MailDroid vs K-9

ggh514

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
If you click on the wav file (assuming you have a supported wav player) it should open up. I know that on some HTC phones (specifically the Incredible) this still won't open up.

Loading is going to have a complete overhaul around version 1.50. So for now, IMAP has no offline mode and POP3 has a crude offline mode system. In the overhaul, all of this will change...just need some time ;-)

I have a supported player on the Droid X and my emails play on the email client that came with the phone and k-9 but do not play on Maildroid. On another email for a jpg file it says no application for this file but again on the regular email client and k-9 it opens. Is it an issue with Droid X?

ggh514

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
When do you expect 1.5 and what other improvements will there be?

Other than the attachment issue and IMAP loading issue it is a great app. As an attorney I get many attachments. It seems like the PDF opens and now the .Wav opens could it be it was not loaded yet or there was an issue before with the server? The .jpg picture files do not open. Thanks for that quick reply

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would be for the local option. But I don't use email for business so it doesn't really matter as long as I can read emails sent to me.

I'm also ok with it having to load in real time. I would like the option of local storage on a per message basis, though, in case there are any that I need to keep copies of. I would prefer not to use my phone storage for emails if I don't have to.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Other than the attachment issue and IMAP loading issue it is a great app. As an attorney I get many attachments. It seems like the PDF opens and now the .Wav opens could it be it was not loaded yet or there was an issue before with the server? The .jpg picture files do not open. Thanks for that quick reply

It very well could be. IMAP loading will be improved as I said in an earlier thread and I know some bugs probably exist with attachment. I'll take a look at this.

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks maildroiddev for developing this app!

I was a long time BB user and I felt alittle bit like a fish out of water with email. I love my new DX but the email on androids is not that good.

I'm glad I found your app. Please continue the progress so that I can help you out and pay for it. ;-)

BTW, BlackBerry gives you the option to delete messages from both locations (handset & desktop) or you could tell it to let the desktop win, which means that anything deleted on the handset effects the handset only. I use imap and prefer to handle stuff from my handset. If I want to keep something for later I usually move it to the followup folder.

rainbowbrite812

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
BTW, BlackBerry gives you the option to delete messages from both locations (handset & desktop) or you could tell it to let the desktop win, which means that anything deleted on the handset effects the handset only. I use imap and prefer to handle stuff from my handset. If I want to keep something for later I usually move it to the followup folder.

this is what i'm looking for in a mail app...i need the delete from both phone & server AND delete from just phone option when i delete emails. that's the only thing that keeps making me return the androids i've tried (droid & inc)

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
this is what i'm looking for in a mail app...i need the delete from both phone & server AND delete from just phone option when i delete emails. that's the only thing that keeps making me return the androids i've tried (droid & inc)

Would be nice to have a option box popup asking you if you would like to delete from phone or delete from both locations.

I have it set to delete from the server & my phone, of course that's because I'm setup using imap. I seldom check email form my desktop/laptop.

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I can't setup my email with maildroid. For example: my email is nick@wennecorp.com it is a gmail based email. I have enabled IMAP. I login with imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com with security on both. However, I keep getting operation timed out and when I uncheck the 2 security boxes I get socket not connected.

ggh514

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Adding to Contacts

I am loving how quickly I get the emails to my device almost the instant it apears in my inbox. I hope you can work out the IMAP having to load each time and to be able to go right into mailbox when there is only one account.

MY QUESTion is whether when I receive an email from someone who is not a contact whether there is a away to add them to my contacts. As of now it does not seem like I can click on the email address etc.

Thanks for all of your help to the Android community.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I can't setup my email with maildroid. For example: my email is nick@wennecorp.com it is a gmail based email. I have enabled IMAP. I login with imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com with security on both. However, I keep getting operation timed out and when I uncheck the 2 security boxes I get socket not connected.

Nick, we are talking via email, so hopefully we can solve this.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@everyone

I am working hard to change many things in the next version. I would expect version 1.35 to have very few new features, but instead have many changes internally. The main changes will 'hopefully' be:

--Major performance increase
--Offline for IMAP and I will be re-working offlline for POP3
*--Delete from phone and/or delete from server

*Delete and sync is very tricky. I hopefully will find a good solution to do this.

Last edited:

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
So I have debated this. Perhaps some people on the forum will chime in. I can do this one of three ways:

1. Locally. If you do something on the device like forward or reply, it will show on the device only (I think bberry is like this).

2. Sync. If your server supports the flag (most IMAP servers and no pop servers) I can sync if you reply or forward with your imap server. So if you reply on a desktop, I can sync and show a reply on the phone. This gets difficult because not everyone supports it.

3. Sync+Local. This will be a combination of both and would be technically a challenge, but I guess could be done.

I was leaning towards the first option and I think BBerry also just does a local and not a sync with the server. If this is acceptable, I think this can be easily done.

I would vote for Option #2, I had a BB for years and I never saw Reply or Forward flags on my BB. Then again I was only BIS, not BES. K-9 sync's Reply flags well, with their Polling, however they haven't broken out Forward flags yet (weird).

M

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Reading everything about MailDroid is making me wish my DroidX was here now! FWIW, I vote for delete on phone, but not server. I use my phone as a mobile/temporary email access point on my BB S1. I use it until I can get to my laptop.

Of course, a WAY COOL option would be to create a calendar entry from an email... :)

BTW, you might want to find out (a poll?) how many different email accounts people have and what type they are (pop3 or IMAP (what versions, gmail, etc.)).

I use all of my email addresses as pop3. Some are IMAP capable, but I don't use them that way.

Scott

bling300c

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I want complete syncing...all flags, notifications of replies, forwards, importance, flags (stars in gmail), and syncing of emails so the mailboxes match always.

Also, MD used to have new mail notification in the status bar for each account. I have 5 email addresses and i get new mail on several at one time. the status bar tells me i have new mail but when i drag it down and open mail from one account the notification disappears even though i have new mail in other accounts. A recent update changed this. The notification was always there until each account with new mail was checked. I would like to see this come back.

thanks for you work.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
ok. I am trying K9 and want to try maildroid to compare I too came from BB and loved push BIS. How do i turn off my stock droid x mail? Should I delete the accounts or what ? I don't want 2 or 3 programs polling my mail all day sucking the battery down. Does maildroid push your email? help

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
ok. I am trying K9 and want to try maildroid to compare I too came from BB and loved push BIS. How do i turn off my stock droid x mail? Should I delete the accounts or what ? I don't want 2 or 3 programs polling my mail all day sucking the battery down. Does maildroid push your email? help

Just go into the stock mail app and turn all of your notifications off.

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
where is that ? I just see my accounts and wondering if I delete my gmail and att account if I will lose the syncing with my calendars etc.

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
@everyone

I am working hard to change many things in the next version. I would expect version 1.35 to have very few new features, but instead have many changes internally. The main changes will 'hopefully' be:

--Major performance increase
--Offline for IMAP and I will be re-working offlline for POP3
*--Delete from phone and/or delete from server

*Delete and sync is very tricky. I hopefully will find a good solution to do this.

I just downloaded maildroid and got my email accounts set up...seems great so far. The default email client leaves a lot to be desired. Looking forward to a potential performance increase, any timetable for the update?

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

Just go into the stock mail app and turn all of your notifications off.

where is that ? I just see my accounts and wondering if I delete my gmail and att account if I will lose the syncing with my calendars etc.

I don't have a Droid X, but I'd imagine the stock Mail app is quite similar, if not the same as what is on my Evo.

Mail App > Menu > More > Settings > Notification Settings

You should see 3 notification options with a check box next to them. Uncheck whichever ones are active.