MailDroid vs K-9

mikedaub

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I have searched this forum for the term MailDroid, but only 3 results came up, so I thought I would make a post.

Got myself one of those fancy Incredibles, and all is well...Except for the Imap email problems. When I first got it, it was apparent that the stock HTC program wouldn't work, so I went with what I heard was the next best thing, K-9 mail. And for the most part, it works pretty well. Until a few days ago. Not sure why, but I was unable to send any emails. It looked like in the settings, I had to change from logging into the outbound server, to not logging into the outbound server to send emails. Not really sure why that changed, but it worked and I could send emails. I was content. Then there was this morning. I had 49 push errors in a 10 minute span and wasn't able to send any messages this morning. I really didn't play around with the settings this time. After all, I didn't change anything on my server's end, and I didn't upgrade anything on the phone. One would think nothing has changed, but for some reason, still getting errors.

So, anything else out there equipped to handle Imap email any better?

It looks like there is a "Seven Beta Program" but without creating an account, I am unable to see if it would work with the incredible. From what I found through some quick searching, it doesn't play nice with Verizon phones. Not sure why, that is just what a forum post said.

So that leads me to MailDroid (https://slideme.org/application/maildroid). Anyone out there using it? Any thoughts/comparisons to K-9 Mail? It looks like it has gotten some pretty positive reviews on their website and in the forum, but just curious if anyone here has had any comments..

Thanks in advance..

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
MailDroid can also be found on the google market (it was moved from slideme at version one, but still lives on both sites). I am fairly responsive to users who email me (and who post in forums). I am biased, so I won't compare. However, both K9 and MailDroid are good programs. I personally have not used seven and mainly have just heard that the client was just "ok". MailDroid was written from the ground up since I also had problems with K9 which was built on top of the stock client. Having said that, K9 is a solid email client for many people.

I look forward to any feedback that you may have.

Last edited:

bling300c

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
first impressions of MailDroid are great. I have been using K9 and have been disappointed by it. So far MD seems better.

My base line is Chatter from Palm which was fantastic!

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Looks interesting.

How stable is it at this point?

Integrated inbox?

Why the OI FM requirement?

Full support for outgoing attachments (all types) from within the app?

Mrfitz

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I want a mail client that will show unread count, that can also understand folders (or as gmail calls them - labels). Either a list of all my folders with unread count..

In 3
News 0
Sports 1

Or just have the labels with unread (don't show labels/folders that have no unread). I don't want to have to select "Folders," I should get a list of all folders initially, then I can choose which want I want to drill into.

Make any sense?

I like the looks of Maildroid, and it seems to work pretty good. I would pay for a no advertising version. It certainly looks better (to me) than anything else I've looked at (7, k9 gmail and sense).

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I just set up my MailDroid and it has a much better feel than K-9 to me. I too and coming from a BB Storm and this seems to be the closest to BIS we can get on Droid. I still miss my BBM, but maybe Cnectd will catch on and get better.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Would like to see ability to select a signature. I like how, in K9, I can set a default signature for each account but select an alternate if desired. I'd be OK with a single default for all of MailDroid with the ability to select alternates. I use some of my accounts in different contexts, using a different signature for each context.

Last edited:

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Another thing I'd like to see, again from K9:
- while viewing a message buttons to scroll to the previous/next message context
- while viewing a message when I press delete automatically display the previous/next message contents

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
So I've tried k9 and seven and neither have been able to connect to my school email server so I'm def willing to try out maildroid. Where can I download it? It's not in the market huh?

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I setup my hotmail account successfully. Is the hotmail connection POP or IMAP? IMAP I hope.

I ask because I have a q.com account that's really on the MS/hotmail/live servers and want to set it up the same as the hotmail account?

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
ok update:

i figured out install... and it wont run the only email account i want it to run

ive been trying to find an app FOREVER that will run this god damn email account i have for school

socal sxt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I tried both Seven and K9 and was not impressed with either, does anyone know how to get maildroid to open PDF's? so far the built in mail apps seem to be the best IMO.

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I gave up K-9. Malldroid is working much better. It actually syncs my yahoo and hotmail over wifi. alot easier to work with too. There are some improvements that need to made on MallDroid, but it is still better than K-9 in my opinion. I think it is the closest to BIS on the Droid right now.

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I take back everything positive I said about railroad, this app is garbage. Im not sure if its supposed to be impossible to navigate around within an email but it definitely is. Also the settings area is lacking. Time to find a new app.

List of failures:

Native incredible email
K-9
Seven
Maildroid

Wonderful

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I've used K-9 on my Moto Droid for many months now. It handles POP great!

Unfortunately, it falls short with IMAP. I cannot get the changes from my phone to sync to the server. The changes from my desktop always sync fine and the changes appear on my phone. But when I read, delete, flag, etc. on my phone, the changes do not appear on my desktop. In fact, when I read a message, the next sync it shows as unread again. Only after I read it on my computer does it show as read on the phone.

But, I do like the signatures, folders, ease of use of K-9. I like being able to select multiple messages from the inbox and and the ability to purge deleted e-mails. It would be nice to have "select all" function for other mail boxes.

I may try Maildroid. The inconsistent IMAP coordination is getting annoying. My main account is IMAP and I get tired or re-deleting e-mails on my computer that were read and discarded on my phone.

K-9 is still way better than the stock application. But the quirks are getting tiresome.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance