MailDroid vs K-9

nightranger

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
As LDubs said, they should open without an issue. If the pdf is corrupt, that is another story. Does this happen on every pdf or only on some? Is it just pdfs? The error that you saw, I would also get if the pdf file is corrupted. Also, what device do you have?

It happens with every PDF. Other attachments open just fine. I am running an incredible on stock 2.1. All of these PDFs open with the stock mail program. Any ideas?:confused:

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@Everyone

So where are we now with MailDroid? Well, MD is undergoing some massive internal changes and I appreciate the people who have offered to test (note to those users, except something tomorrow evening). What is changing and what to expect? Well, I will give more features to you as we get closer to the release day (hopefully next Sunday or Monday). For now, here are features that should be there:

1. Delete from phone option (yes, finally)
2. Sort and Filter (this 'probably' will happen)
3. Performance improvements (technically not a feature)
4. Secondary sleep mode options (ie. ability to wake up)
5. Something else...possibly will be released in an Alpha stage, but let's see how far I get

I'll keep you all updated.

ggh514

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Development

@Everyone

So where are we now with MailDroid? Well, MD is undergoing some massive internal changes and I appreciate the people who have offered to test (note to those users, except something tomorrow evening). What is changing and what to expect? Well, I will give more features to you as we get closer to the release day (hopefully next Sunday or Monday). For now, here are features that should be there:

1. Delete from phone option (yes, finally)
2. Sort and Filter (this 'probably' will happen)
3. Performance improvements (technically not a feature)
4. Secondary sleep mode options (ie. ability to wake up)
5. Something else...possibly will be released in an Alpha stage, but let's see how far I get

I'll keep you all updated.

Are IMAP headers going to be saved to the device?

jonnyq

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Noob here, but really liking the MD app. The mail app that came with Droid1 sucked big time. MD is so much better. Simple suggestion if you can manage is instead of having the asterisk next to the account which has new mail, can you actually put the number of new messages there instead?

And, I have to admit, I don't dig the icon. The ones the other poster was working on seemed pretty cool. Hopefully, you decide to go with a simpler looking icon soon.

Keep up the good work!

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
help with K-9

Ok, I have been switching back and forth with maildroid and K-9. I am using K-9 right now because I love the all in one dump for mail with all he accounts. I have an issue I didn't have the first time around. I keep getting a high number count of unread emails in the notification bar. I see that K-9 keeps totaling all my folders in Gmail. How do I stop this? I just want new incoming totals for the notification bar. Also how do I change the polling time for both my att account and gmail account . Can't find them. I also change the account color and don't see any differences. i thought account color was for the font text or is this just for folders? Is there away to change the led color for each account?

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just got my X in the mail yesterday and have been playing with MailDroid a bit and I can definitely see the potential.

I use mail on my phone primarily to keep tabs on any email that comes in while I am away from my laptop. I could change this with a phone that I can actually type fairly well with, but for now I just need something that will download the emails during the day (without deleting them from the server so my laptop can get them later) and can delete them on the phone without deleting them on the server. AND occasionally reply to those that need quick replies.

Any help in setting this up using MailDroid would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, yeah, is there any way to get the Moto Mail widget to show new MailDroid emails?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott

xxxspank

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Save email to phone

OK, so I read almost all the pages on this thing.

Q:
1. Why don't my e-mails stay saved on my phone (Galaxy S), I thought this was suppose to be a feature ?

Connection Management Q:
There are 2 options-
1.Stay connected for performance and immediate notifications? (What does this thing do)- * I noticed it kills my battery life.

2.Close connection when I exit mailbox? (Does this mean i wont get e-mails when my phone is in "Standby"?)

I came from a BB and I use my phone for work emails (All the time), many times I am working and my computer is on in the office, however I step away all the time too, this is why I like to save email on my phone, sometimes I would like to reply.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Noob here, but really liking the MD app. The mail app that came with Droid1 sucked big time. MD is so much better. Simple suggestion if you can manage is instead of having the asterisk next to the account which has new mail, can you actually put the number of new messages there instead?

And, I have to admit, I don't dig the icon. The ones the other poster was working on seemed pretty cool. Hopefully, you decide to go with a simpler looking icon soon.

Keep up the good work!

The count of emails is technically a bit challenging. If you have an IMAP account, it is easy. POP3, makes it difficult as it does not support a count of any form. There are some tricks to do it though, but they are never accurate. I have some ideas, but I want to make sure they really work before implementing a half solution.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I just got my X in the mail yesterday and have been playing with MailDroid a bit and I can definitely see the potential.

I use mail on my phone primarily to keep tabs on any email that comes in while I am away from my laptop. I could change this with a phone that I can actually type fairly well with, but for now I just need something that will download the emails during the day (without deleting them from the server so my laptop can get them later) and can delete them on the phone without deleting them on the server. AND occasionally reply to those that need quick replies.

Any help in setting this up using MailDroid would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, yeah, is there any way to get the Moto Mail widget to show new MailDroid emails?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott

Delete from phone is coming in the next version. As far as widgets go, I will probably work with the Pure widget team at the end of this month. I will also take a look at moto mail widget.

jonnyq

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The count of emails is technically a bit challenging. If you have an IMAP account, it is easy. POP3, makes it difficult as it does not support a count of any form. There are some tricks to do it though, but they are never accurate. I have some ideas, but I want to make sure they really work before implementing a half solution.

The stock android email client is able to do new message count, with both POP and Hotmail. That was pretty much all that worked with that app. Not sure if looking at that app would help you figure it out. It would be nice to have, but I'm keeping MD regardless.

Any thoughts on the icon, perhaps having user selectable icons?

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I read almost all the pages on this thing.

Q:
1. Why don't my e-mails stay saved on my phone (Galaxy S), I thought this was suppose to be a feature ?

Connection Management Q:
There are 2 options-
1.Stay connected for performance and immediate notifications? (What does this thing do)- * I noticed it kills my battery life.

2.Close connection when I exit mailbox? (Does this mean i wont get e-mails when my phone is in "Standby"?)

I came from a BB and I use my phone for work emails (All the time), many times I am working and my computer is on in the office, however I step away all the time too, this is why I like to save email on my phone, sometimes I would like to reply.

1. This is a feature that is coming in the next version and is not available yet

Connection Management: I will give a quick answer, but take a look at the help file

1. Do you have IMAP or POP3 set up? If IMAP, then this is required for push, if pop3, it is not required but will speed up the opening of your mailbox
2. No, again the help file explain it that it will just not be as fast and a new connection must be made to open mail

You mentioned it "kills your battery'. How did you figure this out? What tests did you run? Did you use a tool? What are the stats?

The leave connection open does nothing more then send a packet to the server to say "I am here". There is no way that this settings can kill your battery.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The stock android email client is able to do new message count, with both POP and Hotmail. That was pretty much all that worked with that app. Not sure if looking at that app would help you figure it out. It would be nice to have, but I'm keeping MD regardless.

Any thoughts on the icon, perhaps having user selectable icons?

It is technically impossible to do an accurate count that is sync'd with your real hotmail account or pop3 account (maybe I was not clear). The stock client downloads all mail as new and then as you read it, will show a read/unread. This is very easy to do. I meant to actually sync with your pop3 server.

bikehere

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Been using MD for about a day and pretty happy with it so far. Sounds like you have some updates coming in the next week or so. Couple of UI requests:

-Provide (or change) the account name size to a larger font independent to the font size within the mail box
-Make the star indicating new mail and different color so that it stands out or provide a unread mail count (sounds like you are thinking about the latter)
-Make the checkboxes within the mailbox smaller

Just some thoughts - pick and choose the ones you like :)

One other thing - I received a photo embedded in an e-mail (taken from an iPhone). In the InBox I see the mail message with an attachment, but when I go the mail message itself I don't see anything...on in mail picture or even an attachment. Does it get automatically downloaded? If so, where?

Thanks in advance.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I see that the Froyo gmail app now has arrow buttons to go to the next/previous message. I'd like to see this in MD as well.

xxxspank

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
1. This is a feature that is coming in the next version and is not available yet

Connection Management: I will give a quick answer, but take a look at the help file

1. Do you have IMAP or POP3 set up? If IMAP, then this is required for push, if pop3, it is not required but will speed up the opening of your mailbox
2. No, again the help file explain it that it will just not be as fast and a new connection must be made to open mail

You mentioned it "kills your battery'. How did you figure this out? What tests did you run? Did you use a tool? What are the stats?

The leave connection open does nothing more then send a packet to the server to say "I am here". There is no way that this settings can kill your battery.

The battery issue I noticed by changing this particular setting. I have it set to (Close connection when I exit mailbox) at the moment and my battery life is back to normal again. Is that weird ?

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Been using MD for about a day and pretty happy with it so far. Sounds like you have some updates coming in the next week or so. Couple of UI requests:

-Provide (or change) the account name size to a larger font independent to the font size within the mail box
-Make the star indicating new mail and different color so that it stands out or provide a unread mail count (sounds like you are thinking about the latter)
-Make the checkboxes within the mailbox smaller

Just some thoughts - pick and choose the ones you like :)

One other thing - I received a photo embedded in an e-mail (taken from an iPhone). In the InBox I see the mail message with an attachment, but when I go the mail message itself I don't see anything...on in mail picture or even an attachment. Does it get automatically downloaded? If so, where?

Thanks in advance.

The UI changes are all slated for last as I want to get some major functionality in. Most of your comments are on my list of changes though

Embedded images has some issues now, I know about it.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The battery issue I noticed by changing this particular setting. I have it set to (Close connection when I exit mailbox) at the moment and my battery life is back to normal again. Is that weird ?

A bit weird, yes. But it could depend on your device as well as the mailbox server.

J_Bone

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Diggin Maildroid. I haven't tried K-9.

Along the lines of the asterisk thought, is it possible to have the app go straight to the account of the new mail if the other account doesn't have any? I have one busy account and the other is sporadic at best but I still want to keep tabs on it. It would be nice to skip that screen when I want to check my mail.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy