gmail app green light and picture

random01

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay so my question is abt the Gmail app. I deleted my Gmail acct under mail when I realized that the app functions much more the web version and therefore was easier for me. However I'm not even a huge Gmail user anyway and can't figure out why in the app sometimes when I have a conservation a green light will appear next to my email? What does that signify and why does it only show sometimes?

The other question is more worrisome; when that green light appears, my Twitter avatar also appears. I'm worried that people I'm sending emails with can see my picture. Can anyone confirm or deny and explain to me why it shows up in my Gmail conversations?
Thank you.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes the green light means you're online with google Talk (check the Talk app on your phone ...)
As for the pic, others can see it if:

- they know you on twitter and sync their twitter contacts to their phone

- if you use the same pic in your Google profile and they also use Gmail website or Gmail apps that see the pics from google profiles (ie google talk)

Otherwise should be ok

random01

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes the green light means you're online with google Talk (check the Talk app on your phone ...)
As for the pic, others can see it if:

- they know you on twitter and sync their twitter contacts to their phone

- if you use the same pic in your Google profile and they also use Gmail website or Gmail apps that see the pics from google profiles (ie google talk)

Otherwise should be ok

Thanks.

Okay. I double checked but I don't have a Google talk app on my phone. Google related items I do have are: gmail, Google search, latitude, maps, navigation, places and I think that was all. EDIT: n/m I found google talk. I turned it off and set signed out for always or something like that. Green lights are gone. :)

As for pic, no, none of these ppl would have access to my Twitter and I don't believe I have a Google profile so there shouldn't be any pic attached so I guess that's fine. Do you know if there's a way I can remove my Twitter pic from associating w this app all together? I don't understand why its there in the first place.

Last edited:

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you have twitter installed?

Which phone is this anyway? HTC Sense phones have deeper social integration so if you signed in to their twitter it probably added your pic to your profile on your phone.

And yes you do have a Google profile if you have a google account. Check it out on google.com ;-)

random01

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the HTC Peep on my phone.
Rhyme.
So there's no way to set how apps communicate with each other? I just don't understand the reasoning of my Twitter account being associated with my gmail account. There should be boundaries.

I have a gmail account yes, but I do not have a profile b/c I have not created one.

At least it seem as though no one can see my info or picture unless I want them to. I just wasn't sure b/c I hadn't made any settings changes that I knew of, but the google talk thing turns out was automaticallly set to log on as long as my phone was on. I turned that off immediately and the green lights disappeared so thanks for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy