iris - yeah it pretty much sucks

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So I have been playing with iris a little and had high hopes after using Siri on my friends iphone and I have been very disappointed. It seems to be more like chatbot with a tude than a helpful tool.

I asked where I should go to lunch today and it told me I should stop being selfish and thing of poor hungry people first. I was hoping to get a list of local restaurants.

I asked where I can order a pizza and it told me to do a web search and look it up. I was hoping for a list of pizza places close to me.

I asked where a good Chinese restaurant is and it told me "right where it should be"

I do appreciate wise ass humor but I was hoping for something a little more useful.

What experiences has everyone else had with iris? Does it do anything useful or just talk smack?

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
So far it has done well with calling and texting stuff like that. But it is only in an alpha stage of the app. Not even close to being finished. I will wait to pass full judgement on it once it is finished.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The repeated response to my command is driving me crazy. Clearly this application isn't ready to be used not even in beta stage. I'll stick to Google.

Reactions: Jerry-O

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Voice Actions also seems to work well. I've been using that one for almost a year and it seems to respond better than other ones I've tried. Ask for the nearest pizza place and it open Google Maps and searches for you.

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The repeated response to my command is driving me crazy. Clearly this application isn't ready to be used not even in beta stage. I'll stick to Google.

You can turn that off in the settings.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
SpeakToIt works pretty well for me on my TBolt. It gets updates pretty frequently. It works as advertised. I'm hoping for some expanded functionality but if you don't wander too far off the reservation it is actually pretty useful. Go outside its comfort zone and you get the "I'm not sure how to do that yet" message. It also works with SVOX and Loquendo TTS voices so you're not stuck with the stock Pico TTS voice.

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Like said above Iris is still alpha. Apparently the developer made it in 8 hours. Although I cant speak to it value yet(waiting for it to be completed), I think it shows promise. I would try speaktoit. In my opinion, speaktoit is the best one around right now.