Look for a GPS tagging app

webbie721

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I am not positive I am asking correctly, but I am looking to tag a location on the ground and then be able to come back in a week or 2. I have looked at Geocaching apps, but they don't allow me to set my own locations, only go to existing ones.

My company does site preparation for home builders. We are trying to find a way to utilize my Droid to set locations and then be able to come back.

Is there an app that will show me the exactly gps coordinates and then direct me exactly back to that location?

What is the accuracy I can expect on my Droid?

Any information would be appreciated.......

James

Meeko

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I marked all our deer blinds at the deer lease and made a map with Google Earth using just Google Maps App, it is right on point on my Incredible. Try using Google Maps

webbie721

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I marked all our deer blinds at the deer lease and made a map with Google Earth using just Google Maps App, it is right on point on my Incredible. Try using Google Maps

Does it get you close and you visually spot your blinds? The stuff I am trying to locate will be covered by dirt, so getting me close wont work. I need to be with in a foot...if possible...

Thanks for the suggestion!

G

GenericMessage

Well my blinds aren't visible from satellite, plus those images are old. But it does get me darn close!

I just put a little star on it

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Check out the post I made in this thread. Someone had a similar question there. And then please tell me if it was helpful. The other poster gave no feedback so I assume it was... :)

P.s.: After reading that thread, here's some more info: When you click on the marker in My Maps Editor, you'll see the text Open this location with... at the bottom. Clicking on this pops up an app chooser window, that lets you pass the coordinates to Google Maps, or in my case, I am able to open my navigation software too (bad Google, no maps navigation in Europe yet...). From there, you can easily have your phone navigate you back to the location.

Last edited:

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Does it get you close and you visually spot your blinds? The stuff I am trying to locate will be covered by dirt, so getting me close wont work. I need to be with in a foot...if possible...

I don't think you can expect that kind of accuracy. About the only way to do that is with differential GPS, and to the best of my knowledge no cell phones do that. I don't think even dedicated consumer-grade gps units do differential yet - it's a high end thing.

theoneuafter

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
There is an app called My Tracks. You activate your gps and it tracks where you go as long as you have it on. I use this for almost the same thing. When you are at a site you can mark and name as many waypoints as you like.

You have to start recording with it and it will track for you with a red line on your map and you can save it and return to the map anytime you like. You can even email a copy of it to yourself and print it out if you need to.

Give it a shot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks