Facebook 1.7 Update

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you all noticed that, although 30 minutes is the most frequent update choice in the settings, the notifications seem to be acting as if they are real-time push notifications. I've noticed, and am pretty pleased....

I used Friendcaster religiously, but lately, I have been impressed with the official app....

Thanks,

Matt!

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
No, it's working for me. Tap on the photo when you enter a comment and it'll let you tag.

I only uploaded one pic, but the app had facial recognition! Tagged my friend, and it's pointing at his face on the website.
I'll try to see if it's possible to tag at a specific location manually.

Edit: just tried it and I can tag at a specific location in the picture. When I upload a pic, it says "tap to tag". Works great,

Can you add a screen cap of what you are suggesting? Because on my Evo3D there is most definitely not an option to tag someone by hitting tap to tag. I know this can be done with uploading via Facebook for HTC sense and maybe other manufacturer UI uploaders but the Android App only allows to add names of people that are in the photo.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It seems like after installing this Facebook update, my GPS is constantly on and pinging.

^-- same here.

Actually, I loaded the new FB app this morning and my GPS started pinging the instant I started it the first time. I exited from Facebook and the GPS still was going pingy-pingy. So I restarted my phone, and haven't had the problem since, even when I go to run Facebook.

I wonder if there's some sort of problem with upgrading a running Facebook instance where the new one sees some flag in the old one's memory or something?

In any case, a quick reboot fixed it up. Killing the task might have worked just as well - I'm too lazy to go navigating around to kill a task when a phone reboot is two button-presses and a screen tap away (plus there's nothing like that freshly-rebooted feeling)

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
^-- same here.

Actually, I loaded the new FB app this morning and my GPS started pinging the instant I started it the first time. I exited from Facebook and the GPS still was going pingy-pingy. So I restarted my phone, and haven't had the problem since, even when I go to run Facebook.

I wonder if there's some sort of problem with upgrading a running Facebook instance where the new one sees some flag in the old one's memory or something?

In any case, a quick reboot fixed it up. Killing the task might have worked just as well - I'm too lazy to go navigating around to kill a task when a phone reboot is two button-presses and a screen tap away (plus there's nothing like that freshly-rebooted feeling)

I was able to resolve my issue similarly by Force Stopping the Facebook app in the Application settings and then relaunching it.

I hadn't paid attention to it and it killed my battery yesterday, tho.

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
New issues for me with this update (Sammy Fascinate)
- My GPS is always Pinging on start-up
- I don't get the notifications within the app anymore (the red number at the bottom of the home area)
- I still don't get push notifications.

Basically, just a mess. Any thoughts on how to at least get the in app notices back? I've already uninstalled and re-installed.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I stopped using this app awhile ago. After the update I love it on both evo 3d and galaxy tab.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I love the 1.7 & 1.7.1 updates. I never tag photos though, so I can't speak to that working or not.

As far as people who aren't getting push notifications...have you ever tried this fix?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/109343-facebook-push-notifications-solved.html

It worked like a charm for me. All I did was log into the Facebook app on my brother's Blackberry & post a status update onto my wall. I have been getting INSTANT push notifications ever since. Apparently having permissions for "Facebook for Blackberry" on your account solves the problem (it did for me at least) because I NEVER got a single notice pushed to my Droid X before I tried the fix. I had previously relied on Gmail to notify me of Facebook comments & have since disabled all email notifications from Facebook.

The only issue that I had with both 1.7 & 1.7.1 was that initially, the pull down to refresh option didn't work but all I did was clear the app data & cache in the settings menu & once I logged back in everything has been flawless.

As far as the GPS pinging, I only had that the first time I logged in. Since then I haven't seen it once. But I do disable my location from my posts & never "check-in" anywhere so that may have something to do with it.

Big Z

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I love the 1.7 & 1.7.1 updates. I never tag photos though, so I can't speak to that working or not.

As far as people who aren't getting push notifications...have you ever tried this fix?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/109343-facebook-push-notifications-solved.html

It worked like a charm for me. All I did was log into the Facebook app on my brother's Blackberry & post a status update onto my wall. I have been getting INSTANT push notifications ever since. Apparently having permissions for "Facebook for Blackberry" on your account solves the problem (it did for me at least) because I NEVER got a single notice pushed to my Droid X before I tried the fix. I had previously relied on Gmail to notify me of Facebook comments & have since disabled all email notifications from Facebook.

The only issue that I had with both 1.7 & 1.7.1 was that initially, the pull down to refresh option didn't work but all I did was clear the app data & cache in the settings menu & once I logged back in everything has been flawless.

As far as the GPS pinging, I only had that the first time I logged in. Since then I haven't seen it once. But I do disable my location from my posts & never "check-in" anywhere so that may have something to do with it.

I haven't tried it because I don't have a friend near by w/ a blackberry, nor do I want to bother them with my phone issues. Why can't it just work... Like it's supposed to. The GPS usage is pointless, and consumes battery. I love using android, but it's times like this when I really wish I had a phone that just worked....and that I didn't have to "work" to get working. What a hassle.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are just noticing the limitation of FB notifications being sent to your Android device and / or Computer, this isn't the result of the FB for Android app recent update(s). Facebook has once again taken the initiative to limit the amount of notifications that are sent to its users. Luckily, this settings is preset as a default setting - which can be change back to your preference. To change the default settings from your desktop, laptop, or full version of facebook from your android phone...click or tap on settings - then notifications and simple follow instructions to change the default setting to your own preferences. You can either choose notifications by Email or Text Msgs via mobile.

As for the Facebook for Android recent update(s), it's obvious from reading all those bad reviews on the market, that many users are anything but please with this update(s). Personally, the two problems I'm having with this application is - first, the lack of not having the option to Copy & Paste. Developer(s) seriously, in these times - not being able to Copy & Paste is not acceptable. Second, since the recent update.. it's now annoying to like or comment on friends posts. Why? Lets say your in "news feed", usually you could just tap/click on the plus sign (+) across from someone's post - now the plus sign is exactly on the profile pic of your friend's post. And what makes it even worse, the plus sign doesn't work anymore. I would rather pay $$ for a good Facebook application - than to have to be disappointed with a free app that seems to get worse with each update(s).

I'm sure they (App Developer(s)) are aware of all those bad reviews left on their Facebook page & on the Android market. With a great platform like Android, one would have thought that we would've an awesome Facebook application.

Last edited:

non_sequitur

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

I disabled the locations from showing up in my posts, but that doesn't stop the Facebook app from pinging my GPS location to Facebook in android. I tried using the app Permission Denied to disable the Facebook app's access to the GPS location, but doing so makes the Facebook app force close immediately on start up.