From the looks of it, there are two apps for LDS Scriptures.
    LDS Scriptures (By: Appible) $4.99
    LDS Scriptures App (By: LDS Scriptures) $14.99

Has anyone used either?
    I do not have my Droid Inc yet, so I cannot use them to make a decision. Besides, it looks as if neither of them offer a trial version, and both look like good apps. Maybe the only way to know is to buy both ...

BTW, once I get my Droid Inc I will update this thread with my own thoughts pertaining to the two apps.
    05-20-2010 02:48 PM
    Purchases are returnable and refundable for 24 hrs. You can give each a test drive and return one or both if they don't live up to your expectations.

Good luck and welcome to Android.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you could also check to see if there is an ebook version available. You could then try one of the ereader apps. Unless there are addition features beyond just being a searchable text, you might find this free option just as useful.
    wryun likes this.
    05-20-2010 03:52 PM
    I did not know purchases are returnable and refundable for 24 hrs. Does this apply to every purchase made in the Android Market?
    05-20-2010 05:02 PM
    Yes, but there is a wrinkle added if you buy the same app a second time. The first time you have 24 hrs to try it out. The second time its yours for good.

That's why I keep the email receipts for my purchases and returns. There are plenty I have returned, and its nice having that list to reference before I go and make the mistake of testing one out a second time.
    wryun likes this.
    05-20-2010 05:13 PM
    That is rad! Way better than iTunes/App Store already. I am stoked for my Android Phone. This makes it easier to pay for both apps to test.
    I was reading reviews of both, and it look like more people have downloaded 2nd app more than the 1st one, and the 2nd app has better reviews than the 1st.

Thanks again.
    05-20-2010 05:23 PM
    The LDS Church has released their own scriptures app (for iPod and iPad) that is free, so I would assume one is coming out for the android OS soon. I have the $14.99 downloaded. It is a great app and well worth the money, in my opinion. It is updated with new General Conference talks, etc. It has every manual you need and is constantly adding new ones.
    wryun likes this.
    05-20-2010 06:33 PM
    Thanks Tytanious.
    Does the app have bookmarks, footnotes, Primary 2 manual, and Children's Hymn Book? I am a Primary teacher, so I need the last two mostly. LOL
    05-20-2010 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the info. I found a free reader called "Reveal Reader" which installs the reader app on the phone, and stores the downloaded books on the SD card. It's been a good reader and gives me all I need (Book of Mormon, D&C, PoGP, Old & New Testament, Primary manual, LDS Hymns, Children's Song Book, for now). It has a lot more for download as well. I am still trying to learn how to use it, so I am not sure about highlighting and bookmarking yet.

I might break down one day and buy the $14.99 version to try it out. At least I know you can get a refund if you don't like it.

Thanks again!
    06-07-2010 10:28 AM
    The reveal reader is great because it uses the Yanceyware library that was created for Windows Mobile, so it has a huge library.

There is another new app released by developers associated with tech.lds.org - the "Gospel Libary" available on the Android Market. (actually one of the developers is the same as the Reveal project). The library isn't as big (just basic scriptures so far) - but the reader is very functional (has bigger buttons etc.) comparated to Reveal. One cool feature is "tilt to scroll". Sometimes it can be annoying and I turn it off, but other times it is very useful.

Edit: both these readers are FREE
    wryun likes this.
    06-07-2010 12:40 PM
    I just noticed "Gospel Library" yesterday. I installed it, but haven't downloaded any books yet. Thanks for the tip!
    06-07-2010 01:35 PM
    I have been using Reveal on my Samsung Fascinate with my previous Windows Mobile Library of YanceyWare books, including Gospelink Library 2001. Reveal offers Bookmarks and Highlighting, although I find the colors for highlighting rather unsatisfying, perhaps because I prefer to use the white text on black background mode.

I call one Bookmark "Daily", and use it to get back to my daily reading, although there is also a history feature that will usually work. the Daily bookmark can be updated after each reading.

Thanks for reminding me about Gospel Library. I forgot I had already downloaded it, but no books, so will try it now.

What I would like to obtain would be a powerful search engine for finding scriptures easily. I used to use pocket e-sword, but that was only for the Bible. Anyone know of anything existing or under development for searching LDS scriptures?

Edit: well, there is a search feature in Gospel Library which includes a "Search all" check box, so maybe I have my answer already.
    05-04-2011 08:00 PM
    PS, the 24 hours return policy mentioned earlier in this thread is not applicable anymore.
    05-04-2011 08:31 PM
    Wow, I'm back already with a good report. I already have most of the books I need downloaded for Gospel Library, there are many improved features over Reveal. I especially like swiping left or right for previous or next chapters. And the search engine appears to be totally awesome, included a variety of filters for searching. It is also surprisingly fast.

Reveal still has more books, with the entire YanCeyWare library of .ybk books. Otherwise, I think Gospel Library is better. Hoping for an update with prettier and more flexible highlighting than Reveal.
    05-04-2011 08:48 PM
    I LOVE gospel library on my android phone. It just keeps getting better and better. Now I want to buy a Nexus 7 tablet. Will Gospel Library work on Nexus 7 as soon as the 7 is available? Or will we have to wait?
    07-06-2012 11:23 AM
    My favorite LDS apps are LDS Scriptures Premium and LDS Scriptures Free, depending upon if you want to pay or not. The Premium version does not have the reminder to upgrade. They include the scriptures, manuals, magazines, lists and feature bookmarks, highlight, notes, a trivia game and search. They are available for Windows, Android, Kindle and Nook.

LDS Scriptures Premium
    LDS Scriptures Free
    LDS Apps
    01-13-2013 12:30 PM