10-12-2010 02:05 PM
231 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I grabbed the update, looks good.

I do just want to mention that I think it is really awesome that you are adding in the advice that you are getting from the forums. Just a couple of days ago this was just a coulple of people on the app. When I signed up the closest person to me was 7 hours away. Now there are thousands within 500 miles. I dont know what your expectations were for your app, but this thing has exploded, Congrats on the success.
    Thank you for the kind words I do try and do my best to take into account any good advice I get from these forums and it's been helping me a lot with the ideas. Development is in rapid progress and with each day there's a bug fixed and an idea added to a to-do list and one crossed off
    05-20-2010 04:22 PM
    Thank you for the kind words I do try and do my best to take into account any good advice I get from these forums and it's been helping me a lot with the ideas. Development is in rapid progress and with each day there's a bug fixed and an idea added to a to-do list and one crossed off
    Just so you know, I'm gonna finally rate/review the app in the Market once I leave work (reception is crappy in my office). I'm giving you a full five stars. In all reality, if I was just simply rating the app itself, I would have given 3 at first due to the original force closes and other tiny bugs. And at this point, it would have been bumped to 4. But your attention to detail and willingness to accept any and all criticism/comments has earned you the full five stars in my book.

Oh, and I'll also throw in a lil comment towards those who are ranking it poorly just because they don't realize that sometimes you need to re-login to an app after it's been updated.
    05-20-2010 04:39 PM
    @ock:
    Thank you so much. You've helped a great deal at finalizing the decision on how to implement the "check-in" option and it's destined for the next bigger update.
    The reason I listen on these forums is because I think that the best ideas come from users giving the app a chance and hoping to see it improve. Which is exactly what I want as well. (now it's off to bed for me )
    88 FLUX likes this.
    05-20-2010 05:00 PM
    very cool app about to tell all my friends with android to install it
    BeerBelly likes this.
    05-20-2010 06:27 PM
    Got the latest update installed and it's looking good. A few small things I've noticed:

If the GPS is turned off then your last location doesn't show up on the map nor does the location of any of the people on the map. I could see the app using your last location and showing ppl around you. If the GPS is turned off a popup notification letting the user know it's turned off maybe helpful also.

Once I turned my GPS on I noticed that my location updated, but when I was zoomed out it appeared my location was flickering from my current location to my last location about 10 miles away. After I zoomed in though the issue seemed to go away.

Under notifications:
    Why is the delete message and deny friend under the same entry? I may want to delete a msg, but not deny a friend.

I deleted a msg, but the message didn't disappear until I switched off the screen and to another.

When I selected your message and selected show friend it showed an icon, but it was the same color as my icon. The sorta teal color, instead of the green, yellow or gray for a normal user.

I sent a test reply and the text box has the text vertically aligned in the middle instead of the top.

Also, I sent you a friend request. We are in separate parts of the globe though. The username is mprindle.
    05-20-2010 07:08 PM
    No Android phone yet but will be one of the first apps I download. This has the potential to be a premier social/location based app period.
    05-20-2010 07:48 PM
    Got the latest update installed and it's looking good. A few small things I've noticed:

If the GPS is turned off then your last location doesn't show up on the map nor does the location of any of the people on the map. I could see the app using your last location and showing ppl around you. If the GPS is turned off a popup notification letting the user know it's turned off maybe helpful also.

Once I turned my GPS on I noticed that my location updated, but when I was zoomed out it appeared my location was flickering from my current location to my last location about 10 miles away. After I zoomed in though the issue seemed to go away.

Under notifications:
    Why is the delete message and deny friend under the same entry? I may want to delete a msg, but not deny a friend.

I deleted a msg, but the message didn't disappear until I switched off the screen and to another.

When I selected your message and selected show friend it showed an icon, but it was the same color as my icon. The sorta teal color, instead of the green, yellow or gray for a normal user.

I sent a test reply and the text box has the text vertically aligned in the middle instead of the top.

Also, I sent you a friend request. We are in separate parts of the globe though. The username is mprindle.
    Hey, valid points.
    The GPS issue does seem a bit sporadic...Strange thing is that if I choose network based location, I never seem to have this problems. I think the problem with GPS is like you said using last location and maybe dropping a signal now and then. Was that the case for you?

About deleting msg/deny friend:
    It's one or the other depending on the type of message. If it's a friend request you will deny it. If it's a message you will delete it but not deny a friend. I probably should make it more clear (text space was kinda limited...)

Showing a friend does take the same icon as yourself. That was kinda planned...but maybe you're right in making it a normal green icon so not to confuse people...

And I added you
    05-21-2010 01:20 AM
    I've been giving this app a good work-out over the last few days.

So far, it's held up pretty good. Prior to yesterday's update(s), there were a lot of force closes, but it looks like almost all of them were fixed with the update(s).

There are a decent number of registered users, but only a few who are active - and most of them seem to be folks who have just installed for the first time. So the community is still in the infant stages.

That said, I've done my best to search for active users all over the place and strike up conversations. The app appears to hold up pretty well with me constantly searching and responding to messages, etc. In addition to helping to keep users active and giving the app a good pounding, it's kinda fun, to be honest. There are a few bugs here and there and with just a few enhancements, this app should really take off (I've made notes of both bugs and potential enhancements in the app's forum).
    05-21-2010 09:10 AM
    Aye, yesterday's updates should have fixed quite a few bugs.

It's true that not a lot of users check in regularly, but most of them check in once a day or two. So I'm trying my best to keep those users interested.
    There is probably a new website coming tomorrow (well a new design).

With the app, the next things I'll concentrate on are the "check in" system, the avatars and most likely the push messaging. (those are the major updates....minor ones will be included as well that will improve usability).

@theoverdrive:
    your input is very valuable and I note down anything you say My list of things to improve is now longer than the code combined
    05-21-2010 01:15 PM
    The moving the map thing is really annoying.
    Mine wants to zoom back to my location periodically. Makes it hard to look around in other locations.
    Shouldn't there be a mode to have the Radius circle selected be centered on the displayed map rather than on the user.
    If I want to know who's at the Phillies game, even when I'm in Chicago, its pretty hard.

I've noticed an over abundance of 20-something Males among the users. I wonder how many women want to advertise their position to total strangers and also the fact they are carrying an expensive phone.
    05-21-2010 01:26 PM
    Valid point. The next update will enable you to have a "check in" option.
    Meaning you will only get located on the map at the first registration, afterwards you can only check in if you want to (if not it shows you at the prior location). This will be an option of course.
    05-21-2010 04:43 PM
    The moving the map thing is really annoying.
    Mine wants to zoom back to my location periodically. Makes it hard to look around in other locations.
    Shouldn't there be a mode to have the Radius circle selected be centered on the displayed map rather than on the user.
    If I want to know who's at the Phillies game, even when I'm in Chicago, its pretty hard.

I've noticed an over abundance of 20-something Males among the users. I wonder how many women want to advertise their position to total strangers and also the fact they are carrying an expensive phone.
    Yea I noticed this also. When I was looking around the area it kept recentering the map at my current location.
    05-21-2010 06:30 PM
    It should recenter only when you change radius and with search.
    Did it happen at other times as well?
    05-22-2010 02:40 AM
    It happens whenever I try to scroll to another part of the map (somewhere far from my location). It doesn't always happen, but definitely enough to be very annoying.

I also received a lot of complaints about the messaging system... too much clicking to see a new message, no sent history, etc. I've had a few people suggest leaving and using another messaging app, since they were getting annoyed with the interface. It doesn't bother me that much, personally... but would hate to see people leaving because of it...
    05-22-2010 10:32 AM
    So would I.

The messaging is getting quite a remake. Push messaging is coming and along it, the notifications will move from the profile tab and into their own screen.
    Threaded message display is also in the works. Sent history as well

All the stuff a good messaging app needs...it just takes a bit of time
    05-22-2010 10:47 AM
    It's too late for this app, it in the future you may want to change your version structure numbering to show version numbers below 1.0 until the app is ready for a full release.

As a side note the speech to text thing on my new phone is really cool.
    05-22-2010 12:30 PM
    Looks like the app is down and so is the web site. Maybe there's a big update coming...
    05-22-2010 12:42 PM
    The website is already back up. The internet provider I host with had a "misfortune". I'm moving the app to my own server (getting one), so this won't happen again. I apologize for it.

There is a new website coming and so is the redesign of the app itself. I hope you're not right Kage about the app being published too long for some changes. I'm gonna do them anyway
    05-22-2010 12:50 PM
    Check your PM's bro.
    05-22-2010 01:04 PM
    Neat app! It's great to see you proactive in getting feature requests and using the community for bug reporting. Keep up the good work!
    05-22-2010 02:35 PM
    Thanks, I intend to
    05-22-2010 04:46 PM
    First of all thank you for developing this brilliant app and being as responsive as you have been, this looks to be the start of something huge. I installed the app and have been using it and I see lots of potential in it.

You've been very cool about accepting advice/critiques and very responsive to bugs, etc., so I figured I'd make a couple of suggestions of my own for your consideration

A standalone buddy list (like AIM, Yahoo! and MSN) with features unique to Android, and functions that could be integrated with other apps in a way that the other IM services aren't. For example, maybe you can have the IM portion run separately until you summon the location portion of the app (with the search button perhaps?). Or maybe just provide us with the option to configure the app to run it either way, the way its set up now or as a standalone IM client (I think having the flexibility to do both will make this app definitely stand out).

The ability to send files (vids, ringtones, etc.) to someone.

Also, maybe there can be more privacy controls. The option of sharing your location with people on your list, people in your town, region, etc., or going invisible would be welcomed additions, and I say this because there are a great number of people who would enjoy an app but who are concerned about their privacy/security as someone previously posted.

Buddy list options so that you can send messages to specific groups of people (friends, family, coworkers, etc.), that would work great with the invites feature imho

Also, a widget would be pretty hot!

It's been mentioned before, this can be Androids response to bbm, I for one think it has the potential to be far greater!

those are just some ideas I had, hope they help!
    05-22-2010 07:22 PM
    I predict that by this time next year this will he the must have app for anyone with an android. Within a couple years (unless something unforeseen with fb, Android, or this app) it will have over a million users.

Which is all fantastic, but as major area's get overcrowded then need for a 2500mile radius will he useless, and as mentioned before having a way to view only friends, or friends in a different color with grow in importance.

No matter how bog this app gets, don't forget about the everyday users. I know you can't listen to everyone, or make everyone happy. Right now though since you have been putting so much time responding to the users in forum, I have been telling everyone possible to download this app. I hope you will still be as open minded in the future as you have been so far. Once again good luck having the project grow.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    05-22-2010 10:42 PM
    Thank you for the encouragement guys

I think that this forum has helped (and will help) the application to grow immensely. The feedback and the suggestions I received here were both top notch...and so were the criticisms. I just hope the feedback doesn't stop

About the suggestions:

Privacy control is coming in the next patch. At first you will have the option in the settings whether to update your location automatically or manually. If manual update is chosen, you will be able to "check-in" with a special button.
    At the registration you will receive a warning dialog that upon registration your location will be noted but afterwards you are able to update your location only if you wish to.
    I hope privacy concerns will be addressed with this.

About IM being a seperate part of the app. I think that your suggestion about having control over the way application behaves is good. Either loading the map or the messaging screen. Although how would you be able to pick someone to send a msg to? Would you be only able to message your friends? Or would you get a list of people in the chosen radius (a text list).

Sending files is also in the works. I think that when I change the send picture method to one where you can choose a picture from the SD card, not just shoot a pic, that then I will also include the ability to attach files to messages.

What kind of widget did you have in mind? What data would be displayed?

@nvr2nd:
    I hope you're right About the bigger radiuses being useless at that point, I do agree. I will need to do something about that (maybe being able to search for people at a specific location -- with the usual radius applied).
    Displaying friends is also in the works. It will most likely be an option in the search screen.

Btw, the new website is up.
    05-23-2010 04:56 AM
    Website looks great man.
    05-23-2010 10:44 AM
231 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD