Warning about new ridiculous Facebook Permissions

Mattykinsx

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Just in case you guys don't check permissions when you update apps, or if you just have your apps set to automatically update, you should be made aware of Facebook app permission changes.

Any version AFTER 1.5.4 now has these permissions:

send SMS messages

Allows application to send SMS messages. Malicious applications may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.

receive SMS

Allows application to receive and process SMS messages. Malicious applications may monitor your messages or delete them without showing them to you.

read SMS or MMS

Allows application to read SMS messages stored on your device or SIM card. Malicious applications may read your confidential messages.

edit SMS or MMS

Allows application to write to SMS messages stored on your device or SIM card. Malicious applications may delete your messages.

Source click permissions tab.

For those interested I have provided the Facebook 1.5.4 apk which doesn't have these ridiculous permissions.

EDIT: Apparently the site won't let me upload the APK?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=679989&d=1312681512

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
How I miss my WebOS Facebook app! I did update and I have not had any issues yet! Then again I'm pretty careful about what I do on there.

Mattykinsx

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
How I miss my WebOS Facebook app! I did update and I have not had any issues yet! Then again I'm pretty careful about what I do on there.

I'm not sure what you mean about not having any issues....

The app has the ability to read, edit, delete, and even send SMS and MMS messages.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I guess you aren't aware that FB has an optional feature to send SMS notifications and status updates to your phone (configurable from your FB page). You can also send status updates and pics to FB via SMS/MMS too.

It's for those occasions you don't have data or wifi, but you have cell service.

Mattykinsx

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I guess you aren't aware that FB has an optional feature to send SMS notifications and status updates to your phone (configurable from your FB page). You can also send status updates and pics to FB via SMS/MMS too.

It's for those occasions you don't have data or wifi, but you have cell service.

Yeaaaaah and that has what to do with the app having those permissions?
Nothing, at all.

The SMS features you're talking about have existed for years...these permissions for the app have existed since the update from 1.5.4.

No relation.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeaaaaah and that has what to do with the app having those permissions?.
Oh I dunno.... maybe so the FB app can process those SMS messages without having to run their own background service to cut down on battery consumption an avoid any redunancy? That'd be the smartest way to do it.

But hey. If you want to wear your tinfoil hat and worry that an app from a recognizably reliable source is suddenly malicious... run with that.

Mattykinsx

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Oh I dunno.... maybe so the FB app can process those SMS messages without having to run their own background service to cut down on battery consumption an avoid any redunancy? That'd be the smartest way to do it.

But hey. If you want to wear your tinfoil hat and worry that an app from a recognizably reliable source is suddenly malicious... run with that.

Dude, the Facebook app doesn't even interact with those texts at all

You do NOT have to have the app installed to use SMS or mms functionality with the website.

THEY ARE IN NO WAY INTERRELATED

Moreover there is NO NEW FEATURE dealing with mms or sms with the app on the newest versions.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

Furthermore, Facebook is a reliable source? Yeah maybe for privacy scares and selling your data and photos. :rolleyes:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is a reason behind; or, mistake behind this.

However, facebook blows to begin with. So if you don't like it.. use the website. It's exactly the same.

And relax... it's just facebook.... what kind of privacy did you have before with it. None...

Mattykinsx

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is a reason behind; or, mistake behind this.

However, facebook blows to begin with. So if you don't like it.. use the website. It's exactly the same.

And relax... it's just facebook.... what kind of privacy did you have before with it. None...

Relax? An app sneaks in permissions to read edit delete and send text messages, an app that millions use and comes preinstalled on many phones and you say relax?

Ridiculous.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I too think you need to relax. You've done your due diligence and notified us (and several other forums as well from my quick google search regarding the permission). The effort and notification is appreciated, and now it's up to us to decide if we wish to continue using it.

IMO, it's
  • A mistake and some developer got overly ambitious about requesting permissions
  • Laying groundwork for future functionality: like for example (and I'm just making this up) being able to text your friends from the app or pull up a friend in the app and see your conversations with that friend. There are already several third party FB apps like this one that allow this, so won't be surprised if the official app supports it in the future, and it's not unheard of for apps to lay groundwork for this stuff before actually releasing it.
  • It's far more nefarious, and Facebook is sending all SMS info on our phones to their alien overlords whose army of killing machines will use that information against us as they sweep over the planet, bathing us in our blood while subjugating the human race.

Like I said, appreciate the heads-up about it.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
All I was saying is I did not have a problem with this. I mean the internet isn't private anyways. So putting your phone online is a choice you have. You could always go back to a Java based OS or just not use Facebook I guess...Didn't mean to piss anybody off.

Sorry!

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
All I was saying is I did not have a problem with this. I mean the internet isn't private anyways. So putting your phone online is a choice you have. You could always go back to a Java based OS or just not use Facebook I guess...Didn't mean to piss anybody off.

Sorry!

+1.

If it bothers anyone so much: go to the Market, go to the Facebook app; scroll down: email developer and ask why. Then let us know.

Mattykinsx

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
+1.

If it bothers anyone so much: go to the Market, go to the Facebook app; scroll down: email developer and ask why. Then let us know.

I did. Its a dead email address.

I posted on the "Facebook developer wall" the other day...no reply either.

Sad that people are blowing this off.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
when I checked mine, not all of my contacts from my phone there, I would guess it is just the people who have entered their number in facebook. Because I am FB friends with some people but dont have their contact info in my phone.

Mattykinsx

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
when I checked mine, not all of my contacts from my phone there, I would guess it is just the people who have entered their number in facebook. Because I am FB friends with some people but dont have their contact info in my phone.

I have NEVER entered my number into Facebook and they all were there.

Its much more likely that Facebook is still rolling out the feature and it hasn't "come to you" yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7