from my captivate, but my SGS2 works great. after reading this post, I checked my settings, then turned my update interval to never, did a test msg, came thru within 2 seconds of sending.....looks like this post is bang on.....at least if you're using gingerbread...
    08-11-2011 11:24 PM
    Does it give wall post notifications?

It is what I wrote the app for: I needed notifications as on the website page, couldn't find any lightweight app to do it (when FriendCaster was just called Flow it did something like that, but then it grew to becoming a full-fledged replacement for the FB app, not what I wanted) and so made one myself.

To be brutally honest it sometimes seems to miss a few notifications once in a while, but it apparently is a FB API bug: in fact other apps which handle notifications (for instance, the Chrome extension I use) also don't get the same notifications, which means something's definitely wrong on the FB side. I've opened a bug on their developers forum and hope to have it tackled soon.
    08-12-2011 09:21 AM
    It is what I wrote the app for: I needed notifications as on the website page, couldn't find any lightweight app to do it (when FriendCaster was just called Flow it did something like that, but then it grew to becoming a full-fledged replacement for the FB app, not what I wanted) and so made one myself.

To be brutally honest it sometimes seems to miss a few notifications once in a while, but it apparently is a FB API bug: in fact other apps which handle notifications (for instance, the Chrome extension I use) also don't get the same notifications, which means something's definitely wrong on the FB side. I've opened a bug on their developers forum and hope to have it tackled soon.
    Thanks for being honest....I still might give it a try...

08-12-2011 09:44 AM
    That app is all well & good but you don't need to hunt for a BlackBerry. It's already been covered in the thread.
    I'm sorry, I chimed in the conversation after many pages and missed some posts... however, the BB simulator solution wouldn't work for me, since as far as I know it's Windows only and I'm a Linux user (although it may work on Wine, who knows).

It would be interesting to know what the app id of the Blackberry app is, and check which are the permissions it requests: this way one could also try to manually install the app through Facebook's oauth authentication, without needing any BB or BB simulator (but it's just a guess and a long shot, probably).
    08-12-2011 09:51 AM
    I don't know if it was me changing anything or if it just took a bit for it to kick in but I cleared the FB app data, made sure BB for FB was checked under FB Account Settings>Notifications as well as made sure all the other settings were set right (you said you did this so you can skip or double check) then see if you start getting them. it should start working for you! good luck!
    This worked....had to completely log out of the FB app on my Inspire, once I was logged out and everything cleared itself out, all I did was log back in...let the phone resync itself with my FB stuff (which is a minor aggravation but the means justify the ends) and at some point after that (don't remember exactly how long it took) the notifications (wall posts, comments, etc) started showing up.

So whoever is keeping a list of phones this works with you can def add the Inspire 4G to the list (just so long as you - the user - remember to log out of your on device app to clear it out then log back in at least)
    08-12-2011 01:18 PM
    WORKED FOR ME!!!!

HTC EVO

Thank you!
    08-12-2011 02:39 PM
    I'm sorry, I chimed in the conversation after many pages and missed some posts... however, the BB simulator solution wouldn't work for me, since as far as I know it's Windows only and I'm a Linux user (although it may work on Wine, who knows).

It would be interesting to know what the app id of the Blackberry app is, and check which are the permissions it requests: this way one could also try to manually install the app through Facebook's oauth authentication, without needing any BB or BB simulator (but it's just a guess and a long shot, probably).
    I figured the sim would work on non-Windows boxes to but admittedly I don't recall seeing an OS selection when I downloaded it.
    08-12-2011 02:46 PM
    I figured the sim would work on non-Windows boxes to but admittedly I don't recall seeing an OS selection when I downloaded it.
    Until some time ago it definitely was Windows only, I know since I've been marginally involved in BlackBerry development as well.

Just for the sake of completeness, I've tried the attempt I mentioned. I used the oauth mechanism to install the BlackBarry app at least from the Facebook point of view: now I have it in the list of applications I authorized, and from the amount of permissions it lists I think it's the right one, which means it's just as if I actually had it installed. No change in my FB app though, no new option in the settings, even by clearing the data: maybe it's not just a matter of app permissions, something needs to be enabled from the BB app itself, who knows.
    08-12-2011 05:49 PM
168 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD