Best Password Vault

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll be switching from the 3G iPhone to the HTC Evo on 6/4 and Android is a new beast for me. I have searched for password vault programs (AndroLib), and there are quite a few of them, but I would appreciate feedback on the better ones. I'm not limited to free apps either.

Brian

gmz73#AC

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I am looking for a similar app too. I use Passwork keeper on my Storm2 but what does everyone recommend for the Incredible. Mine should arrive early next week so I was looking for ideas on what people like best. Thanks

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been investigating a wallet type app as well. As others have mentioned, Keepass (can be used somewhat easily with online services like Dropbox for syncing), OISafe (device only I think), Keeper ($30 with desktop component), and B-Folders ($30 with desktop component). I'm leaning towards B-Folders. I'm still not crazy about a cloud solution like Keepass/Dropbox (or LastPass for that matter), and B-Folders has been working quite well with its cross platform desktop solutions (Linux!) and 5 device "recommended" limit per license. It fits best with my ideal setup (no cloud, but cross platform sync). Keeper has a 2 desktop max I believe; others no real limit since they are free and/or open source.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've been investigating a wallet type app as well. As others have mentioned, Keepass (can be used somewhat easily with online services like Dropbox for syncing), OISafe (device only I think), Keeper ($30 with desktop component), and B-Folders ($30 with desktop component). I'm leaning towards B-Folders. I'm still not crazy about a cloud solution like Keepass/Dropbox (or LastPass for that matter), and B-Folders has been working quite well with its cross platform desktop solutions (Linux!) and 5 device "recommended" limit per license. It fits best with my ideal setup (no cloud, but cross platform sync). Keeper has a 2 desktop max I believe; others no real limit since they are free and/or open source.

Based on this post, I've been playing with B-Folders. I really want to like it, but the program is just so rigid and limiting I'm finding myself getting more annoyed each time I go to enter a record.

The B-Folder folks apparently believe they hold the wisdom of what kind of data should be stored for a particular record type. For example, there's a login record, where I can enter a URL, UID and password. And there's a credit card record type where I can enter card #, expiration date, name on card, etc. But not the card vendor's website and login information for that website.

Similarly, there's a bookmark record type, that accepts URL and a title, but not login information, and a contact record type that allows only 1 email address, no website information, and a total of only 3 phone numbers (cell, work, home).

The only way around these very rigid limitations on data entry is to stick stuff in the "notes" field or each record type, which works, but is far from convenient or ideal.

What planet are these people living on? They may be great security people, and great programmers, but they've got no clue about the real world or UI design.

rhippler

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I vote for Keepass also. love the way it puts notifications in the notification bar so you can easily copy paste username and password into another app. and the latest version can read keepass v2 files. I just add new passwords on the PC and send the file via bluetooth the the droid.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i use a password protected MS Word File with Strong Encryption and Documents To Go. the beauty is you can open this file on any device in the world with MS Word or Docs To Go. Docs To Go 3.0 coming soon will support Office 2007 Super Strong Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word File. i don't like some mom and pop locked proprietary closed format. and MS Word and Docs To Go is free if you already have it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Based on this post, I've been playing with B-Folders. I really want to like it, but the program is just so rigid and limiting I'm finding myself getting more annoyed each time I go to enter a record.

I've been in touch we the developers of B-Folders via email, and they've been very responsive to my suggestions and questions. It sounds like there will be a new version soon that addresses a number of my issues. I do like their responsiveness. I'll keep my eye on this program.

i use a password protected MS Word File with Strong Encryption and Documents To Go. the beauty is you can open this file on any device in the world with MS Word or Docs To Go. Docs To Go 3.0 coming soon will support Office 2007 Super Strong Encryption/Password.

i like the free-flow format and the open standard of an MS Word File. i don't like some mom and pop locked proprietary closed format. and MS Word and Docs To Go is free if you already have it.

Interesting idea. Do you know what MS uses for Strong Encryption with MS word? The nice thing about B-Folders is the easy synchronization between copies on different computers, which you'd have to handle manually with MS Word. I'll have to play with this a bit, too. Do you know if the free version of Docs To Go will allow you to read the encrypted files?

Not sure I'd call MS Word truly "open," and with the Super Strong encryption you'll need any computer on which you open the file to have Office 2007, but those are relatively minor issues.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. Do you know what MS uses for Strong Encryption with MS word?

Microsoft Office 2007 uses 128 bit AES for password encryption. In 2003, the US Government announced that the AES encryption algorithm may be used for classified information. This is specified in The National Policy on the use of the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) to Protect National Security Systems and National Security Information (CNSSP-15).

2. The nice thing about B-Folders is the easy synchronization between copies on different computers, which you'd have to handle manually with MS Word.

i use -

AndFTP for Android
Filezilla for PC
drivehq.com

3. Do you know if the free version of Docs To Go will allow you to read the encrypted files?

No. you need the paid version for $14.99. worth every penny IMO.

4. Not sure I'd call MS Word truly "open," and with the Super Strong encryption you'll need any computer on which you open the file to have Office 2007, but those are relatively minor issues.

it's "open" in the sense that multiple Non-Microsoft applications can create, edit, and open MS Word docs ex. Docs To Go. MS Word is an open standard and the application and formats will endure for the foreseeable future and is a known trusted provider. good luck with "Mom & Pop's Password Safe" and the closed proprietary format they use. get it?

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Since i didn't see it mentioned, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

You need to decide what you want the app for:
1) Is it simply as a reference in case you forget your passwords, or do you want something that you will use daily and have it automatically know your passwords when you browse sites?

2) Do you need to store passwords Outside of those for your computer browser, such as home security codes, credit card security questions etc..

3) Do you need something that you can access anywhere in the world, or do you want to make sure to carry a device/paper/PC with you to get access to your passwords?

Those were the 3 main criteria questions I used a while back when trying to decide, and the one that fit the bill the most was Siber Systems' Roboform.

What I like about it is that when I'm on a PC it automatically puts a toolbar in my browser which lets me '1-click' to log into a site. In addition the program is fully run from a USB drive so no software on the PC is needed. I can even pick up that drive and plug it into any PC that has USB and it will automatically re-hook the browser plug in.

It also can function as a standard 'look up this password' by accessing the tray icon when it's running.

I can add any passwords I want, even if not a web browser type manually. (Browser passwords automatically get saved if you choose to, or prompted).

They also have an online version which is FREE if you use any of their desktop software (standard or '2-go' which is the USB version counts).

Using the online version lets you gain access to your passwords from anything that can browse the web.. INCLUDING your android phone. In addition for Android they have a 'bookmarket' app that will auto fill your passwords while surfing on the phone. It's not the most elegant interface, but it does work with both the default browser, and Dolphin HQ (I use dolphin myself and it seems to work though not supported).

There's only one big drawback that I've found, and that is exporting your passwords. Because of the way it is able to automatically fill in websites, it has no standard format that can be easily exported and reimported to another program. You can of course print out your passwords, and export to CSV, but each password/site combination can have a different amount of fields and even a different order.

Overall even with that flaw it's probably the best one I've ever used.
It has lots more options and featuures of course, but you can read all about it at the site:
RoboForm Features: Fill In Forms, Automatic Forms Completion, Save Forms, Search Toolbar
and the bookmarklet can be found on appbrain or the android market:

RoboForm Bookmarklet Installer
by Siber Systems
5,000 downloads, 86 ratings (3.1 avg)
Free
rating6.png

Note: I am NOT affiliated in any way with Roboform.. I just love the software :)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
fyi - here is how i set up my simple free flow encrypted password protected MS Word Document. you can use "DATA" as the file name or whatever you like. i'd keep it vauge so as to not make it a target. the rest are the headings for each category. within each category is a simple sentence for each vendor containing the applicable information - vendor name, account #, PIN, username, password, telephone number, etc. each vendor has a single line. use the CAPITAL LETTER headings for each category to make them easy to find and to keep organized. enjoy.

----------------------

"DATA"

DEBIT AND CREDIT CARDS

ATM PINS

CHECKING AND SAVINGS ACCOUNTS

ONLINE BANKING

INVESTMENTS

COMPUTER

EMPLOYERS

TECHNOLOGY PROVIDERS

UTILITIES

AUTOMOBILE

INSURANCE

RETAILERS AND SERVICES

VALUABLES

AIRLINES AND TRAINS

HOTELS

EMAIL ACCOUNTS

6-9-10

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have it on good authority that mSeven will be releasing their mSecure app for Android RSN. (Augusty Setptembey time frame).

This is one of the better iPhone wallets, and has an optional desktop component as well.

mSeven Software

The desktop option costs 15 bucks, but you really don't need it if you keep everything on the phone.

It has the option of saving backups, emailing an encrypted backup, restoring from backups, and syncing with desktop (if you buy that option).

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have it on good authority that mSeven will be releasing their mSecure app for Android RSN. (Augusty Setptembey time frame).

The desktop option costs 15 bucks, but you really don't need it if you keep everything on the phone.

I'd suggest syncing with (or at least copying to) something, either the desktop or the cloud, is a mandatory requirement for any password database. If you only store it on the phone, and you lose the phone, or it gets stolen, you've just lost your password database.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I use LastPass in combination with the Chrome browser extension. It's like Roboform only alot better :)

But I will admit, I still prefer 1Password and it's the only thing I miss after switching from Mac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis