Facebook Push Notifications - SOLVED!!!

Lemming_uk

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Fantastic job on fixing this.

Downloaded the simulator last night and all sorted - Samsung Galaxy S2 (sim-free) stock.

Much better than polling for updates (which actually never worked properly for me anyway).

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Umm, this isn't true. I came from a Blackberry, have Facebook for blackberry on my application list and have no push notifications. Nice try. How about we just change this thread to Facebook doesn't care about how push notifications have been broken since they were released and have done nothing to try and fix it leaving users to try and make up reasons as to why they don't work..

I politely and respectively disagree. This step does work for me. I'm currently using an HTC EVO 4G - just log on to my Facebook account using my friend's blackberry - I did exactly what the thread author described he did. I then logout and login into my fb account on my phone. I then went straight to settings - and even though notifications on my fb for android app was already checked, I unchecked it and then go ahead and checked it again. I started receiving push notifications to my phone. Comments and likes were being push to my phone as soon as they were made.

As a Reminder; make sure you have notifications turned on in privacy / account settings. You can either set notifications to be sent to your phone either by Emais or Text messages.

Last edited:

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Facebook notifications worked perfect for me up until they rolled out the latest change in Facebook. Now I no longer get push notifications, and the BlackBerry trick no longer works. Has anyone figured this out yet?

Edit: Nevermind, got it working again! After I did all that with the BlackBerry, I just went and did a Clear Data from my Facebook app and set everything back up, and now push notifications are working again. No idea what happened...

Last edited:
Reactions: the2ndflood

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but doing the trick I have gotten notifications I wasn't before, but when I select it and it takes me to the FB app, the item isn't listed in the notifications spot. So it appears it is notifying me of something new happening, but I can't get to the new info directly from the icon at the top of the device.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but doing the trick I have gotten notifications I wasn't before, but when I select it and it takes me to the FB app, the item isn't listed in the notifications spot. So it appears it is notifying me of something new happening, but I can't get to the new info directly from the icon at the top of the device.
I have an HTC Evo and notification works fine. Try clearing data from the FB app. Login and see how that work out for you.

killias2

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been sitting here for around 2 hours trying to get the various Blackberry simulators to work.

I'm going crazy over here.

Honestly, I don't even know if I've downloaded and installed the right Java packages, and I hate to think what I've done to my system by installing a bunch of nonsense just to get Facebook droid to work as it supposed to work.

Can anyone really break down this process? Treat me like a moron. I honestly feel completely lost here. I have a simulator up and working, but it won't connect to the internet. I then realized I needed a separate simulator for the network.. but it doesn't seem to be working. There seem to be 10,000 reasons why it won't work, and I honestly just feel like shooting myself in the face right now.

God, I'm troubleshooting a non-working java package necessary to get a network simulator working to get a blackberry simulator working to sign into Facebook, get Facebook for BB, and hope to God that this actually gets me push notifications on my brand new Galaxy S II. I'm really losing it here. Any help would be super appreciated!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Okay, first thing first... Did you read and follow exactly what the thread author wrote? The process is as simple as it's written. (No pun intended) All you need is a working blackberry phone (one that's connected to a network) -- Next, make sure you have the Facebook for Android application installed on your Android device. From the BB phone login to your facebook account. (Make sure that the BB phone has the facebook app installed on it). Wait until news feed loads up, then sign out of your account - that's it.

Open your Facebook app on your Android phone... go to settings - make sure theirs a check sign in the notification box. You should now start to receive "push notification" on your device. Also, make sure notification is enabled on your Facebook account. You can check that via PC full site.

Best of luck. :):)

killias2

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay, first thing first... Did you read and follow exactly what the thread author wrote? The process is as simple as it's written. (No pun intended) All you need is a working blackberry phone (one that's connected to a network) -- Next, make sure you have the Facebook for Android application installed on your Android device. From the BB phone login to your facebook account. (Make sure that the BB phone has the facebook app installed on it). Wait until news feed loads up, then sign out of your account - that's it.

Open your Facebook app on your Android phone... go to settings - make sure theirs a check sign in the notification box. You should now start to receive "push notification" on your device. Also, make sure notification is enabled on your Facebook account. You can check that via PC full site.

Best of luck. :):)

I appreciate the assistance, but I do not have access to an actual BB. As such, I'm trying to get the simulator up and working. If anyone has any advice on that, I would be much obliged. If not, I've found FriendCaster seems to do most of what I need it to do.

Thanks again for replying!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the simulator and it's working but it doesn't have a Facebook app on it, and it's painful trying to get it without app world on the simulator!

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the simulator and it's working but it doesn't have a Facebook app on it, and it's painful trying to get it without app world on the simulator!

You need to also have the blackberry MDS installed. It is the mail and data server and allows the sim to connect to the internet. Then you can just go to the facebook website from the sim and download it and run it.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

Reactions: ihbsbA

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

you need the JDK for the simulator to run. also the simulator should have the FB app pre-installed.. as long as you're using the one dchawk81 posted about it should be there and all you do is sign in, allow access to your account and sign out.

Reactions: ihbsbA

brangwen

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
This "work around" was working great for me on my HTC Incredible (running gingerbread)... but suddenly stopped working 2 days ago. I have gotten no notifications since Sunday (11/6/11).

I checked my FB account and the blackberry app is still there and appears to be fine.

Anyone else? :-\

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
This "work around" was working great for me on my HTC Incredible (running gingerbread)... but suddenly stopped working 2 days ago. I have gotten no notifications since Sunday (11/6/11).

I checked my FB account and the blackberry app is still there and appears to be fine.

Mine stopped a few days ago. I just went to facebook on the computer, unchecked the notification for the blackberry push saved it and then went and re-enabled it. Works fine again now.

ccw1134

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine stopped a few days ago. I just went to facebook on the computer, unchecked the notification for the blackberry push saved it and then went and re-enabled it. Works fine again now.

If you haven't tried rebooting your phone yet I'd suggest that. If you don't get anywhere go into Settings>Manage Applications>Facebook and clear your cache. You may also have to clear your data too (which would mean that you have to sign in again and do your initial setup since it's like a new install at that point). I can't remember which process fixed my problem when I had it happen to me once.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

seems to happen after a while for me too. I just clear the FB apps data and cache and re log in and they'll start again.. annoying but still worth getting the notifications.. if only everyone would shift to G+ eh or.. at least FB get their act together and make their app work.

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess I must be one of those lucky ones, who did the process one time and never had any problems thus far. If you're not getting notification as you did before, just clear data from the FB for Android app, or unchecked & rechecked the notification box in settings.

Last edited:

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
seems to happen after a while for me too. I just clear the FB apps data and cache and re log in and they'll start again.. annoying but still worth getting the notifications.. if only everyone would shift to G+ eh or.. at least FB get their act together and make their app work.

Agreed. Mine was definitely server side because I even tried a different phone and rom (not for that reason, I just have a few so it is easy to test). I have had the data/cache help before but this was different. I was offering up what I did to correct mine since it was not rom or device related this time.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Mine was definitely server side because I even tried a different phone and rom (not for that reason, I just have a few so it is easy to test). I have had the data/cache help before but this was different. I was offering up what I did to correct mine since it was not rom or device related this time.

sorry, I had totally quoted the wrong post previously.. :-[

on the up side I can turn this into setup to say your solution is always best to try first. if toggling notifications off and on on the FB site doesn't work (which it usually does) then try the notifications off/on option in the app and clearing the cache. then as a last resort, clearing the app data. sorry for any confusion folks.

Reactions: bjn714

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I guess I must be one of those lucky ones, who did the process one time and never had any problems thus far. If you're not getting notification as you did before, just clear data from the FB for Android app, or unchecked & rechecked the notification box in settings.

I'm with you. I logged into the Facebook app on my little brother's BlackBerry, cleared the data in the Android app once, signed back in, & have gotten instant push notifications ever since.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae