I dunno if there is an application like this, but I think that it would be a good idea:

Example: Say that there is an earthquake.... now the cell towers are down, power is out... no useful phone use, no lans, ....chaos.

It would be neat if there was a way of quickly and easily sending an application from one smartphone to another (for installation) that would enable a wifi mesh that could set up some sort of instant messaging network, like twitter that would enable people to communicate.... once the mesh got big enough then some of the users may gain access to the internet to hop messages off of the mesh and onto the net....and visa versa....

could enable gps to transmit coordinates ( and to help define the mesh network, or find someone in need of assistance)

qu1nn
    08-30-2011 07:40 AM
    Nice idea, but currently there is no hardware for cellphones to communicate directly with one another other than bluetooth. Wifi would not work, as a phone cannot send wifi outward, only accept wifi from a source. Of course you are thinking: "My phone has a Wifi hotspot!" Well, that requires a data connection, so that wouldn't work.
    08-31-2011 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD