Facebook Push Notifications - SOLVED!!!

Slashdpc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I think someone moving from a Blackberry to a new Android phone and having push notifcations work for Facebook is just a matter of coincidence. I recently was pondering why my push notes weren't working as well. I cleared Facebook's application cache under Applications in Settings on my phone. This solved my issue. You will have to relog in and resync your contacts, but it's worth doing.

dominiej

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Now the big problem is to <i>find</i> a <i>consumer</i> Blackberry user... I have a couple friends who use them for business, but they're not able to access FB from their phones...

People do still use these devices outside of enterprise, no?

EDIT: no BB code on the mobile site?? =(

Last edited:

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I think someone moving from a Blackberry to a new Android phone and having push notifcations work for Facebook is just a matter of coincidence. I recently was pondering why my push notes weren't working as well. I cleared Facebook's application cache under Applications in Settings on my phone. This solved my issue. You will have to relog in and resync your contacts, but it's worth doing.

I have had this problem from the beginning of FB push notifications across 6 devices. I have tried all solutions including cache multiple times, reinstall, different roms, etc. I never get push notifications sooner than an hour after or sometimes up to a few days later. Once in a while they would work, but not reliable enough to even use. I sent a quantity of tests before and only got one in a hour out of 10 different activities, from wall posts to messages to comments. Same test after this, I am now getting the push notifications within seconds and usually before the email. Works perfectly, for now at least.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried this yet, so I can't say nay or yea. Currently I'm using friendcaster - and push notification work flawlessly. I mean the moment someone like, comment, etc on your wall, posts, etc...you get a notification almost instantly. I always wonder why Android Facebook notifications doesn't ever work like this.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Tried this...didn't work.

Ya also gotta realize that Facebook has virtually no incentive to make this work on smartphones...or the app to work at all. They'd much rather have you using the desktop client where they can display ads, which is how they get their revenue.

Goat-Tee

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
For those of you coming from a Blackberry and you do NOT get notifications I would suggest deleting the Blackberry permissions and then trying what I said in the original post. If you're happy not getting notifications and just complaining about it that's on you and keep on doing what you're doing.

Not complaining. Just stating that this doesn't work for me. No need to get snippy cause you made the front page. And I will continue what I'm doing cause your trick don't work.

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried this yet, so I can't say nay or yea. Currently I'm using friendcaster - and push notification work flawlessly. I mean the moment someone like, comment, etc on your wall, posts, etc...you get a notification almost instantly. I always wonder why Android Facebook notifications doesn't ever work like this.
Glad FriendCaster works for you. I was using it recently but stopped because it was cutting my battery life in half. Also, I never got push notifications with FC. Only when it checked for updates, which if I remember correctly can be set as low as 1 minute.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Glad FriendCaster works for you. I was using it recently but stopped because it was cutting my battery life in half. Also, I never got push notifications with FC. Only when it checked for updates, which if I remember correctly can be set as low as 1 minute.
I really think that the device in question poses as a main factor in the perfection of most apps. I'm using an HTC EVO 4G. Push notification have and is still working flawlessly using friendcaster.

musicandnumbers

Apr 1, 2010
www.twitter.com
Update It worked on my Thunderbolt!! Yay!!

Well...I tried it using the Blackberry Simulator. It's in my applications on FB on the web...so we'll see if I can get notifications super fast again. I sure do miss it. That's probably the one thing I miss from Blackberry lol

Last edited:

jonno_atamaniuk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Being a dual-device user (Bold 9700 and HTC Desire HD now), I have to say I never experienced this issue. In fact, I never even knew it was an issue, I have always gotten Facebook notifications at nearly the exact same time on both devices. Of course, it may be because the Bold was around before the HTC Desire HD was in my possession. A buddy of mine has an HTC Desire, I'm not sure how facebook's been working for him as far as updates go, but he hasn't complained any really.... then again I don't think he's a major power user on FB.

ccw1134

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site

I was actually using Friendcaster until the new Gmail update broke the app. That's what really forced me back into figuring this thing out. It's funny how frustration is a motivator for some :)

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting find, I have both a 9780 and a MT4G. On the Bold the push works flawlessly. The MT is intermittent. Sometimes I get them immediately (compared to when I'm on the computer and the phone is sitting next to me) sometimes they come in minutes later. I don't see how enabling "notifications" under the FB settings for BB will affect the Android's. And the notifications box has always been checked on my MT. So....anyone else care to elaborate?

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Those who say it's coincidence are wrong. I just downloaded the BB 9650 simulator, installed and set facebook up on it, and my notifications now work properly on the Samsung Epic Facebook App version 1.6.3. They did NOT work before. My facebook account is brand new and never had the Blackberry app attached to it, and now it does.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
hmm, very interesting find.. I wonder if different manufacturer UI's effect this working.. I saw someone with a T-Bolt also say it didn't work but those with other UI's say it does.. could Sense UI's much deeper modifications and already built in Facebook integration be what messes that up?.. Anyways, I am running OMGB (AOSP) on my DInc so I'm gonna give this a try and see if it works for me..I've always gotten messages, friend request and sometimes events notifications but never wall post, likes and commented on notifications so this would be great if it works! :) Thanks OP!

Last edited:

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what all we end up getting but so far I've received wall posts and messages. I've only had this since shortly before I posted last though so I haven't actually had any of the other activities.

The BB app thing may defy logic, but it definitely is true, at least for some users.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
in everyone's Authorized Applications list on Facebook do you have anything about Facebook for Android? I have HTC Sense but nothing authorizing the Android Facebook App.. that to me is a big red flag and would explain why the BB one works and the Android one doesn't.. it never asks to be authorized to access your account on this level like BB does. Anyone prove me otherwise.. Sense UI authorization I believe was only to allow it to post to your wall and read your info but if I remember correctly never gave notifications.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Nothing about FB for Android on mine. That also told me the same thing, but it doesn't explain why Blackberry makes it work.

signde

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
maybe not coincidence, but it is definitely not a requirement to have used a BB to get notifications on android.

i do not have "Facebook for Android" in my apps list, but I do have "HTC Sense" and notifications are working for me.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
maybe not coincidence, but it is definitely not a requirement to have used a BB to get notifications on android.

i do not have "Facebook for Android" in my apps list, but I do have "HTC Sense" and notifications are working for me.

I'm thinking that "Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones" as it's called is actually a generic notifications app and could be titled "Notifications for Smartphones" if app developers wanted to call it that. I think what's happening is Facebook wasn't coded properly to install this same exact app with their own title, causing a lack of notifications.

Some phones, I think, have integration that doesn't require such application installation on the Facebook site, and those users are the ones who are saying it works fine without the app...because it does.

Is there MORE functionality with the BlackBerry app installed for Android? Maybe it sends out notifications that other integrated phones don't get. Maybe it doesn't. I don't know.