MailDroid vs K-9

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Reset my Incredible to try to get maildroid to open pdfs, and it still says no application available to open this content. Has anyone else had this problem with HTC Inc.? Stock mail app will open PDFs no problem. Maildroid opens all office documents. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to abandon maildroid. Any help is much appreciated as this programs suits all of my needs, and has some features not seen in other mail apps. :confused:

What pdf viewer(s) do you have on the phone? This has been really confusing for me as I have been able to open all different size pdf's on my device.

Last edited:

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Will MailDroid open wmv files? If so, how? I do have oi file manager installed. I got some in a email and couldn't open. it froze maildroid and had to do forceclose.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Will MailDroid open wmv files? If so, how? I do have oi file manager installed. I got some in a email and couldn't open. it froze maildroid and had to do forceclose.

When you click on a wmv file (as well as pdf or anything else) you are essentially asking the device to do two things:

1. Download the file
2. Call the appropriate application to open the file

If you click the arrow to download the file, then it just downloads to your sd card and you can then open it from there.

MailDroid is just the mail client and does not not understand any file extensions. If it does a FC when trying to download to the SD, it can depend on size as well as possibly a MailDroid issue (hard to tell without details). If it gives you a FC when you try and open, that adds a third variable (the application that runs it).

A ForceClose is a funny thing as I often get crash reports from users and when looking at the stack trace, I see sometimes it is related to third party applications and not MailDroid.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Besides gmail, I also use Yahoo and GMX Mail. I've been using the stock email account on my Droid X, but got tired of the lack of sync between my phone and Yahoo and GMX, so I decided to give MailDroid a go.

So far, it syncs great and when I delete mail on my phone, it actually deletes it in my Yahoo and GMX accounts, which is great, a la my former BB. So far so good and I'm happy.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
When you click on a wmv file (as well as pdf or anything else) you are essentially asking the device to do two things:

1. Download the file
2. Call the appropriate application to open the file

If you click the arrow to download the file, then it just downloads to your sd card and you can then open it from there.

MailDroid is just the mail client and does not not understand any file extensions. If it does a FC when trying to download to the SD, it can depend on size as well as possibly a MailDroid issue (hard to tell without details). If it gives you a FC when you try and open, that adds a third variable (the application that runs it).

A ForceClose is a funny thing as I often get crash reports from users and when looking at the stack trace, I see sometimes it is related to third party applications and not MailDroid.

Thanks for the response and info.

I might have done something wrong, which cause the FC. I'm just learning how to deal with attachments. And the attachment was two 10 min video's. So I think they would have been good sized.

I really like MaidDroid and your support of it. I have only one request and that is to be able to increase font size of msg content. That would help these old eye's.

Again thanks.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response and info.

I might have done something wrong, which cause the FC. I'm just learning how to deal with attachments. And the attachment was two 10 min video's. So I think they would have been good sized.

I really like MaidDroid and your support of it. I have only one request and that is to be able to increase font size of msg content. That would help these old eye's.

Again thanks.

Ouch :) 10 minute videos would do it. I have it on my list to give font size options once I redo the UI

nightranger

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
What pdf viewer(s) do you have on the phone? This has been really confusing for me as I have been able to open all different size pdf's on my device.

Droiddev I have both HTCs PDF reader and the Adobe PDF viewer. With both are on the phone I still cannot open pdfs. I am running stock Verizon 2.1 Update 1. Is there a way to specify which application is used as a default to open a certain file type? Thanks I really want this to work. :)

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Droiddev I have both HTCs PDF reader and the Adobe PDF viewer. With both are on the phone I still cannot open pdfs. I am running stock Verizon 2.1 Update 1. Is there a way to specify which application is used as a default to open a certain file type? Thanks I really want this to work. :)

What size pdfs fail. Is it all of them or just certain ones. Also, if you have a sample pdf (that you can share) that fails, please send it to maildroiddev at gmail.

nightranger

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
What size pdfs fail. Is it all of them or just certain ones. Also, if you have a sample pdf (that you can share) that fails, please send it to maildroiddev at gmail.

All PDFs. Does not matter what size. None of them have been corrupt. I can open them with the pdf readers on the phone. A sample is on its way to your e-mail. Has anyone else had this issue? The phone is just a week old. Could it be because of some recent update? Thanks.

:p

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
All PDFs. Does not matter what size. None of them have been corrupt. I can open them with the pdf readers on the phone. A sample is on its way to your e-mail. Has anyone else had this issue? The phone is just a week old. Could it be because of some recent update? Thanks.

:p

Thanks for the pdf as this pdf does fail for me. I have to see what is going on here, but at least now I have a sample to work with. I will keep you updated.

ianatkin

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm using MD as it is the only mail client I've found so far that will open my work Exchange email. I also want to use it for my home IMAP account and I was wondering if there is a setting to have it automatically open the IMAP account in a folder other than the inbox? My mail is delivered to a subfolder and it's a pain to have to dig through from the inbox each time I go to the account. I guess I'm asking about IMAP folder subscriptions, in a roundabout way :)

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
When I receive an email with a picture attached, it shows attachment with paper clip, but when I open email no picture.

Any idea what could be wrong or do I need to do something different?

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm using MD as it is the only mail client I've found so far that will open my work Exchange email. I also want to use it for my home IMAP account and I was wondering if there is a setting to have it automatically open the IMAP account in a folder other than the inbox? My mail is delivered to a subfolder and it's a pain to have to dig through from the inbox each time I go to the account. I guess I'm asking about IMAP folder subscriptions, in a roundabout way :)

Not at this time. But I will add this on my list of things to get done. I am redoing the folder implementation soon, so maybe I will see if I can tie this in with that change.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
When I receive an email with a picture attached, it shows attachment with paper clip, but when I open email no picture.

Any idea what could be wrong or do I need to do something different?

This is a known bug that happens with embedded images within the email.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@everyone

I am working hard on the next version. I assume it will be available at the end of the week. This is probably the biggest release I have done (features, changes, and fixes) since version 1.10. Give me some time, and perhaps in a day or so, I will leak some new features that are already done ;-)

alvin_a_garcia

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So I have debated this. Perhaps some people on the forum will chime in. I can do this one of three ways:

1. Locally. If you do something on the device like forward or reply, it will show on the device only (I think bberry is like this).

2. Sync. If your server supports the flag (most IMAP servers and no pop servers) I can sync if you reply or forward with your imap server. So if you reply on a desktop, I can sync and show a reply on the phone. This gets difficult because not everyone supports it.

3. Sync+Local. This will be a combination of both and would be technically a challenge, but I guess could be done.

I was leaning towards the first option and I think BBerry also just does a local and not a sync with the server. If this is acceptable, I think this can be easily done.

I've been reading through this thread, to see if I should switch from K-9 Mail to Maildroid. Actually, the way this is handled will be a factor in which client to use. I vote for option 2 since IMHO, one of the main benefits of having a centralized data store for e-mail, such as what IMAP allows, is to avoid having to manually synchronize state among multiple e-mail clients. If I responded to an e-mail via MailDroid, for instance, and its flag status wasn't then set on the server, I might not remember when I get to my desktop e-mail client that I'd already responded to this e-mail. I rely on this feature in my desktop client to help me keep track of things I've responded to and/or forwarded.

That's just my 2 cents' worth.

I am impressed with the developer's (developers' ?) responsiveness to feedback on this forum. Keep up the good work!

Virtual69

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
My vote would be for #2 as well. All systems reading an inbox should be kept in sync as much as possible. This is the why the mail program on the iPhone works.

Also impressed with the responsiveness of the maildroid developer(s). If it wasn't for maildroid, I probably would have exchanged my Android for an iPhone by now.