10-12-2010 02:05 PM
231 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Yup the site looks great!

Thanks for the manual GPS checkin, I'm looking forward to that in the next version.

As the number of users grow you may want to put a defined timeout, either user or system, to remove inactive users from the map. Right now it's not big of an issue, but if the app continues to grow you could have a lot of gray ppl on the map that haven't used it in ages causing clutter.
    05-24-2010 01:44 PM
    Yep, I already intend to sort users by time of login as well. Manual check in is most likely coming tomorrow. Need to iron out some bug first
    05-24-2010 01:58 PM
    I sent you a little donation through the web site. Keep up the good work.
    05-24-2010 02:49 PM
    Thank you Like I said...update coming tomorrow. And hopefully I can get the push messaging update out for the weekend.
    05-24-2010 03:28 PM
    Update published on the market:

Changelog:
    - added the option to manually update your location (Menu -> Settings -> check "manual location updates"). There is a button next to the radius spinner that does that without saving it in the system...so you can start the app, have automatic locations enabled and if you press that button it'll stop updating and the button switches to a compass view...press that again and it starts updating again.

- avatars added. Upload your avatar on the website through your profile. You will be able to update the profile within the app soon.

- if you click on a profile picture it shows it in bigger view.

- new app icon

- fixed some bugs

Next update plans to have push messaging and a rework of the notification system and view.
    05-25-2010 03:56 AM
    Sorry for my delay in responding!

What I meant was exactly as you said, displaying just the contact list so that you would only be able to message your friends and if you wanted to message someone new you would have the option (via the search key or whatever option you think would be best) to open up the map and search for new friends. Or a combination of both or any number of configurations you could think of, that would be pretty cool. I now this app is going to be huge and the amount of users will get ridiculous to the point where people will have a huge contact list and at that point will probably only want to just send messages to people on their list. Maybe the widget can display your contact list, messages, notifications, and/or invites. Maybe there could be other options for searching for people, keywords, hobbies, interests, location, etc.

People love Android for a lot of reasons but I think one of the principal ones is because we can personalize it far easier (and in much cooler ways I might add) compared to other platforms, and I think if that if you gave us the ability to personalize some things within this app it would be a huge incentive for people looking to move to this app from other messaging services.

As far as privacy controls go, too much is never enough for some people. There is a lot of concern over privacy now a days. So the more up front you are about what the app does and what kind of information is displayed it will be better in the long run. And the more options we have as users as to what kind of information we display is key. I can't emphasize this enough because all it takes is one a**hole to ruin the experience for all of us, so if you can cover your a** as much as possible in these early stages you're gonna be alright! This is more about advice than me asking for something. I really love this app, and the enormous potential it has and I would love to see it continue to grow as it has smoothly and without a hitch!

Since I downloaded the app and signed up the amount of people who have joined has doubled, thats amazing! I think a huge part of that is because of how cool you've been. Keep up the amazing work!
    BeerBelly likes this.
    05-25-2010 01:09 PM
    Hey again,

a contact list is coming in the next update that will feature a rework of the notification system (inbox, sent, contact list) and hopefully introduce push messaging as well.

A contact list will consist of all your friends and all the people you messaged or received messages from. A widget is planned somewhat further along, until we see how the new system holds up.

Today's update included privacy controls as well. You can now update your location only when you choose to. Hopefully that will address some concerns people had with privacy.

Quite a lot of work still ahead of me, but I look forward to it it's nice to see people satisfied with your work.

Btw, I now have a FB page up as well. Android Town | Facebook
    05-25-2010 02:11 PM
    Just upgraded to the newest version... constantly FCs. Can't even run the app. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted... the works. No dice
    05-25-2010 04:57 PM
    Ok, Ive looked , and cant figure out what the new icons mean, or what is what on my screen.

From Left to Right I have a circle with an X in the middle and next to that I have a circle with a line horizontal through the middle of it. What do these mean?
    05-25-2010 09:39 PM
    @chaos: Is it a force close or a dialog to force close or wait? Any chance I can get you to post me a log? You can do that by downloading an app called Log Collector from the market. Then run Android Town until the Force Close. After that run Log Collector and send the log to bostjan.brumen@gmail.com

@nvr2nd:
    first button on the left side is for clearing search results. Meaning that if you enter some search criteria and want to revert back to the original view press that button.
    Second button (it's a compass graphic), works as a check in button.
    If you have manual location updates enabled, then the button will show a compass graphic and when you press the button it will update your location...not sooner. It will then turn into a stop (circle with a horizontal line through it) button which will stop updates.

In your case you have the stop button show up on startup since you have automatic location updates enabled. If you press the stop button it will stop updating for that session only.
    05-26-2010 12:19 AM
    @chaos: Is it a force close or a dialog to force close or wait? Any chance I can get you to post me a log? You can do that by downloading an app called Log Collector from the market. Then run Android Town until the Force Close. After that run Log Collector and send the log to bostjan.brumen@gmail.com
    I was getting a dialog to FC or Wait. However... oddly enough, I opened it up this morning... and it works

If I have any other issues, I'll be sure to shoot those logs to ya
    05-26-2010 09:27 AM
    I installed the latest update when it came out, but haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. I'll be sure to check it out later today.
    05-26-2010 09:33 AM
    I was just wondering. Does anyone of you have any preference how to handle the new messaging system?
    At the moment I'm thinking about adding an option to the menu which would open up a tabbed view with "Inbox", "Sent" and "Contact list" tabs. What do you think?
    05-27-2010 01:31 AM
    I was just wondering. Does anyone of you have any preference how to handle the new messaging system?
    At the moment I'm thinking about adding an option to the menu which would open up a tabbed view with "Inbox", "Sent" and "Contact list" tabs. What do you think?
    I think that's a good start. A message preview at the Inbox would be nice and even moreso, a way to respond to the message directly from the message screen (or even the Inbox) - being able to see the message as you type your response would be great! Another nice feature might be sorting messages by contact (or any type of sorting).

BTW, the snapping back to my location after search is becoming increasingly irritating. I really hope a fix for that is coming soon...
    05-27-2010 08:55 AM
    Hey,

I think a message preview would be really nice...something along a few words from the start written under the name of the sender. Responding directly could be handled by a long press on the message...and viewing the message while responding is needed as well.
    Nice ideas.

Oh...and the snap back is getting fixed in the upcoming patch as well.
    05-27-2010 10:49 AM
    Cool - I have a lot of folks within 50 miles. And a couple within 5-10 miles. Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do with this yet, but still cool. I'm surprised how many I saw in the Greenville, SC, area. But what are some of the practical applications for it???

Some suggestions:

In the profile, add a field for phone type. Maybe even a Recommended App field (other than this one, of course)

Down the road, perhaps it could display the user's latest FB and/or Twitter status

Also, I Emailed you about making the metric/US measure apply to the Search options as well as the main page.
    05-27-2010 09:55 PM
    Hey,

social network integration is coming. Next update is gonna have a major change in messaging though. Push messaging as well.

And I got your email. The system is already taking into account unit change...it just doesn't change label...a bug :P
    05-28-2010 07:54 AM
    Just a little preview of the new messages and settings section.

05-29-2010 04:35 AM
    ...the site was down again...that's twice in a week. Switching providers first thing next week. Sorry guys.
    05-29-2010 07:22 AM
    I'll be giving this app a try to see who I can find. Cool idea!
    05-29-2010 04:02 PM
    I can't wait to try this out...
    05-29-2010 04:18 PM
    Just a little preview of the new messages and settings section.
    Messages preview looks like a good start... a huge improvement.
    05-29-2010 05:51 PM
    I'm glad you like it. Need to implement the push service still and then it'll be ready to publish. Probably in the next few days.

You will also be able to edit your profile within the app.
    05-30-2010 10:01 AM
    it is really slow!
    05-31-2010 01:43 PM
    I'm trying to cut down on messages posted to the server and received back...but at the moment it's hard to do so. Is there any particular section which you feel is really sluggish? What kind of a connection are you on?
    05-31-2010 02:29 PM
231 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD