Need help finding a weather app

scaryhumor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I can not find anything that will do all I'm looking for. I need the following features, listed by most important first.

Audible always-on weather alerts. Must be able to use custom notification tones. This IS a deal breaker. I live in a tornado prone area. Every weather app I liked would only use the stock (EVO 3D) notification tones, which are too short & subtle. Don't know if this is possible, but needs to override silent mode on the phone.

Types of alerts. Severe watches & warnings, for tornadoes, thunderstorms, snow/ice/sleet.

Zoomable animated radar, to street level would be great, with satellite overview. Weather watches/warnings overlaid. Opacity adjustment, and animation controls (frames displayed, adjustible length of loops) would also be great.

Lightning tracker would be great, but not a deal breaker.

Hurricane tracking info (got a college student in Miami).

Typical forecast features, but from multiple sources (my choice).

Widgets widgets widgets. Love widgets.

Thank you in advance.

Very willing to pay for an app that will do all I need.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You can add notification tones by making a folder on your SD drive called "notifications" and putting any MP3s you want in there. They'll show up in the notification lists as whatever is in the ID3 tag of the MP3. I don't know if it can override an actual silent mode on the phone or not, but you can at least get some loud notifications on every Android phone I've ever tried it on (disclaimer, that would be a total of three, but from three different manufacturers).

As far as an actual app, the best I've seen for free is WeatherBug, but it probabaly doesn't come close to your specific requirements. I haven't played with a lot of weather apps, I just figured I'd put the hint about notifications up there, just in case it helps one of the apps you have tried to meet your needs better.

Reactions: scaryhumor

scaryhumor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You can add notification tones by making a folder on your SD drive called "notifications" and putting any MP3s you want in there. They'll show up in the notification lists as whatever is in the ID3 tag of the MP3.

Brilliant! Thank you.

Still looking for an app though.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
BeWeather does some of that. One of the nice things you can do with it is add media, such as additional weather maps, webcams, and so on. If there is a linkable hurricane map, you should be able to add it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22