MailDroid vs K-9

pharmnatr

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I just dl'd maildroid. Since I have only one email account, is there a setting so my account automatically opens without me having to click on the account once I open up MD

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Reading everything about MailDroid is making me wish my DroidX was here now! FWIW, I vote for delete on phone, but not server. I use my phone as a mobile/temporary email access point on my BB S1. I use it until I can get to my laptop.

Of course, a WAY COOL option would be to create a calendar entry from an email... :)

BTW, you might want to find out (a poll?) how many different email accounts people have and what type they are (pop3 or IMAP (what versions, gmail, etc.)).

I use all of my email addresses as pop3. Some are IMAP capable, but I don't use them that way.

Scott

Would be interesting to know. I will be adding a calendar hook for google eventually.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I want complete syncing...all flags, notifications of replies, forwards, importance, flags (stars in gmail), and syncing of emails so the mailboxes match always.

Also, MD used to have new mail notification in the status bar for each account. I have 5 email addresses and i get new mail on several at one time. the status bar tells me i have new mail but when i drag it down and open mail from one account the notification disappears even though i have new mail in other accounts. A recent update changed this. The notification was always there until each account with new mail was checked. I would like to see this come back.

thanks for you work.
Everything is matched except for the flags of forward and reply. I'll take a look as this is probably a bug.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded maildroid and got my email accounts set up...seems great so far. The default email client leaves a lot to be desired. Looking forward to a potential performance increase, any timetable for the update?

Current plan is around 2 weeks. It is a major change to the "guts" of the system. So I also need time to test it as well as code it.

Jubz

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Just read 33 pages of this thread to find out more about MailDroid v K-9, and I am highly impressed with @maildroiddev and the awesome support and active dev work; my hats off to you. I'll definitely be purchasing the pro version to support all of the great work. I am about to convert from my crackberry/BIS to a DroidX, which email is a critical app to handle multiple POP3 accounts.

My desktop is main email client (Outlook), which pulls emails off of the various POP3 account servers. I would love the option to automatically Bcc: myself from MailDroid so I can pull my mobile responses onto my desktop client to keep track of various email threads/my responses.

Question/wish list:
Does MailDroid have an option to automatically prefill in Bcc: for mail-to-self per POP3 email account? If not, this is a much welcomed option I'd love to have. I believe K-9 Mail has this feature.

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I like maildroid, but have some questions:

1. It doesn't seem to delete mail from servere. Is that normal? That is something I would like.

2. Can you move email into labels? If so how?

And that's all I can thing of so far.

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just read 33 pages of this thread to find out more about MailDroid v K-9, and I am highly impressed with @maildroiddev and the awesome support and active dev work; my hats off to you. I'll definitely be purchasing the pro version to support all of the great work. I am about to convert from my crackberry/BIS to a DroidX, which email is a critical app to handle multiple POP3 accounts.

My desktop is main email client (Outlook), which pulls emails off of the various POP3 account servers. I would love the option to automatically Bcc: myself from MailDroid so I can pull my mobile responses onto my desktop client to keep track of various email threads/my responses.

Question/wish list:
Does MailDroid have an option to automatically prefill in Bcc: for mail-to-self per POP3 email account? If not, this is a much welcomed option I'd love to have. I believe K-9 Mail has this feature.

yes K-9 Mail has the feature. I stopped using Maildroid because the Yahoo IMAP idle doesnt seem to be working anymore...I switched back to K-9 just because it has many more features that Maildroid doesnt. Unless MD plays at level of K-9, its not worth the effort.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I can not speak for Maildroid, because I have only had the Droid X for a few weeks and say K-9 first, so I tried that.

K-9 does offer bcc to email address, which I absolutely love. This way, whenever I send an email from handheld, I will get it on my desktop as well. I also like that K-9 as option to delete mail from server, however, I have found that it takes an extra step for me to actually delete from server (for example, if I hit delete on phone, it goes to trash. I then have to go to trash and delete from that folder in order for it to delete from server).

If Maildroid does both of these, I am highly considering checking it out as well.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Question/wish list:

Thanks. There is already a way to CC or BCC an account by default each time you send an email. I did not do self-bcc as I figured that locks you down to one account and instead made a way to CC or BCC any number of accounts (you can have mail1;mail2;mail3 etc.)

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I like maildroid, but have some questions:

1. It doesn't seem to delete mail from servere. Is that normal? That is something I would like.

2. Can you move email into labels? If so how?

And that's all I can thing of so far.

1. You will have to give me more details as it always deletes from server (pop3 or imap). The biggest feature requested is to have an option to 'not' delete from server and just phone as right now I always will sync a delete.

2. Yes. In your inbox, click menu and you will see an option to Move to Folders. I use the general term folders, instead of the gmail specific term labels. They are the same idea...

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
yes K-9 Mail has the feature. I stopped using Maildroid because the Yahoo IMAP idle doesnt seem to be working anymore...I switched back to K-9 just because it has many more features that Maildroid doesnt. Unless MD plays at level of K-9, its not worth the effort.

K-9 is a great product. You need to use what works well for you. Many people can't get yahoo to work on k-9 but can get it to work on MD.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I can not speak for Maildroid, because I have only had the Droid X for a few weeks and say K-9 first, so I tried that.

K-9 does offer bcc to email address, which I absolutely love. This way, whenever I send an email from handheld, I will get it on my desktop as well. I also like that K-9 as option to delete mail from server, however, I have found that it takes an extra step for me to actually delete from server (for example, if I hit delete on phone, it goes to trash. I then have to go to trash and delete from that folder in order for it to delete from server).

If Maildroid does both of these, I am highly considering checking it out as well.

Delete from phone only is coming in the next version. As stated before, the BCC option is already there.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
It seems that many people don't know all of the features of MailDroid. Here is a short list that does not include the basic functions (compose, read, unread, flag, delete) as well as I am sure I missed some things myself :)

Accounts Screen Menu:
1. Address Groups: Allows you to create a group of emails and when composing just add that group name and not have to type out multiple email addresses each time.
2. Notification Channels: Allows for one click access to quickly change sound, vibration, led, and/or icon being shown for MailDroid
3. Long press to nickname account, edit settings, or delete an account

Account Screen Menu --> Preferences:
1. Color Theme: Dark/Light
2. List Item Font Size: Control font size of the lists
3. Alternating row color: Only available in the light theme
4. Default Signature: For all accounts
5. Auto-Save drafts: Will autosave for you in case something happens while typing
6. Confirm Delete: Are you sure you want to delete
7. Show CC/BCC: Always show cc/bcc when composing an email
8. Show Web Images: Always shows web images when viewing an email
9. Offline Cache: Currently only for pop3. Location can be phone or SD
10. Max Cache Size: Size of cache allowed in MB
11. Notification Sound: Change default sound
12. LED Color: Change default LED color
13. Rules: * See below
14. Prevent Sleep Mode: Read description
15. Compact Database

Rules:
Ability to create a custom rule per account or all accounts. You can control led color, sound, vibrate, or icon. You can change this settings based on time of day as well as day(s). You also can add multiple rules and prioritize them.

Menu within your inbox:
1. Choose a folder: Allows you to move email between folders
2. Account Preferences: * See below

Account Preferences (settings differ slightly for imap and pop3):
1. Your Name: Outgoing mail name
2. Account Nickname: For accounts screen list
3. Folder for Deleted Mail: Define trash location
4. Copy Sent Mail: Define sent mail folder
5. Signature: Signature per account
6. Auto CC: Account(s) to auto cc
7. Auto BCC: Account(s) to auto bcc
8. Advanced Connection Management: * see below
9. Long press an email to do many of the above functions

Advanced Connection Management:
1. Control Push (on/off)
2. Control Pull Interval
3. Never check mail option

Menu when reading an email:
1. Save on SDCard: Export an email to .eml format
2. Toggle selection mode: For cut and paste
3. Show Images: If you hid images, here you can show them for an html email

Compose Menu:
1. Attach File
2. Add Reply-To: Send email from one account but user will reply to another account

Choose a folder menu:
1. Add folder: This is currently only for IMAP
2. Long press to rename/delete folder
3. Long press to add a subfolder

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
...and to add onto my last post, here is what I am working on now (not in any specific order):

1. Delete from phone only option
2. Combined inbox
3. Search
4. Sort
5. Filter

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Very happy to hear... I can't wait to get the update.... For me the combined inbox and delete function is going to be a BIG hit...!

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
1. You will have to give me more details as it always deletes from server (pop3 or imap). The biggest feature requested is to have an option to 'not' delete from server and just phone as right now I always will sync a delete.

2. Yes. In your inbox, click menu and you will see an option to Move to Folders. I use the general term folders, instead of the gmail specific term labels. They are the same idea...

After reading your later post and playing some more, I found the problem...it's me!!!

Things are working good. Just need to learn more about it.

I agree having the option to delete from device only or device and server would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, my account is imap.

ggh514

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
What about IMAP loading

...and to add onto my last post, here is what I am working on now (not in any specific order):

1. Delete from phone only option
2. Combined inbox
3. Search
4. Sort
5. Filter

Are you working on the loading feature for imap so it stays on my phone and does not have to load up each time along with not having to choose an account when you only have one (I believe you mentioned these in previous threads)> add those along with the other updates and I will be a very happy camper. already love the app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21