MailDroid vs K-9

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Are you working on the loading feature for imap so it stays on my phone and does not have to load up each time along with not having to choose an account when you only have one (I believe you mentioned these in previous threads)> add those along with the other updates and I will be a very happy camper. already love the app.

Yup!

Bruinfanjb

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I installed the mail droid app and set up my email accounts. I get the notification that I received an email, but when I go to my mail droid inbox, there are no emails. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any help!

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Since last upgrade I am not receiving emails overnight unless I re-boot. I never had to do this before. It only seems to happen while Inc is on charger for long periods of time.

Does this have anything to do with Prevent Sleep Mode? I have it set to "no" to save battery. It still notifies me when screen has gone dark as far as I can tell. Or is the fact that it is on the charger play a role?

Thanks.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Since last upgrade I am not receiving emails overnight unless I re-boot. I never had to do this before. It only seems to happen while Inc is on charger for long periods of time.

Does this have anything to do with Prevent Sleep Mode? I have it set to "no" to save battery. It still notifies me when screen has gone dark as far as I can tell. Or is the fact that it is on the charger play a role?

Thanks.

Do you have a rule set up? I have a default rule set up for night, perhaps that just needs to be deleted.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I installed the mail droid app and set up my email accounts. I get the notification that I received an email, but when I go to my mail droid inbox, there are no emails. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any help!

you did click the account with the asterisks by it correct stating that account has the new mail in it?:cool:

Jubz

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. There is already a way to CC or BCC an account by default each time you send an email. I did not do self-bcc as I figured that locks you down to one account and instead made a way to CC or BCC any number of accounts (you can have mail1;mail2;mail3 etc.)

Excellent, exactly what I was hoping for. Yes, definitely like the option of choosing which account for the BCC's. Thanks.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a rule set up? I have a default rule set up for night, perhaps that just needs to be deleted.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Doesn't the Rule simply turn off the programmed notifications during the stipulated time period and days? What is happening since the last upgrade is that I am not receiving the emails at all until I do a soft boot. If I have the Prevent Sleep Mode set to no does that mean emails will not be received until I open MD or just that I will not be notified when an email comes in (gMail). During the day when I am using the device frequently it notifies me when the screen is dark and locked even though I have Prevent Sleep Mode set to "no". Made it would help if you explain exactly what Prevent Sleep Mode does. If set to no what and when will I receive notifications of new mail.

Thanks.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Doesn't the Rule simply turn off the programmed notifications during the stipulated time period and days? What is happening since the last upgrade is that I am not receiving the emails at all until I do a soft boot. If I have the Prevent Sleep Mode set to no does that mean emails will not be received until I open MD or just that I will not be notified when an email comes in (gMail). During the day when I am using the device frequently it notifies me when the screen is dark and locked even though I have Prevent Sleep Mode set to "no". Made it would help if you explain exactly what Prevent Sleep Mode does. If set to no what and when will I receive notifications of new mail.

Thanks.

I am redoing sleep mode a bit in the next version, so better to explain it then. However, now that I understand what you are saying it is a good question. When you said you were getting the mail during the day and not at night, I guessed a rule. But, it seems you don't mean notifications and instead mean actually push/pull (when it is plugged in).

Let's take this off the thread. Shoot me an email at maildroiddev at gmail. I'll work with you there.

VaccPalm

May 21, 2010
Visit site
One suggestion would be to have a button like k-9 that you can retrieve new emails right from the screen instead of having to hit the menu button and then the refresh button to get new emails. On K-9 you just hit the "get new messages" button on the screen . Makes it easier for one handed operation and when driving and you want to check email but dont want to take your eyes off the road. you can just leave the email open and touch the screen.

Also is there a way to re-order the Email accounts. I put 5-6 in and want the most used one to be on top of the list.

Also can you define which account is the main account for sending emails ?

Thanks its a great email app and while I am still using K-9 its probally only a matter of time until I am using MailDroid.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Would be interesting to know. I will be adding a calendar hook for google eventually.

Wouldn't it be easier to add a hook to the built in Android calendar and then let it sync with whatever calendar the user uses (Google, Exchange, Outlook, etc.)? For example, to click a button and then it would pull up an Android calendar entry with the text of the email in the calendar notes section.

Anyway, just a thought...

Scott

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
One suggestion would be to have a button like k-9 that you can retrieve new emails right from the screen instead of having to hit the menu button and then the refresh button to get new emails. On K-9 you just hit the "get new messages" button on the screen . Makes it easier for one handed operation and when driving and you want to check email but dont want to take your eyes off the road. you can just leave the email open and touch the screen.

Also is there a way to re-order the Email accounts. I put 5-6 in and want the most used one to be on top of the list.

Also can you define which account is the main account for sending emails ?

Thanks its a great email app and while I am still using K-9 its probally only a matter of time until I am using MailDroid.

1. I'll consider to add the refresh, makes sense.
2. Not yet, I have had this on my list since version 0.98 when I wanted to do it for the same reason. I'll get to it eventually.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't it be easier to add a hook to the built in Android calendar and then let it sync with whatever calendar the user uses (Google, Exchange, Outlook, etc.)? For example, to click a button and then it would pull up an Android calendar entry with the text of the email in the calendar notes section.

Anyway, just a thought...

Scott

I have not really thought this through, so you may be right.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@everyone

As I mentioned, I am re-doing the entire approach of how I get mail and also the idea of delete from phone in the next version. This requires a massive amount of testing, and I am curious if anyone wants to help test that.

If you are, please send me a PM. I won't be responding to every PM and just because you send me a PM does not mean I'll send you the test version. I am looking for people who really use MD all the time and those who are willing to try a version that may be buggy.

nightranger

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I really like maildroid but I can not get it to open pdfs, it says there is no application available to open this content. I have two pdf applications installed. Is this a known bug or is it something that is a configuration error on my part? Great app though, when I found it I instantly deleted K-9. IMO it is leaps and bounds beyond K-9. Will definitely buy the paid version if this attachment deal is fixed.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems opening pdf's with my yahoo e-mail on Maildroid. Sometimes it takes a little while to download a local copy, but they open fine...

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I really like maildroid but I can not get it to open pdfs, it says there is no application available to open this content. I have two pdf applications installed. Is this a known bug or is it something that is a configuration error on my part? Great app though, when I found it I instantly deleted K-9. IMO it is leaps and bounds beyond K-9. Will definitely buy the paid version if this attachment deal is fixed.

As LDubs said, they should open without an issue. If the pdf is corrupt, that is another story. Does this happen on every pdf or only on some? Is it just pdfs? The error that you saw, I would also get if the pdf file is corrupted. Also, what device do you have?

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How do I get syncing started on K-9? I set the check times but it won't sync unless I open the app. I have been jumping between both apps comparing them and they are both great apps but forgot how to get K-9 syncing again?