MailDroid vs K-9

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I used Maildroid for a while but found it to be terribly cumbersome and slow with IMAP. I didn't use it for Pop. The latest version of K-9 rocks. It fixed all of the IMAP issues and works smoothly. I've deleted Maildroid and use K-9 exclusively. It is more powerful, faster and easier to use than any other mail program for Android.

Just so I know, what was "cumbersome". Appreciate the honest feedback. Also, curious what version you used as the older versions were much slower.

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded to 1.26. I am still running both K-9 and Maildroid for the time being on my Dinc. The speed is better but still has some lag both loading and scrolling through messages. K-9 has no lag. The addition of contact names while searching or selecting for address for new messages is a major fix for me. I was about to uninstall Maildroid because i couldn't set up groups by name. As a former Storm user I am much more comfortable with the Maildroid message formatting and file system but like the speed and ability to batch deletes in K-9. Guess I will have to keep running both for a while and see what happens when MailDroid is actually ready for primetime and has no ads.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@ballcoach

The lag is a fundamental difference of how MailDroid works vs k9. K9 is an offline client, while I am more of an online client. This is why you see lag when scrolling. Having said that, I plan on making some modifications to change this soon.

My current plan is to be out of beta by mid-August and also offer a pro version. Also, I plan to have a lot more features such as exchange and search support.

arw01

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah exchange support. That's what I need. Will you do search of your email also? How about search on server like WINMO can do?

fly4food84

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks maildroiddev, its great to see a proactive developer.

I'll wait until mid august, hopefully most of the bugs will be out by then and have a cool new icon! I also look forward to a pro version with no ads.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
maildroid is good. what it has over k-9 is the ability to work with numerous mail accounts with push capability. k-9 doesn't do well with hotmail and yahoo but maildroid does. still, maildroid needs some cosmetic changes. ability to change to "dark" theme so it's not so bright is one thing i liked about k-9. also, a "new mail" counter on each account is something nice, though not necessary. one thing i don't get though is that everytime i go into an account, it seems to redownload everything instead of keeping it on my phone. there are times when it would say "timed out" and not show any email even though just a few mins before it showed everything in the account.

also, with regards to "default account" i'm not sure how the program determines this. is it the first account to be added? does that mean it can't be changed to another account?

enilm

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
@ballcoach

The lag is a fundamental difference of how MailDroid works vs k9. K9 is an offline client, while I am more of an online client. This is why you see lag when scrolling. Having said that, I plan on making some modifications to change this soon.

My current plan is to be out of beta by mid-August and also offer a pro version. Also, I plan to have a lot more features such as exchange and search support.

Does this mean you are going to make it offline also? That would be great. It's a cool app but the lag is driving me a little crazy.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I notice some lag but it is not that bad overall. I expect it to lag as it pulls in older messages. I personally like that it does not suck up all my internal memory to store old messages. It could use some work for storing say the past day or so but I am sure they will work on that. Please don't store too much in the internal memory though.

One awesome feature is the ability to resize an html email. It is almost browser like. I get a lot of newsletters and could never do that in K-9!! I would like to report though that it still needs some work. Sometimes it does not pinch and zoom correctly and it sometimes it gets stuck. I have to fight it to get it to zoom again.

However I will have to keep using K-9 until this goes pay I guess. Sorry man, that two line ad at the bottom of my inbox just annoys me so bad, if it were smaller maybe…. i;)i

Keep up the great work! This will be the one to use!

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
What does the HTC Incredible have that the other apps don't?
the biggest one was the conversation view you can add your persons email to it and see just there emails..really nice and clean no digging around looking for the mystery email. if some has that feature ill buy it

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
maildroid is good. what it has over k-9 is the ability to work with numerous mail accounts with push capability. k-9 doesn't do well with hotmail and yahoo but maildroid does. still, maildroid needs some cosmetic changes. ability to change to "dark" theme so it's not so bright is one thing i liked about k-9. also, a "new mail" counter on each account is something nice, though not necessary. one thing i don't get though is that everytime i go into an account, it seems to redownload everything instead of keeping it on my phone. there are times when it would say "timed out" and not show any email even though just a few mins before it showed everything in the account.

also, with regards to "default account" i'm not sure how the program determines this. is it the first account to be added? does that mean it can't be changed to another account?

Thanks for the feedback. A dark theme is coming in the next version. The version is an online model and not offline like k9, although this will be changing. There is no official way to set a default account yet, but you can choose a default account to be set from clicking on a contact.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I notice some lag but it is not that bad overall. I expect it to lag as it pulls in older messages. I personally like that it does not suck up all my internal memory to store old messages. It could use some work for storing say the past day or so but I am sure you will work on that. Please don't store too much in the internal memory though.

One awesome feature is the ability to resize an html email. It is almost browser like. I get a lot of newsletters and could never do that in K-9!! I would like to report though that it still needs some work. Sometimes it does not pinch and zoom correctly and it sometimes it gets stuck. I have to fight it to get it to zoom again.

However I will have to keep using K-9 until this goes pay I guess. Sorry man, that two line ad at the bottom of my inbox just annoys me so bad, if it were smaller maybe?. i;)i

Keep up the great work! This will be the one to use!

Thanks. A paid version will be available in August.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. A paid version will be available in August.

The problem is I use my Email in front of people I work with sometimes and seeing "Sup Dawg", "Guy Stuff" and pink "Inspire" ads kind of defeats the professional look. It would not be as bad if the ads were more of a professional nature.

I will just have to keep using K-9, at least when I am at work.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@paladin

I understand. One thing to note is that at the beginning of the quarter they have these "filler" ads. As the month goes on, the ads become more professional (same thing happened at the beginning of the second quarter). Having said that, a paid version is still coming :)

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
@paladin

I understand. One thing to note is that at the beginning of the quarter they have these "filler" ads. As the month goes on, the ads become more professional (same thing happened at the beginning of the second quarter). Having said that, a paid version is still coming :)

Its cool man. I just wanted to explain, and had an actual reason, why I am being such a pain about it. i:)i

Please don't forget my Archive button for Gmail. i:Di

Last edited:

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am trying very hard to adopt Maildroid full time as I really like the overall look and feel plus the support is terrific. I can even live with the ads until the paid version comes out. What I am having a tough time with is he ability to bulk select and delete messages. Am I missing something? I often have to bulk email over 100 addresses from a management program for a non-profit youth football league. As many as 8-10% of the addresses are bad or like today I get a ridiculous number of "Out of Office" replies. I use gMail. While I realize no client could begin to filter these messages effectively I do need some capability to bulk delete. The problem is compounded as once I get them into the "Trash" I need to delete them all over again. An "empty trash" command would certainly make life easier. Am I missing anything? Is there a way to at least clear the Trash without having to select each message manually?

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I am trying very hard to adopt Maildroid full time as I really like the overall look and feel plus the support is terrific. I can even live with the ads until the paid version comes out. What I am having a tough time with is he ability to bulk select and delete messages. Am I missing something? I often have to bulk email over 100 addresses from a management program for a non-profit youth football league. As many as 8-10% of the addresses are bad or like today I get a ridiculous number of "Out of Office" replies. I use gMail. While I realize no client could begin to filter these messages effectively I do need some capability to bulk delete. The problem is compounded as once I get them into the "Trash" I need to delete them all over again. An "empty trash" command would certainly make life easier. Am I missing anything? Is there a way to at least clear the Trash without having to select each message manually?

When you set a trash folder in your account preferences for gmail, all items you delete will go directly into the trash folder. However, if you don't set a trash folder, a delete will be a permanent delete (it will skip the trash). Is this what you were looking for? I guess I can work on an option to have a permanent delete option even if you have a set folder. Right now though, you would have to set your trash folder to nothing.

Email me though, maybe it is something else that we can take offline.