07-11-2013 08:24 AM
578 12345 ...
tools
    ok...

maybe I am a little lost here....

I am in need of almost 24/7 availability... So email is an must....

But, I use my phone for email only when away from my laptop.... and once I get the email there, i have no further use for it on my device.

Reading some of these posts.... I an interested in why one feels a need to archive or maintain old email on their devices...

Lego!
    This has always been my question :-) MailDroid initially was created as an online client (for both pop3 and imap). As more users began using the application, most feedback was around offline capability, storing emails on phone, deleting only from phone etc.

You have to go with the masses though! If this is what my users want, I will do this for them.
    06-29-2010 08:16 AM
    Keep up the good work maildroiddev, Seeing how active you are in responding and trying to polish this app makes me glad I chose your app.
    06-29-2010 09:47 AM
    Thanks, here are some comments:

1. What is the need for archive on a mobile device, or do you mean archive in the sense that "gmail" uses it?
    I want an Archive button so it archives like it does in Gmail. I have a ton of email that comes in, gets filtered and assigned a label. I like to see them in the inbox in case I want to read them but whether I read them or not I just want to hit archive which removes them from the inbox but they stay labeled. I do not want them to get deleted or trashed.
    Archive really just removes the Inbox label but that is very useful. Also add to your future to do list a way to see all the gmail labs custom stars. You would be way ahead of the curve then.

Thanks, here are some comments:

4. A paid version will be available (I hope) in August. I don't believe in offering a beta application as "paid" and it also is missing many features. When it is a bit more complete, I will feel more comfortable about offering a paid version.
    Since it is beta can we have a version without the ads until then PLEASE?? They are annoying enough to me that I may just stop using this already. I will pay ahead of time for a version without it, they really annoy me in certain apps, and my Email program is one of them. I hate seeing it flash and change, it distracts me.

I have a question. I have two gmail accounts that I use. I want my work one to notify me when I get a new email. That works.

I want my personal one to do nothing. So I discovered how to set a rule (awesome option BTW) and set that account to no sound/vibration/light. However it is still putting the icon in the notification bar. Can you add a rule to turn that off as well? I don’t want to see that icon at all unless it is work related!

I know it is a small thing but I hate seeing notifications and/or icons there unless it has to be. ii
    06-29-2010 09:48 AM
    1. Yup, a gmail specific function, and well the labs stars would be jumping ahead. I'll look into the stars...archive is on my list already.

2. Ads are shown in 3 locations. Inbox, Accounts Screen, and folder list. One thing to consider is that developers need to drink coffee, eat skittles and pizza, and drink beer when reading forums. The ad revenue pays for this ;-)

3. Sure, I got that request already from another user. I have version 1.25 coming out in a day or so, so I'll try and sneak it into this one or the next one.
    06-29-2010 12:06 PM
    @maildroiddev I was trying to send an email with a pic/video attachment to a different email listed under that contact but it only allows me to pick from their "primary" email and no others like number@vzpix.com etc. Is that something that can be changed?
    06-29-2010 12:53 PM
    Out of curiousity, are the banners converting ok? While I've done web based ads, I have no idea how good/bad banner conversions are on a mobile device
    06-29-2010 01:01 PM
    You mean in your address book you have a bunch of email addresses and auto-suggest is only picking up the primary?
    06-29-2010 01:02 PM
    2. Ads are shown in 3 locations. Inbox, Accounts Screen, and folder list. One thing to consider is that developers need to drink coffee, eat skittles and pizza, and drink beer when reading forums. The ad revenue pays for this ;-)
    I completely understand that! That is why I said I will pay you for a version without them. ii It is the inbox one that bothers me.

Another request: Just tossing these out here! ii
    On the rule screen have a way that I can make an exception to get notified if the message has a star! (and in the future from specific senders as well.) So in my personal Email I never want to know I got an email unless it is from a friend.. ii

The star option alone would work as I already have a filter in Gmail that stars friends emails.
    06-29-2010 01:02 PM
    Out of curiousity, are the banners converting ok? While I've done web based ads, I have no idea how good/bad banner conversions are on a mobile device
    Outside the scope of this forum :-) In general not great, but not terrible. CTR in Android across all applications is known to be disappointing.
    06-29-2010 01:03 PM
    You mean in your address book you have a bunch of email addresses and auto-suggest is only picking up the primary?
    I see what its doing now, if i type a contact name like Joe, it will not pick up emails listed under that contact, just anything that begin with "J" Then if i type in the nuumbers it will auto suggested based on the number.

I would like to type in a contacts name and then have the choice of selecting from all their emails listed under that contact.

For example K-9 does this.
    06-29-2010 01:10 PM
    I have a plan to update the rules for a 'per user basis', but it is not at the top of my list now. I have many people who want search and exchange integration...this has been my top priority for now.
    06-29-2010 02:09 PM
    @kicko: This is available in version 1.25, which will be released Thursday. I actually missed this in 1.20.
    06-29-2010 02:11 PM
    @kicko: This is available in version 1.25, which will be released Thursday. I actually missed this in 1.20.

U'Da'man!!

After that i would say take it out of beta, paid with no ADs.
    06-29-2010 02:20 PM
    U'Da'man!!

After that i would say take it out of beta, paid with no ADs.
    Woo Hoo!!!! ii
    I think I found my new Email program!
    06-29-2010 03:28 PM
    ;-)

Keep the comments coming.
    06-29-2010 03:39 PM
    Sweet mail app. I tried K9, but wasn't wow'd by it and didn't get all of my email. So far the MailDroid is the shizzle and I can send emails. The Dev is quick to answer questions too if you are having problems.
    06-29-2010 05:34 PM
    I love MailDroid. I have been suggesting to anyone that came from BB because it is very close to BIS for android. Once this is out of beta, I think it will surpass k-9 as the got to email for android. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
    06-29-2010 06:31 PM
    @erod, Thanks!

@g-money, Thanks as well, I know you have been a long-time user. Some cool features are coming in the next few weeks....hopefully I'll be out of beta soon!
    06-29-2010 07:45 PM
    I just have a quick question, if i want to check my hotmail every 3 hours i have to have the connection open correct? the number of minutes set does not affect the connection just the duration of fetch? Am i correct in how this works?

The other suggestion i have is sometimes i go to click delete and it opens the mail instead. Is there any way we can toggle between delete and opening mails? for example you can select delete from the menu and then check boxes appear, if not selected then click on emails will do nothing but open by default. Maybe its just me i would like to see that as an option. Or another option could be a swipe will open a delete option like on the iphone mail app.

Any thought in to changing the icon? I like it but it reminds me of the creature in the trash compactor from star wars.

I would totally pay for this app.
    06-29-2010 08:35 PM
    Couple of Maildroid questions:
    - When reading a message how do I go to the next or previous message?
    - Related: If I delete a message while reading it I want to go to the next/previous message. Can I do that?
    - Can I have multiple signatures for each account, set one of those as the default for that account and the ability to pick which one to use if I don;t want the default?
    06-29-2010 11:57 PM
    I just have a quick question, if i want to check my hotmail every 3 hours i have to have the connection open correct? the number of minutes set does not affect the connection just the duration of fetch? Am i correct in how this works?

The other suggestion i have is sometimes i go to click delete and it opens the mail instead. Is there any way we can toggle between delete and opening mails? for example you can select delete from the menu and then check boxes appear, if not selected then click on emails will do nothing but open by default. Maybe its just me i would like to see that as an option. Or another option could be a swipe will open a delete option like on the iphone mail app.

Any thought in to changing the icon? I like it but it reminds me of the creature in the trash compactor from star wars.

I would totally pay for this app.
    1. No, you do not need to leave the connection open. However, it will be a bit slower when you open your inbox if you keep the connection closed. The idea for this feature is for two reasons. One, some pop3 servers only allow one connection to the server and if you leave the connection open, you can't login from another location using Thunderbird or some other client (Hotmail is not a problem to keep open). Second, if you are capped at a network data and want the least amount of data sent, you can shut this off. The packet sent to the server is tiny, but if you want full control, you can have it.

2. I need to spend some time to tidy up the user interface, but I really would rather get all the features working.

3. No thoughts yet on what the icon should look like. I personally like it, but don't care either way. Many users have requested a more professional icon. I am open to suggestions.
    06-30-2010 05:56 AM
    I'm still using K-9, which has an ugly icon as well, but I can't stand MailDroid's icon... kinda creepy.

Just a regular mail related icon, like a post office stamp, maybe a post office stamp of a robot or something. Make the icon better and I'll jump ship for mail droid.
    06-30-2010 06:59 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I was just uncertain if it was necessary to leave it the connection open or not.

I personally think the swipe to delete, tap to open is a perfect solution for the inboxes, along with the menu option to check off and mass delete. Another suggestion is to have deleted mail disappear instantly rather then "marked for delete" and disappear when it refreshes. I think its more clear to users.

For an icon the only ideas i have come up with is a basic envelope (like most other mail icons) with the android logo on it, kind of like the the market icon. Or the android logos head with a mailman hat on him.

What does it take to incorporate an unread badge on the icon, that would be a plus.
    06-30-2010 08:21 AM
    I have a plan to update the rules for a 'per user basis', but it is not at the top of my list now. I have many people who want search and exchange integration...this has been my top priority for now.
    +1 and I have found in playing with K-9 that self signed certificates is the norm for company exchange servers. So some method of dealing with the "trust" issues those impose would be great.

I believe I could help with some beta testing. My IT guys are fairly open minded and are looking for a solution to mail search as well.

Alan
    06-30-2010 08:55 AM
    Couple of Maildroid questions:
    - When reading a message how do I go to the next or previous message?
    - Related: If I delete a message while reading it I want to go to the next/previous message. Can I do that?
    - Can I have multiple signatures for each account, set one of those as the default for that account and the ability to pick which one to use if I don;t want the default?
    1. You can't. I did not add that feature in yet.
    2. This was a design decision. If you look at gmail and some other mail servers you will see that when you delete a message you go back to the inbox.
    3. Coming in version 1.25 this week.
    06-30-2010 09:15 AM
578 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD