I'm sure a lot of you are like me and moving over from a Blackberry of some sort. On Blackberry I had an astonding Podcast manager called PodTrapper. I have been looking for a good replacement for that program after the lackluster response to my, "I bought an android are you planning on porting it over?", question I posed on the developer. He said he was working on it but it would be awhile. Well I don't have time to wait I need a solution ASAP!

So I did the same thing everyone with an android device does and hit up the market, trying everything from Google Listen to DoggCatcher and everything in between. So now I'll list my finds on the some of the ones I tried and what made me decide it wasn't good enough.

First my requirements:
    -Support Video podcasts.
    -Ddownloading capabilities
    -Save podcast position on exit and resume.
    -File upload to directory and full options to that file, note above requirements.

Google Listen:
    Clean interface, typical google styling clean and conservative, gets the job done. Doesn't support video podcasts or directory uploading and play. I ditched it after the no Video thing was considered.

PodKast:
    Interface looks like a kindergarten with crayon skills designed the interface. A bit on the clunky side, and can be harder to figure out for the unknowing. Does have support for searching for podcasts and downloading them to the phone. As well as all the other typical podcast options. One it's missing however is file upload from computer, and position saving. Bummer....

MyPOD:
    Basic of the basic, no position saving ditched after that. The interface in attractive however maybe in the future it will be an update app I'll check out again. Don't remember off hand if it supported position saving but I believe it doesn't.

Hapi Podcast:
    Clunky, no position saving, dumped.

I think you see how this is going, in the fee arena none of them I found supported both position saving and video podcasts, or they where really ugly. In these things I normally shot for function over form but when it looks like it was put together in Microsoft paint I can't handle it. Out of the free ones, the one I liked the best was either Google Talk for simplicity or PodKast because of the option to save or stream and the searching.

But I'm still left wanting what I had on the BB with PodTrapper. Then I found Doggcatcher. It support position saving on exit and resume, video and audio podcasts, downloading, streaming, searching and something I didn't think it would have is podcast "suggestions" based on what you currently have. It has options to setup downloading over WiFi or cellular and even download only when charging etc. All the update intervals options as well as how many of each podcast to download. It also has menu bar download notifications which is really nice and in app audio and video players. You can also configure it to play through the android or HTC players.

It also saves to the SD card instead of internal memory on the Incredible!! The only option it doesn't have is being able to upload a file to a directory on the SD card and add it to the podcast list. Something I hope I end up finding in it, or they add to it.

All in all, if needing a really good solution to podcast get it over with and buy one of the paid solutions, I suggest Doggcatcher. $6.99 in the android market.
    05-12-2010 01:57 AM
    There was a survey and post on the main site page about this about a month agree. There I discovered doggcatcher and I agree it is the best. Ultimately I think most voted Listen because it was free. But I liked the latter FWIW.
    05-12-2010 02:58 AM
    I'm sure a lot of you are like me and moving over from a Blackberry of some sort. On Blackberry I had an astonding Podcast manager called PodTrapper. I have been looking for a good replacement for that program after the lackluster response to my, "I bought an android are you planning on porting it over?", question I posed on the developer. He said he was working on it but it would be awhile. Well I don't have time to wait I need a solution ASAP!

So I did the same thing everyone with an android device does and hit up the market, trying everything from Google Listen to DoggCatcher and everything in between. So now I'll list my finds on the some of the ones I tried and what made me decide it wasn't good enough.

First my requirements:
    -Support Video podcasts.
    -Ddownloading capabilities
    -Save podcast position on exit and resume.
    -File upload to directory and full options to that file, note above requirements.

Google Listen:
    Clean interface, typical google styling clean and conservative, gets the job done. Doesn't support video podcasts or directory uploading and play. I ditched it after the no Video thing was considered.

PodKast:
    Interface looks like a kindergarten with crayon skills designed the interface. A bit on the clunky side, and can be harder to figure out for the unknowing. Does have support for searching for podcasts and downloading them to the phone. As well as all the other typical podcast options. One it's missing however is file upload from computer, and position saving. Bummer....

MyPOD:
    Basic of the basic, no position saving ditched after that. The interface in attractive however maybe in the future it will be an update app I'll check out again. Don't remember off hand if it supported position saving but I believe it doesn't.

Hapi Podcast:
    Clunky, no position saving, dumped.

I think you see how this is going, in the fee arena none of them I found supported both position saving and video podcasts, or they where really ugly. In these things I normally shot for function over form but when it looks like it was put together in Microsoft paint I can't handle it. Out of the free ones, the one I liked the best was either Google Talk for simplicity or PodKast because of the option to save or stream and the searching.

But I'm still left wanting what I had on the BB with PodTrapper. Then I found Doggcatcher. It support position saving on exit and resume, video and audio podcasts, downloading, streaming, searching and something I didn't think it would have is podcast "suggestions" based on what you currently have. It has options to setup downloading over WiFi or cellular and even download only when charging etc. All the update intervals options as well as how many of each podcast to download. It also has menu bar download notifications which is really nice and in app audio and video players. You can also configure it to play through the android or HTC players.

It also saves to the SD card instead of internal memory on the Incredible!! The only option it doesn't have is being able to upload a file to a directory on the SD card and add it to the podcast list. Something I hope I end up finding in it, or they add to it.

All in all, if needing a really good solution to podcast get it over with and buy one of the paid solutions, I suggest Doggcatcher. $6.99 in the android market.
    PodTrapper is out now in the market for $7.99 but I'm sure you are happy with DG...a lot of people are. I'm torn between which one to get because I had the Crackberry version of PodTrapper on my Tour and liked it.
    10-08-2010 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD