phone-only contacts

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have tried to find this via a few searches, but came up dry. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

I have many contacts in my Motorola Photon (2.3.4) that are not only synced with my Google account, but also have "phone-only contact unsynced" on them (visible when I go into the 'edit contact' mode). Because some of them seem to be messed up as far as name is concerned (businesses with first word of the business listed as first name, etc.), my contact list is all messed up. Plus, I have duplicate emails and phone numbers.

I can't seem to find a way to either get rid of all the "phone-only" stuff, or merge it into the whole account. I suppose I could go into each individual contact on the phone, and edit them, but with nearly 400 contacts, that would be horrible! Any advice?

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
At the risk of looking foolish, I think I have solved my problem. In case others have the same issue, here is what I did.

a) Go into "Contacts", press "menu/more/settings". In "Contact Storage", make sure you select your Gmail account, check "remember this choice", and OK.
b) Download "Delete All Contacts" from the Android Market.
c) Go into Airplane Mode, to be sure you don't accidentally delete your contacts from the Google server.
d) Launch "Delete All Contacts". It will truly delete every contact on your phone, both phone-only, Google, Facebook, and everything.
e) After it is complete, go back into your Contacts. It should be empty.
f) Leave Airplane Mode, and reconnect to the world.
g) Go into Contacts, and watch it repopulate. When it does, the contacts will be exactly what they are on Google's Contact list.

Success!!! :D

Last edited:

dukabazuka

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Try uninstalling dropbox. I just did that, and the phone only (unsynced) is gone. I uninstalled dropbox because on another forum I read that someone started having the same problem after installing dropbox. I could not remember when the problem started in my case, so I gave it a shot, and it worked.

Hearsawho

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Statdoc saved the day! :) (Especially since I had almost 2,800 contacts that had been inadvertently imported and re-imported from Outlook, etc.) The procedure to delete all contacts and then re-sync Google contacts worked flawlessly, and I was finally able to remove annoying phone-only un-synced contacts. One can only wonder why Android doesn't have a multiple contact delete feature? Thanks! Now if I can only understand why my Contacts Storage file is still a hefty 8.31 MB :confused:

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Try uninstalling dropbox. I just did that, and the phone only (unsynced) is gone. I uninstalled dropbox because on another forum I read that someone started having the same problem after installing dropbox. I could not remember when the problem started in my case, so I gave it a shot, and it worked.
I am happy it helped you!