09-25-2011 02:10 PM
31 12
tools
    I just wanted to direct others who still use Facebook to hit the Market for their latest update. This one seems to be a nice one with more than fluff. There are quite a few new "usable" features. Check it out. This is the vendor has to say:

Facebook for Android v1.7 is now available in Android Market. In this release, we made it easier to share with who you want by improving the sharing tool to add privacy controls on posts and match your settings on the web site. We also added a lot of cool new features like Pull to Refresh and the ability to tag friends in photos, places and posts. Finally, there's also a great new design for Profiles and Groups
    09-12-2011 08:45 PM
    when notifications gets pushed to my evo 3d like on the blackberries, or my sister n law lg optimus, then ill get excited. Until then, meh....
    09-12-2011 10:24 PM
    notifications got annoying to a point i turned it off
    09-12-2011 10:32 PM
    Well that's better than none.

Tapatalked in 3d
    09-13-2011 07:13 AM
    The update seems good...enough to have me wanting to come back and re-visit the app and see if its a keeper.
    09-13-2011 10:45 AM
    So they changed the way you tag someone in a post? I used to like to do in-line tagging ie: Bigfire8: thinks @john smith should stop whining about having to take out the garbage, where the person's name would show up and notify them they were tagged.

Why would I now have to type their name in the sentence, and then use the tag feature as a second step to do the same work?

Also seems to take away the ability to tag fan pages. Good example of this is when you want to say something about your favorite team's win/loss etc and would tag them in your post. Can't do that anymore. WTF?
    09-13-2011 12:12 PM
    Great update. Tagging in photos has been added.
    09-13-2011 12:28 PM
    Just also realized how poor the photo tagging feature is...just adds the name of the person, vs pointing to a spot in the photo. Dumb when you might have 15 people in a picture from a get together let's say. How would somebody put a name to a face they remember but just met??? Can't possibly add as a friend from that.
    09-13-2011 12:57 PM
    My notifications actually got worst after this update. lol
    09-13-2011 01:13 PM
    Great update. Tagging in photos has been added.
    I keep reading that but I can't tag photos at all.
    09-13-2011 04:09 PM
    I just started using friend caster and love it
    09-13-2011 05:05 PM
    I've updated to version 1.7 just seconds ago. cannot add new status nor post my location since then. the app crashes. i'm using it on galaxy s2 with android 2.3.3.
    09-13-2011 06:12 PM
    I have looked everywhere. Most says they can't tag photos. Some say they can. So can someone PLEASE say how to do the damn tagging?? Evo 3d. Thanks
    09-13-2011 07:37 PM
    I have looked everywhere. Most says they can't tag photos. Some say they can. So can someone PLEASE say how to do the damn tagging?? Evo 3d. Thanks
    I think the people that "can tag photos" are confused. When you upload a photo to a status you can tag friends in the status but that does NOT tag them in the actual photo. There is no current way to actually tag a photo that is in any album on your FB.
    09-13-2011 10:58 PM
    meantime there is a new version 1.7.1. But it doesn't solve the problem. the app still crashes. tried to re-install the app and restart the phone but it did not help. i'm using the german version
    09-14-2011 02:32 AM
    I think the people that "can tag photos" are confused. When you upload a photo to a status you can tag friends in the status but that does NOT tag them in the actual photo. There is no current way to actually tag a photo that is in any album on your FB.
    No, it's working for me. Tap on the photo when you enter a comment and it'll let you tag.

Just also realized how poor the photo tagging feature is...just adds the name of the person, vs pointing to a spot in the photo. Dumb when you might have 15 people in a picture from a get together let's say. How would somebody put a name to a face they remember but just met??? Can't possibly add as a friend from that.
    I only uploaded one pic, but the app had facial recognition! Tagged my friend, and it's pointing at his face on the website.
    I'll try to see if it's possible to tag at a specific location manually.

Edit: just tried it and I can tag at a specific location in the picture. When I upload a pic, it says "tap to tag". Works great,
    09-14-2011 09:25 AM
    Been using the update since yesterday and I haven't encountered any problems so far it crashed once when I was browsing an album, but it never happened again after I restarted the application.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    09-14-2011 09:35 AM
    No, it's working for me. Tap on the photo when you enter a comment and it'll let you tag.

I only uploaded one pic, but the app had facial recognition! Tagged my friend, and it's pointing at his face on the website.

Edit: just tried it and I can tag at a specific location in the picture. When I upload a pic, it says "tap to tag". Works great,
    Yeah I ended up finding it after updating to 1.7.1. What a horrible implementation of tagging photos. I hate to say it but they should of gone like the iPhone version and made it where you go to an album and choose a picture tap menu and there would be a tag option to then choose who to tag in the photo.

BUT at least they put it in finally so that's a positive!
    09-14-2011 10:39 AM
    I installed this on my tablet and it crashes evertime I try and open the friends tab.
    09-14-2011 10:55 AM
    It seems like after installing this Facebook update, my GPS is constantly on and pinging.
    09-14-2011 11:09 AM
    I installed this on my tablet and it crashes evertime I try and open the friends tab.
    That's been the case since way back when, they pulled the app for tablet.
    With the recent reintroduction I though they would have fixed that but guess not.
    09-14-2011 11:21 AM
    Have you all noticed that, although 30 minutes is the most frequent update choice in the settings, the notifications seem to be acting as if they are real-time push notifications. I've noticed, and am pretty pleased....

I used Friendcaster religiously, but lately, I have been impressed with the official app....

Thanks,

Matt!
    09-14-2011 01:49 PM

Can you add a screen cap of what you are suggesting? Because on my Evo3D there is most definitely not an option to tag someone by hitting tap to tag. I know this can be done with uploading via Facebook for HTC sense and maybe other manufacturer UI uploaders but the Android App only allows to add names of people that are in the photo.
    09-14-2011 01:54 PM
    It seems like after installing this Facebook update, my GPS is constantly on and pinging.
    ^-- same here.

Actually, I loaded the new FB app this morning and my GPS started pinging the instant I started it the first time. I exited from Facebook and the GPS still was going pingy-pingy. So I restarted my phone, and haven't had the problem since, even when I go to run Facebook.

I wonder if there's some sort of problem with upgrading a running Facebook instance where the new one sees some flag in the old one's memory or something?

In any case, a quick reboot fixed it up. Killing the task might have worked just as well - I'm too lazy to go navigating around to kill a task when a phone reboot is two button-presses and a screen tap away (plus there's nothing like that freshly-rebooted feeling)
    09-14-2011 03:56 PM
    ^-- same here.

Actually, I loaded the new FB app this morning and my GPS started pinging the instant I started it the first time. I exited from Facebook and the GPS still was going pingy-pingy. So I restarted my phone, and haven't had the problem since, even when I go to run Facebook.

I wonder if there's some sort of problem with upgrading a running Facebook instance where the new one sees some flag in the old one's memory or something?

In any case, a quick reboot fixed it up. Killing the task might have worked just as well - I'm too lazy to go navigating around to kill a task when a phone reboot is two button-presses and a screen tap away (plus there's nothing like that freshly-rebooted feeling)
    I was able to resolve my issue similarly by Force Stopping the Facebook app in the Application settings and then relaunching it.

I hadn't paid attention to it and it killed my battery yesterday, tho.
    09-15-2011 11:11 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD