MailDroid vs K-9

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
On my IMAP accounts in Maildroid the folder list is in a seemingly random order. Can the list be put in alphabetical order like K9?

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
On my IMAP accounts in Maildroid the folder list is in a seemingly random order. Can the list be put in alphabetical order like K9?

I just read it from the server. I can do this, and to be honest I am going to redo my implementation as it is "dumb" reading from the server. So I'll add the option for this. Thanks for this comment.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Okay something to add to your list, sorry. When replying can you put the cursor in the message area by default? As it is now it puts it into the CC area etc.... Kind of a pain.

BTW I discovered a way around the ads, I am just not upgrading! I now see the new version available display instead of the ads. I would rather see that instead of chick things... Don't you dare change that!! i:Di

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay something to add to your list, sorry. When replying can you put the cursor in the message area by default? As it is now it puts it into the CC area etc.... Kind of a pain.

BTW I discovered a way around the ads, I am just not upgrading! I now see the new version available display instead of the ads. I would rather see that instead of chick things... Don't you dare change that!! i:Di

Yea, I know about that. I fixed it and then I broke it again before I released 1.28 ;-) It will be fixed by 1.30.

Ha! I believe I should be showing this until the ads are normal again and not the "filler" ads that you have been seeing.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
is here a plan to receive the message when i start the app?
And also the setting per mailbox?
btw:great app

I am unsure what you mean by this "receive message when I start the app". Settings per account exist now, but perhaps there is a specific setting you can't find or I am missing?

7samurai

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
i have the following settings: Close connection and never check mail
So i want only check mails for all my accounts, if i click on the app on my desktop. this is because i dont have a big traffic free on my phone.

Now it starts, and show a list of my accounts, but dont check the new mails for my accounts.

It checks only when i klick on one account.

Hope this explain my needs. :)

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
i have the following settings: Close connection and never check mail
So i want only check mails for all my accounts, if i click on the app on my desktop. this is because i dont have a big traffic free on my phone.

Now it starts, and show a list of my accounts, but dont check the new mails for my accounts.

It checks only when i klick on one account.

Hope this explain my needs. :)

OK, now I understand.

Correct, since you have basically set it to 'check manually' that is the only way. I guess, you are looking for an additional setting in Connection Management to check for new mail when opening MailDroid even though you told it not to check periodically. Let me see what I can do.

7samurai

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
OK, now I understand.

Correct, since you have basically set it to 'check manually' that is the only way. I guess, you are looking for an additional setting in Connection Management to check for new mail when opening MailDroid even though you told it not to check periodically. Let me see what I can do.
Nice,lookin forward for an update..

Baltimore

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just read the whole 19 pages, and this is a great app! maildroiddev great thing for being so active. I have a request: could you add repeating pattern option to sound, vibration (this is the one I need), and led notifications. So when receiving an email, it would repeat vibrating every XX minutes till you access the app. Something like the Missed Call app from the market, but only for this app/emails rather than only for missed sms and call.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I just read the whole 19 pages, and this is a great app! maildroiddev great thing for being so active. I have a request: could you add repeating pattern option to sound, vibration (this is the one I need), and led notifications. So when receiving an email, it would repeat vibrating every XX minutes till you access the app. Something like the Missed Call app from the market, but only for this app/emails rather than only for missed sms and call.

Yea, I can do this and add it to the rules section. I don't know if I can sneak it into version 1.30, but will try for a version after that.

Baltimore

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I can do this and add it to the rules section. I don't know if I can sneak it into version 1.30, but will try for a version after that.

Awesome! This would be really great for people without a phone with notification led (like galaxy s) when having your phone on your desk or something, but also handy for all phones when you have it in your pocket and you miss the first notification. I will be eagerly waiting for version 1.30 or the one after that.

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You are all very welcome. I really only frequent this forum and I am making changes based off what I read here...so keep the feedback and comments coming!

ok Mr. Dev as you know i emailed you earlier that i was running some tests for maildroid vs k9.

my tests solely tested the IMAP idle push capability of both clients for yahoo and gmail. i ran a total of 10 emails to see response rate, frequency, consistency, CPU usage, memory usage, and interface.

Maildroid vs k9
1. i hate the ads, they need to go. i understand an ad free version is coming but the fact that they are integrated within personal information is not really my style.
2. it responds to IMAP idle push for yahoo AND gmail consistently between 10 sec to 1 min.
3. using Systemlite panel, MD uses more memory than k9 (43 vs 36 M)
4. MD cpu usage is 1 min 51 sec in 54 mins (3.2%) vs k9 1 min 25 sec in 49 min (2.9%)
5. MD is BETTER at getting yahoo mail than k9, which takes a little longer and sometimes doesnt even put it in the right folder.
6. MD interface is good. i like the simplistic view although some nice options for manipulation would be nice.
7. it would be nice to be able to cut and paste from the email itself as well as a good handling for attachments.
8. overall, getting more frequent emails results in MD using less CPU compared to k9 (although still using more mem, but thats irrelevant)

so yea thats it. please comment i want to hear your feedback (and the Dev's) so my final conclusion is
I am sold MD > k9 in the above conditions. i want to make this thing better so it will be even more useful in the final version. oh wait let me rephrase that....Maildroid BETA is BETTER than k9 :) thank you!!

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You are all very welcome. I really only frequent this forum and I am making changes based off what I read here...so keep the feedback and comments coming!

ok Mr. Dev as you know i emailed you earlier that i was running some tests for maildroid vs k9.

my experiments solely tested the IMAP idle push capability of both clients for yahoo and gmail. i ran a total of 10 emails to see response rate, frequency, consistency, CPU usage, memory usage, and of course battery usage (I have the EVO what do you want)

Maildroid vs k9
1. i hate the ads, they need to go. i understand an ad free version is coming but the fact that they are integrated within personal information is not really my style.
2. it responds to IMAP idle push for yahoo AND gmail consistently between 10 sec to 1 min.
3. using Systemlite panel, MD uses more memory than k9 (43 vs 36 M) this is resulting for them being active for 50 minutes.
4. MD cpu usage is 1 min 51 sec in 54 mins (3.2%) vs k9 1 min 25 sec in 51 min (2.9%)
5. MD is BETTER at getting yahoo mail than k9, which takes a little longer and sometimes doesnt even put it in the right folder.
6. MD interface is good. i like the simplistic view although some options for manipulation would be nice.
7. it would be nice to be able to cut and paste from the email itself as well as a good handling for attachments.
8. overall, getting more frequent emails results in MD using less CPU compared to k9 (although still using more mem, but becomes irrelevant )
9. it would be useful to have "folders" so that you can clean your trash/spam etc...i dont know what "flagged for deletion" means.

so yea thats it. please comment i want to hear your feedback (and the Dev's) so my final conclusion is
I am sold MD > k9 in the above conditions. i want to make this thing better so it will be even more useful in the final version. oh wait let me rephrase that....Maildroid BETA is BETTER than k9 :) thank you!!

-Ty

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

my experiments solely tested the IMAP idle push capability of both clients for yahoo and gmail. i ran a total of 10 emails to see response rate, frequency, consistency, CPU usage, memory usage, and of course battery usage (I have the EVO what do you want)

Maildroid vs k9
3. using Systemlite panel, MD uses more memory than k9 (43 vs 36 M) this is resulting for them being active for 50 minutes.
4. MD cpu usage is 1 min 51 sec in 54 mins (3.2%) vs k9 1 min 25 sec in 51 min (2.9%)
6. MD interface is good. i like the simplistic view although some options for manipulation would be nice.
8. overall, getting more frequent emails results in MD using less CPU compared to k9 (although still using more mem, but becomes irrelevant )
9. it would be useful to have "folders" so that you can clean your trash/spam etc...i dont know what "flagged for deletion" means.

-Ty

Good info to have. I agree about the ads, but I also understand the dev needs to make money, too, until he's (or she) is satisfied enough with the app to offer a paid version. I for one think that a paid and an ad supported version should be available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira