Can I use Android for this?

caracena

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

In the next couple of months I'll be setting up a new service for the company I work at and buying an Android phone has bring me new ideas and before anything else, I would like to get some feedback from experts.

I will be dealing with real-time data acquisition and while the data is gonna be sent over the internet using a satellile connection, I will also have to display in on-site to somebody else 24/7. To do this, I was thinking on using a laptop or a monitor with a really long cable but now I'm thinking about using a tablet. Is it possible?

What I'm talking about is having a tablet with an Android app that will display some "clocks" (bars and other graphics) with visible and audible alarms that will fire up on some events. The app should be un-hideable (so it's always on) and have it's admin/settings locked.

Is it possible? Can this be made on Android?

Thanks in advance!

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure it could be done. Android apps can be two parts (three if you count widgets): a service that runs in the background, and the app user interface. The service portion can be set to run constantly (just have to refine for battery usage). You could then have a user interface that would display results. You could even set up widgets to display data directly on a home screen.

caracena

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it could be done. Android apps can be two parts (three if you count widgets): a service that runs in the background, and the app user interface. The service portion can be set to run constantly (just have to refine for battery usage). You could then have a user interface that would display results. You could even set up widgets to display data directly on a home screen.

Thanks Xopher. Sounds interesting. Battery is not an issue as it would be connected to a wall outlet 24/7.

The only question would be if the app could be setup to be always on top so the user can't close it or even minimize it (unless typing a password). This app would be the only purpose of the tablet.

Possible?

Thanks again!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk