Hotmail App now live!

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Well a lot of people I know use Hotmail. I do all the time, and one of the things I always was wishing for was full sync/push like Gmail has. Out side of Exchange accounts or if you have a Motorola phone - yahoo mail push there wasn't an answer. Then MS put out ActiveSync Hotmail support - which is basically a free exchange server for Hotmail users. That worked most of the time, but still wasn't user friendly like the Gmail app.

Then tonight I noticed MS FINALLY put out a Hotmail app. Like they did with Windows Live Messenger, they teamed up with a third party.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hotmail.Z7&hl=en

Apparently it's been out a couple of weeks now, and I only noticed it tonight. I've been playing with it now for a couple hours and I have to say... This is simply every bit as good as the native Gmail client. In fact it's pretty shocking that MS did something right for a change.

The amount of features is staggering and it integrates into the OS just like Gmail does. Right down to the "Add Account" screen everyone knows about with Android. It also allows full usage and syncing of your WinLive/Hotmail contacts and your WinLive/Hotmail calendar. However you can set it to NOT sync contacts or sync calendar. If you do choose to sync them though - your calendar becomes integrated and selectable in the native Android calendar app, just like your contacts are added to the native Android contacts app - with all the customizations you desire - just like any other native Android app/Twitter/Facebook etc.

All my folders keep perfect sync like you'd expect just like Gmail as it uses a version of IMAP/Exnchange protocol. As like Gmail it also shows all your custom folders, flags messages as read, etc. You can even tell it what folders to sync, how many days to sync emails, everything.

I've been using Hotmail for over 10 years now as it was obviously one of the first, and is the oldest and most used web based mail system.

Enjoy!
_______

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I think I've had it for about a month now, and it seems to work fine. And Seven has been around for years, but there was a charge for it.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Is this another front end app? In effect, a shortcut for hotmails web address in an app window?

Because, when running most apps that claim to be a hotmail app, in essence, it's just a browser within an app with a couple of notification functions.

EDIT: Not compatible with some devices. Like tablets running HC. So just run the apk through your FM.

But then it sends you notifications of all mail you haven't previously answered to!!!!

Last edited:

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Is this another front end app? In effect, a shortcut for hotmails web address in an app window?

Because, when running most apps that claim to be a hotmail app, in essence, it's just a browser within an app with a couple of notification functions.

EDIT: Not compatible with some devices. Like tablets running HC. So just run the apk through your FM.

But then it sends you notifications of all mail you haven't previously answered to!!!!
It behaves just like gmail on an Android phone does.

galfert

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
For Hotmail users this beats using the Exchange ActiveSync protocol with another email client. The big reason it is better is because it supports displaying of HTML email. With other email apps if you configure Hotmail to be an POP or IMAP account then you sometimes get HTML depending on the client app. But with those other email apps if you configure for Push Exchange ActiveSync (mail, contacts, calendar) then you give up HTML email support.

Bottom line: With other email apps you can't have both HTML email and Push Exchange ActiveSync ...it is either one or the other.

For this reason I'm recommending the Hotmail app instead of using other options.

Con: Only thing missing as compared to Gmail is the ability to mark Spam/Junk emails.