Greetings everyone,
    I'm a newly-converted Android user--coming over from webOS and trying to figure out how to perform something I could do on webOS.

I frequently work in documents that need Unicode extended character sets--specifically the IPA. I've been trying to find the right Office app to use this, but I'm realizing that part of the problem is also an operating system issue.

I have two new devices--the AT&T Galaxy S II and an Acer Iconia A500. I can load documents on both of them. I can open them in both OfficeSuite Pro and Word to Go on both devices. I can see the characters on my Tablet (Honeycomb) but not on my Phone (Gingerbread). This tells me it's the operating system that determines access to these characters.

Here's where I need help.
    1. Is it possible to bypass Gingerbread's lack of support? (I have not yet rooted my phone--it's , but I'm willing to do it)
    2. Is there a simple way to access the extended characters? In webOS, I had a separate Keyboard app in which I created a keyboard that allowed me to access the Unicode characters and then copy and paste into a document. This wasn't ideal, but it worked. I tried downloading MultiLing keyboard, which seems like it should work, but I need to figure out if I can make a keyboard for it. Is there another way?

This is really a function that would be needed for anyone working in multiple languages. Any omniglots out there have tips for me?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Michael
    10-20-2011 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD