[New Feature: Touch Indicator] Screencast Video Recorder

teflon1

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Beta Testers Needed] Screencast Video Recorder

In case anyone is wondering I have used this app on these 2 devices successfully:

- Samsung Galaxy Note (I) with stock ROM v4.0.4, I can get up 12 FPS recording in High (full resolution) and 16 FPS at normal (1/2 resolution).
- Samsung Galaxy S3 with stock ROM v4.1.1, I can get up to 26 FPS recording in High (full resolution)

There are reports of the app not working with JB but it works for me with v4.1.1. I wonder what the highest OS version is that it will work on? Anyone using it successfully with an S3 and a stock ROM version higher than v4.1.1?

Remember to Disable HW Overlay and Force GPU rendering. Disable HW Overlay has to be set every time you reboot unless you modify build.prop. After setting Force GPU rendering the first time you probably (guess) have to reboot for it to take effect.

For Chinese phones with the MTK chipset, some work and others don't, no idea why.

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Remember to Disable HW Overlay and Force GPU rendering. Disable HW Overlay has to be set every time you reboot unless you modify build.prop. After setting Force GPU rendering the first time you probably (guess) have to reboot for it to take effect.

On my note 2 I never reset it after applying those settings in the developer options for screen recording to work. Is the reboot device specific?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

HighSchool Mac

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a problem with any new 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 roms on my Verizon Galaxy S3. Every video I attempt to record just results in a black video. I have tried the hardware overlay and for gpu rendering multiple times with no luck. I have also tried emailing the developer but I have gotten no response. I really rely on this app for many of my Youtube videos so this is important to me to get solved. My guess is it is something specific with the Galaxy S3 on the newest android builds like 4.2.1 and 4.2.2. If anybody knows anything that I can do to fix this bug it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows a different email I can contact the developer at that would be great because I would like to do anything I can to help fix this problem!! Thanks.

Last edited:

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a problem with any new 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 roms on my Verizon Galaxy S3. Every video I attempt to record just results in a black video. I have tried the hardware overlay and for gpu rendering multiple times with no luck. I have also tried emailing the developer but I have gotten no response. I really rely on this app for many of my Youtube videos so this is important to me to get solved. My guess is it is something specific with the Galaxy S3 on the newest android builds like 4.2.1 and 4.2.2. If anybody knows anything that I can do to fix this bug it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows a different email I can contact the developer at that would be great because I would like to do anything I can to help fix this problem!! Thanks.

Do you see the touch pointer in the recording if you add one from the settings menu?

krzychos7

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you can add option for customisable bitrate?
On Samsung Galaxy Note 2 it's work smoothly but bitrate is worst than on Galaxy S2...
I guess you're using ffmpeg in your program, maybe you could just add more options to control the quality and recording format.

David Haesaert

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
How do I request a refund? Since the purchased app did not work on my tablet. permanent 'waiting for service', also in the demo version. Please advice. Regards

lucianosb

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same issues with colors, some of them appear inverted. I've tried many things and none of them work. Strangely, some other screencast apps seem to work fine. As a developer I'd hate to ask for a refund. Please, @mediasol, let us solve this.

My device is a Samsung i9300 running latest stable ROM Vanilla RootBox with Siyah kernel. I've tried this app with Omega ROM and the same kernel before and it worked fine. It was said before that this app is "deep-in-the-kernel-code intrusive". So if I changed the kernel would it help?

I've uploaded the screenshots for my settings on the Developer Options menu, the About Phone menu, my kernel settings via the STweaks app, the Screencast Recorder settings and benchmarck, and an example of how the movie actually looks after recorded. You can view it here: https://www.box.com/s/cf1mh80hhj12n3vrf1fx

Please, let us fix this ASAP.

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Screencast uses framebuffer settings to check for color format. These settings are set by the kernel and it seems that your latest kernel is not doing a good job setting them correctly.

I've been experiencing the same issues with colors, some of them appear inverted. I've tried many things and none of them work. Strangely, some other screencast apps seem to work fine. As a developer I'd hate to ask for a refund. Please, @mediasol, let us solve this.

My device is a Samsung i9300 running latest stable ROM Vanilla RootBox with Siyah kernel. I've tried this app with Omega ROM and the same kernel before and it worked fine. It was said before that this app is "deep-in-the-kernel-code intrusive". So if I changed the kernel would it help?

I've uploaded the screenshots for my settings on the Developer Options menu, the About Phone menu, my kernel settings via the STweaks app, the Screencast Recorder settings and benchmarck, and an example of how the movie actually looks after recorded. You can view it here: https://www.box.com/s/cf1mh80hhj12n3vrf1fx

Please, let us fix this ASAP.

HighSchool Mac

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
My best guess is that the latest build is using incompatible drivers. Screencast needs framebuffer video drivers to work.
Okay, so do you think that it is a bug that can be fixed via ROM devs, or is it something that you will have to address in a future update? I think it may be related to Galaxy S 3's in specific because I have seen other phones able to record on 4.2 and I also was able to record on an early version of a custom 4.2 rom, but now it does not in later versions of the ROM. So if you can give me more details on how this framebuffer video drivers work, like if it can easily be added to the System, that would be helpful. Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

mediasol

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so do you think that it is a bug that can be fixed via ROM devs, or is it something that you will have to address in a future update? I think it may be related to Galaxy S 3's in specific because I have seen other phones able to record on 4.2 and I also was able to record on an early version of a custom 4.2 rom, but now it does not in later versions of the ROM. So if you can give me more details on how this framebuffer video drivers work, like if it can easily be added to the System, that would be helpful. Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

It has to be the display drivers in the S3 kernel, I will need to run kernel traces on an S3 to narrow it down.

HighSchool Mac

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
It has to be the display drivers in the S3 kernel, I will need to run kernel traces on an S3 to narrow it down.

Okay, thanks for the info. If its kernel related I will try some custom kernels for my phone and see if I can get it to work with those. I will let you know if any of them work.

CL Redeye

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey, just made my first long video with Screencast on a SGS3 i9300, video was over an hour long so I guess the encoding time is going to take a bit but its been over an hour and nothing's appeared yet so I'm wondering if its broken? Haven't shut off the device yet just in case the video does appear at some point.

Could I suggest adding a progression bar for the encoding process just so we know whats going on rather than just wait blindly for videos to appear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel