Android Town - social community application

BeerBelly

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok, Android Town is now an obsolete name and application on the market. It was renamed to Peeples. Peeples is a seperate app on the market so you would need to download that one. It uses the same DB as Android Town so all your information is saved.

Peeples is a social community application which is location based. It enables users to see other users of the application on the map and strike up a conversation with them. Privacy options are also available.
So far the application has over 11k users.

Peeples has the added options of:
- uploading profile pictures and avatar through the application
- sending files from SD card with messages as attachments (5Mb limit for now)

Try it out and let me know what you think.

peeples_qr_small.png

Last edited:

BeerBelly

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Users are joining quite steadily so far. Around 180 across the globe right now.

And thank you all for helping. If you have any ideas, pleast let me know. I want to improve on this.

Some ideas so far include:
- integrating with other social networks (FB,Twitter); this way other users can see your public information without needing to fill out the profile yourself (maybe even include post to FB integration)
- adding a friend straight from the notifications screen
- including a public chat channel (at some point it'll have to be divided into regions)
- searching for people based on filters (age, sex, interests at some point)
- sending an invite (drink, date,...) to people near you. Of course people need to have the option enabled

What do you think?

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Im signing up, and will be adding all future customers/ friends. So should have a good network in Des Moines area.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Looks like a great start and I would definitely be interested in using it in the future. But within three minutes, I had two forced closes, 100% failure at finding my location, and took about six clicks before settings even opened. I will keep it installed so that App Market will notify me of updates. But I'll wait for some bug fixes before I use it again.

Good job so far though. The concept is great.

BeerBelly

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for trying it out ock. Can you tell me a bit more when the force closes happened and what phone are you using and if it's rooted or not?

Oh...and if there's any chance of a log when it crashed that would be a life saver. Since I can't get it to force close on my stock Desire.

Last edited:

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Looks like a great start and I would definitely be interested in using it in the future. But within three minutes, I had two forced closes, 100% failure at finding my location, and took about six clicks before settings even opened. I will keep it installed so that App Market will notify me of updates. But I'll wait for some bug fixes before I use it again.

Wow, I didnt have any of those issues. Seems like it could be a more enjoyable app as more people start to down load it. Right now I have to go out 500km to find someone else that has it.

I did send out notices to 5 friends of mine that have android phones. If they relay the info to more of their friends it could really take off. So I hope that it works.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

yeah, fo some reason it is showing my location as my home, but im at work, and installed it at work, so how does it even know where i live and why is it saying im there? im scared. haha.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for trying it out ock. Can you tell me a bit more when the force closes happened and what phone are you using and if it's rooted or not?

First force close was when I used the my location function. After about 30 seconds or so of waiting, it just hung up and had to force close. Second time was while within the settings menu. I clicked the second tab on top (I believe it was notifications), got a black screen, and then the forced close.

Using a Nexus One, non-rooted.

Also, just a suggestion... I suggest a preference option to switch it from kilometers to miles for the distance measurement. Not a biggie, but one that many people may enjoy. If it is already in there and I didn't see it, I apologize and ignore this suggestion.

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Also, just a suggestion... I suggest a preference option to switch it from kilometers to miles for the distance measurement. Not a biggie, but one that many people may enjoy. If it is already in there and I didn't see it, I apologize and ignore this suggestion.

Agree. As I have no idea how far away people are from me. Once again not a real current issue for me as nobody in Iowa has it last time I checked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon