Facebook Push Notifications - SOLVED!!!

fett

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
tried it and it worked! But then it stopped... I re-signed in on a BB simulator, and it worked again. But then it stopped. Has this happened to anyone else at all?? If so how did you fix it??

ccw1134

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
tried it and it worked! But then it stopped... I re-signed in on a BB simulator, and it worked again. But then it stopped. Has this happened to anyone else at all?? If so how did you fix it??

It has worked for me the entire time. The one thing that I can say is that I used an actual BB. I don't know if or how that could have anything to do with it. I have also done one or two Facebook app updates and haven't lost the push notifications. Good luck some clues.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

I used the simulator and I have had notifications since.. maybe try clearing the facebook app data and re log in and see if that helps.. good luck.

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
It has worked for me the entire time. The one thing that I can say is that I used an actual BB. I don't know if or how that could have anything to do with it. I have also done one or two Facebook app updates and haven't lost the push notifications. Good luck some clues.

I used a simulator and mine have been perfect since the beginning of this thread. Across multiple devices and roms. So far so good.

Try uninstalling fb from the droid, go to desktop facebook privacy settings and then apps. In there find and delete the bb push and then set up on the bb again. Then install fb on the dinc. That may work for you.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

User One

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand..what do you all mean by "BB Simulator"? Please explain for the "dummies" like myself..lol

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand..what do you all mean by "BB Simulator"? Please explain for the "dummies" like myself..lol

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

it's the blackberry simulator. you run it on your computer and it emulates a blackberry device including all the apps that go with it, like the facebook for blackberry app. I posted a link for where to get it on one of the earlier pages of this thread.

EDIT:
here I'll post the link again. :) go HERE to download the BB Simulator. you'll need the Java Dev Kit (JDK) for it to run, you can get that from Java's website.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
ccw1134:

You are the man!

I recently logged into the Blackberry Facebook app on my brother's phone & have been getting push notifications on my Droid X ever since! They are so instant that I uninstalled FriendCaster Pro from my phone which I had previously set to poll every minute to achieve the same result as push notifications.

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
So after doing this day one, I have been getting my push notifications since. Until yesterday. They just stopped again. Went to the desktop facebook site and turned off notifications for bb for facebook and then back on and they came back. So strange.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
So after doing this day one, I have been getting my push notifications since. Until yesterday. They just stopped again. Went to the desktop facebook site and turned off notifications for bb for facebook and then back on and they came back. So strange.

I think it has to do with Facebook just changed their email notifications to a weekly summary vs instant email notifications and it probably rippled effected all notifications.. I think this because mine stopped as well but after months of them working. I just turned them off and on again so hopefully I'll have the same result as you and they'll come back.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
DON'T UPDATE THE FACEBOOK APP IF YOU WANT PUSH NOTIFICATIONS!!! Sorry, I totally know its bad etiquette to do all caps, but I figured this is important enough to warrant it. I just updated my facebook to 1.7.x and the push notifications stopped working, I was racking my brain trying to figure it out, I even fiddled with the blackberry emulator and fb program for a while, but couldn't figure it out. Luckily, i had a old version of facebook (1.6.4) on my titanium backup, so I restored that, logged back in, and instant push again! I think facebook is onto this whole thing and trying to crack down. I thought they would do this once they figured out android users can get push, after all isn't not like android can handle push, its that facebook doesn't want to give it to us android users.

Anyways, for those having trouble, try to find an older version of the android facebook app and give it a go, I tested it with the old one (push worked instantly), to the new one (nothing happened, I waited a few minutes), then back down to the old one (push worked instantly). Hope this helps.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought they would do this once they figured out android users can get push, after all isn't not like android can handle push, its that facebook doesn't want to give it to us android users.
Why would Facebook do this to Androiders?? :O

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that Facebook is deliberately trying to block this but it sure seems/feels like it.. guess I'll have to restore my titanium as well.. too bad I like the new version cause it's actually somewhat functional.

I'll see if I can attach the APK so others can revert if they'd like.

here we go Facebook for Android 1.6.4

Last edited:
Reactions: RUSH

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
DON'T UPDATE THE FACEBOOK APP IF YOU WANT PUSH NOTIFICATIONS!!! Sorry, I totally know its bad etiquette to do all caps, but I figured this is important enough to warrant it. I just updated my facebook to 1.7.x and the push notifications stopped working, I was racking my brain trying to figure it out, I even fiddled with the blackberry emulator and fb program for a while, but couldn't figure it out. Luckily, i had a old version of facebook (1.6.4) on my titanium backup, so I restored that, logged back in, and instant push again! I think facebook is onto this whole thing and trying to crack down. I thought they would do this once they figured out android users can get push, after all isn't not like android can handle push, its that facebook doesn't want to give it to us android users.

Anyways, for those having trouble, try to find an older version of the android facebook app and give it a go, I tested it with the old one (push worked instantly), to the new one (nothing happened, I waited a few minutes), then back down to the old one (push worked instantly). Hope this helps.

I am getting push notifications perfectly on 1.7. I upgraded from the market from 1.6.x (the last one before 1.7) and retained notifications without incident.

As I posted in another post, the same day that FB sent an email saying they were reducing the email notifications, my push stopped working entirely. I went to FB website > Account Settings > Notification Settings and unchecked the box at the top that turns off most of the email notifications. Then I went down to Other Applications and found the Facebook for BB and turned it off, saved and turned it back on and instant notifications again.

Then the next day, I upgraded to 1.7 and notifications still work just fine, so it is not 1.7 that is the problem. It all seems to be server side.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am getting push notifications perfectly on 1.7. I upgraded from the market from 1.6.x (the last one before 1.7) and retained notifications without incident.

As I posted in another post, the same day that FB sent an email saying they were reducing the email notifications, my push stopped working entirely. I went to FB website > Account Settings > Notification Settings and unchecked the box at the top that turns off most of the email notifications. Then I went down to Other Applications and found the Facebook for BB and turned it off, saved and turned it back on and instant notifications again.

Then the next day, I upgraded to 1.7 and notifications still work just fine, so it is not 1.7 that is the problem. It all seems to be server side.

Well, I decided to test everything again after you said that you were getting push notifications with the 1.7 update. The problem for me is, I haven't been getting push notifications for weeks, not just since the facebook email you mentioned. Here's the results of my new test:

1.6.4 sent message from my gf's facebook to myself (push worked instantly)

1.7 updated and sent message from my gh's facebook to myself (nothing happened, waited a few minutes)

1.6.4 downgraded again, sent another message (push worked instantly)

So I'm glad you have push working with the update, but I can't get it working. Only with the older versions of facebook can I get it working. So as far as the trouble being on the server side, that'd be a strange coincidence that the server always fails when I upgrade to 1.7 but works when I downgrade to 1.6 :) My opinion is the app is responsible.

And yes, I do think it's purposeful on facebook's part not to give android users push notifications, since both blackberry and iphone users have it. Why would that be? Why do we android users have to do this bb hack just to get the same push notifications other phones have without any hacks?

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
@wicket & @theboundless:

That hasn't been my experience. Push still works for me after upgrading.

Have you tried clearing the data & cache in the app? I always find that to clear up a lot of bugs that I have in any app.

jdawg1111

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I used a BB simulator and it worked perfectly... I am now getting Push Notifications on my ROOTED EVO 4G running Synergy ROM RLS1. I also am using Facebook for Android v. 1.7.1

Thanks for this Info

Last edited:

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
@wicket & @theboundless:

That hasn't been my experience. Push still works for me after upgrading.

Have you tried clearing the data & cache in the app? I always find that to clear up a lot of bugs that I have in any app.

yeah, I'm gonna have to sit down and try some stuff because even reverting back didn't work and making Facebook notify like it used to also hasn't worked.. I'll get it back either way.. even if I have to go punch Zucker..whatever his name is in the face!

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I'm gonna have to sit down and try some stuff because even reverting back didn't work and making Facebook notify like it used to also hasn't worked.. I'll get it back either way.. even if I have to go punch Zucker..whatever his name is in the face!

Yeah, we're doing all this hacky stuff because zuck won't give us what blackberry and iphone users already have :p

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
So I must be blind and or dumb, but I can't seem to get the stupid simulator to work. I got the 9630 Verizon version (actually only one it'd let me download) and the MDS/email simulator. I've got the JRE 7 (x86 and x64) and the JDK x64. I'm installing the JDK x86 version as well but if this doesn't work I'll just have to try that app.

I'm just dumb. :p Installed the 32-bit JDK and it worked. Got the simulator up and running, logged into Facebook from the BlackBerry Tour, went back to my Facebook and made sure that the Facebook for Blackberry was sending emails, then installed it on my LG Optimus V (running Harmonia 1.6, Froyo (2.2.1)), worked like a charm. Got message notifications and friend request notifications. Totally worth it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel