MailDroid vs K-9

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
re:

I have a plan to update the rules for a 'per user basis', but it is not at the top of my list now. I have many people who want search and exchange integration...this has been my top priority for now.

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Sweet mail app. I tried K9, but wasn't wow'd by it and didn't get all of my email. So far the MailDroid is the shizzle and I can send emails. The Dev is quick to answer questions too if you are having problems.

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I love MailDroid. I have been suggesting to anyone that came from BB because it is very close to BIS for android. Once this is out of beta, I think it will surpass k-9 as the got to email for android. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@erod, Thanks!

@g-money, Thanks as well, I know you have been a long-time user. Some cool features are coming in the next few weeks....hopefully I'll be out of beta soon!

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I just have a quick question, if i want to check my hotmail every 3 hours i have to have the connection open correct? the number of minutes set does not affect the connection just the duration of fetch? Am i correct in how this works?

The other suggestion i have is sometimes i go to click delete and it opens the mail instead. Is there any way we can toggle between delete and opening mails? for example you can select delete from the menu and then check boxes appear, if not selected then click on emails will do nothing but open by default. Maybe its just me i would like to see that as an option. Or another option could be a swipe will open a delete option like on the iphone mail app.

Any thought in to changing the icon? I like it but it reminds me of the creature in the trash compactor from star wars. :)

I would totally pay for this app.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Couple of Maildroid questions:
- When reading a message how do I go to the next or previous message?
- Related: If I delete a message while reading it I want to go to the next/previous message. Can I do that?
- Can I have multiple signatures for each account, set one of those as the default for that account and the ability to pick which one to use if I don;t want the default?

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
re:

I just have a quick question, if i want to check my hotmail every 3 hours i have to have the connection open correct? the number of minutes set does not affect the connection just the duration of fetch? Am i correct in how this works?

The other suggestion i have is sometimes i go to click delete and it opens the mail instead. Is there any way we can toggle between delete and opening mails? for example you can select delete from the menu and then check boxes appear, if not selected then click on emails will do nothing but open by default. Maybe its just me i would like to see that as an option. Or another option could be a swipe will open a delete option like on the iphone mail app.

Any thought in to changing the icon? I like it but it reminds me of the creature in the trash compactor from star wars. :)

I would totally pay for this app.

1. No, you do not need to leave the connection open. However, it will be a bit slower when you open your inbox if you keep the connection closed. The idea for this feature is for two reasons. One, some pop3 servers only allow one connection to the server and if you leave the connection open, you can't login from another location using Thunderbird or some other client (Hotmail is not a problem to keep open). Second, if you are capped at a network data and want the least amount of data sent, you can shut this off. The packet sent to the server is tiny, but if you want full control, you can have it.

2. I need to spend some time to tidy up the user interface, but I really would rather get all the features working.

3. No thoughts yet on what the icon should look like. I personally like it, but don't care either way. Many users have requested a more professional icon. I am open to suggestions.

fly4food84

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using K-9, which has an ugly icon as well, but I can't stand MailDroid's icon... kinda creepy.:p

Just a regular mail related icon, like a post office stamp, maybe a post office stamp of a robot or something. Make the icon better and I'll jump ship for mail droid. :)

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I was just uncertain if it was necessary to leave it the connection open or not.

I personally think the swipe to delete, tap to open is a perfect solution for the inboxes, along with the menu option to check off and mass delete. Another suggestion is to have deleted mail disappear instantly rather then "marked for delete" and disappear when it refreshes. I think its more clear to users.

For an icon the only ideas i have come up with is a basic envelope (like most other mail icons) with the android logo on it, kind of like the the market icon. Or the android logos head with a mailman hat on him.

What does it take to incorporate an unread badge on the icon, that would be a plus.

arw01

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a plan to update the rules for a 'per user basis', but it is not at the top of my list now. I have many people who want search and exchange integration...this has been my top priority for now.

+1 and I have found in playing with K-9 that self signed certificates is the norm for company exchange servers. So some method of dealing with the "trust" issues those impose would be great.

I believe I could help with some beta testing. My IT guys are fairly open minded and are looking for a solution to mail search as well.

Alan

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
re:

Couple of Maildroid questions:
- When reading a message how do I go to the next or previous message?
- Related: If I delete a message while reading it I want to go to the next/previous message. Can I do that?
- Can I have multiple signatures for each account, set one of those as the default for that account and the ability to pick which one to use if I don;t want the default?

1. You can't. I did not add that feature in yet.
2. This was a design decision. If you look at gmail and some other mail servers you will see that when you delete a message you go back to the inbox.
3. Coming in version 1.25 this week.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using K-9, which has an ugly icon as well, but I can't stand MailDroid's icon... kinda creepy.:p

Just a regular mail related icon, like a post office stamp, maybe a post office stamp of a robot or something. Make the icon better and I'll jump ship for mail droid. :)

Why does everyone knock icons :) The icon is the deciding factor in using one mail application over another? ;-)

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
+1 and I have found in playing with K-9 that self signed certificates is the norm for company exchange servers. So some method of dealing with the "trust" issues those impose would be great.

I believe I could help with some beta testing. My IT guys are fairly open minded and are looking for a solution to mail search as well.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I plan on starting though with webdav before possibly digging deeper into exchange. It seems Microsoft charges royalties for their ActiveSync, so that makes it more difficult to do anything other than webdav right now.

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way I can be notified when there are "Replied" and "Forwarded" flags that are added to Maildroid? Also, will these flags also sync up with your Outlook/Thunderbird?

Not sure how this is pulled off.

Mike

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Been using maildroid and still very much a big fan

However, i have been noticing lagginess while scrolling through my inbox reading the incoming mail headers. Are there any ways that I can reduce lag while scrolling through the headers?

To compare, if I scroll through gmail's list which has a very similar L&F, I can fly down the list...but in maildroid it does seem very sluggish

(using incredible)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt