MailDroid vs K-9

iceman718

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Just registered to commend your outstanding service. I just got a Samsung Captivate a few days ago and am looking forward to 1.36 to fix the FC issue with the newest update. The 'don't delete from server' option will be the clincher for me.

Also a suggestion (and I'm not sure if this is an Android, Launcher, or MailDroid thing) but having a little bubble at the top right of the icon display the number of new messages would be awesome.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The errors most of you have seen are coming from a use-case I missed which was an empty inbox (pop3 or imap). A few more errors have come in, but the bulk are from the empty inbox.

I am finishing up the final fixes and will do a quick test and release something shortly.

iceman718

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something or is there no trash folder in the actual app? When I delete a message, I want it to go to a trash folder, i.e. somewhere that's not the inbox, but not just be completely gone. I like to be able to go back weeks later and find a message if I need it, but not have hundreds of read emails just sitting in the inbox. All this happening on the device, having nothing to do with the server. Is this possible?

I use my new Android phone (previously an iPod Touch), a laptop, and a desktop to get emails, so I have them all set up to leave messages on the server so each device can download every email so I can reply to any message from any device anywhere anytime. I use Windows Mail for the laptop/desktop which has a deleted items folder of its own separate from the server, and I need the same thing for my phone.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a possiblility for this in the future?

Also, whenever viewing an email with pictures, it starts too zoomed in and it's often difficult/impossible to zoom out enough to see everything without having to side scroll.

Last edited:

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
1.37 pushed with a few more fixes

@iceman, a local trash folder will be added. Just did not get to it in time. As you can see, with so many changes, bugs are coming in, so I just needed to trim down the release a bit. Expect to see that local trash feature soon.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
1.36 has been pushed out. I am hopeful it fixes all the issues.

Thank you maildroidev,
I downloaded it before I saw the forums to see that you launched it and so far it seems to be faster then the previous version! It also seems to handle email a bit better as well! Thank you again!

Cheers,
Charlie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

iceman718

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
1.37 pushed with a few more fixes

@iceman, a local trash folder will be added. Just did not get to it in time. As you can see, with so many changes, bugs are coming in, so I just needed to trim down the release a bit. Expect to see that local trash feature soon.

Totally understand.. no worries. It's exciting to sit here and basically watch as updates are pushed out :)

Last edited:

stepchild

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Loaded the updates and everything seems to be working great. I love the number count and option to load older emails. The last is something I would have never thought of, but for me is just great. It just really works for my needs.

Thank you for all your efforts and I await the paid version. You deserve to be awarded.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Loaded the updates and everything seems to be working great. I love the number count and option to load older emails. The last is something I would have never thought of, but for me is just great. It just really works for my needs.

Thank you for all your efforts and I await the paid version. You deserve to be awarded.

Thanks.

Crazy Yankee

Jul 20, 2010
www.crazyyankeesportfishing.com
Maildroiddev....you seem like a great developer, and I applaud your ability to listen to what the "customer" wants. If only some other businesses took that approach. I love the app, and I look forward to whatever updates you push out.

Virtual69

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
@maildroid

I'm running 1.37. Looks like some nice new features, but hard to tell...This version seems way slower than 1.32....

It can take 5-10 seconds to open a mail box. Several seconds to delete an email, 3-5 seconds to return to the mail box selection screen, etc.

If I had my choice at this point, I'd go back to 1.32.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@virtual69

The only way that could happen is if you are running a very old POP3 server which does not support the TOP command. Is that the case? Everyone else has seen massive improvements in speed.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I can also report that it's slow on both POP and IMAP accounts. I'd say it seems slower than before but may be about the same. It is definitely not faster.

While I like the idea of showing how many unread in each account I'm finding it can severely under-report the number of unread messages. For instance it will show, say, 5 unread. I open that account and there are 5 unread. If I immediately press the load older button I might get 10 more and then 10 more after that, etc. So rather than the initially indicated 5 it might really be 25. For now I've set the older count to 100 in the hopes that it acts as a default value from now on.

1.37 beta on stock Droid 2.2

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@azjerry

1. What is slow? Opening an email, or going to your inbox?
2. Correct! Remember POP3 does not support any way to talk to the server and find out read/unread. Any new mail you get from POP3 will always be marked as unread locally, even if it is marked as read on the server,

Virtual69

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
@maildroid

Sorry, but this version is seriously hosed. I'm running UWashington's 2007e Imap server.

It's very slow.

I just sent myself a half dozen test emails from my shell account with no subject. The first email that came in had the same subject as the previous email in my account. (ie, since it had no subject, it took the one from the message before it.)

After deleting all those test emails, MD is now intermittently showing 2 copies of some emails in the mailbox (using Thunderbird shows the mailbox is what it should be).

The new email notification is not working properly.

If I delete emails from Thunderbird, MD doesn't recognize that without having to refresh the mailbox several times, even after waiting 10 minutes for MD to try and refresh things itself.

I have used an iPhone, Thunderbird, and Outlook with the same accounts for years and have none of these issues whatsoever.

Is there anyway to go back down to 1.32? Can you make it available on Slideme?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol