Possible huge privacy violation in Dolphin HD announced

Dansport

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I just found a thread about Dolphin HD on the Android Police forum that disturbs me.

It says that Dolphin HD "sends pretty much every web page url you visit, including those that start with https, to a remote server en.mywebzines.com, which belongs to the company." The post is by Artem Russakovskii, the founder of Android Police. Here's the post:

[Privacy Advisory] Dolphin HD Sends URL Of Every Page You Visit To A Remote Server (In Plain-Text)

I don't want my surfing activity analyzed by ANYONE FOR ANY REASON! He posts a work-around but it only works if the phone is rooted. WTH?!?! Just how much info is given is also posted and is quite alarming to me. I'm new to this type of thing so someone either tell me I'm misled or let's raise some hell.

Rav3nCroft

May 12, 2011
Visit site
There is a post on xda that includes a patched file... Which BTW I'm running after I read the post.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Rav3nCroft

May 12, 2011
Visit site
It's a "cleaned" and signed apk... and yes it can be used on an unrooted phone. Directions for install can be found HERE.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

watson387

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Dolphin isn't THAT good of a browser that you should be running a patched version. After this latest privacy invasion Dolphin should be boycotted. It shouldn't be used at all. There are plenty other good browsers out there.

EDIT: Check out this reply from the Dolphin team in the XDA thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=18838115

It sounds genuine. Make your own opinion.

Drunk texted from my CM7 Bolt.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I like Dolphin. However, there vague privacy policy has always concerned me. The terms you agree to say that they collect "user analytics" but never define what that is.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch