Hey guys, I was hoping to list some apps and you guys may tell me what the best alternative or possibly if that is an app in Android...Ive never used Android but I am ditching my 3GS for the EVO and cant wait for the 4th!

heres a list of my top apps in order for which I use the most to the least :
    1. Facebook
    2. ESPN ScoreCenter w/ live scoring
    3. Notes
    4. Password Manager
    5. Excel and Word viewers and or editors
    6. Rotten Tomatoes
    7. TMZ for my gf
    8. Engadget
    9. Pandora
    10. Remote Desktop Manager

I also heard there was an app to control your PS3 blu ray player which sounds pretty cool...also if anyone has any apps that you recommend as must download, let me know!
    05-25-2010 08:09 PM
    1. native app, though not as full featured as iPhone yet (can't do chat). I would recommend getting AIM and logging into FB chat from there.
    2. Live Scores (same as Sportacular) Or you could use the ESPN mobile site.
    3. Built in notepad app
    4. Universal Password Manager
    5. Quick Office
    6. Movies. You could also go with apps like Fandango
    7. native app
    8. native app
    9. native app
    10. any of these should work but I haven't used any

I would recommend creating an account with AppBrain, it is the closest experience you are gonna get to the iTunes app store =]

also, check out the guides I link in my signature. The 1st and 3rd ones are gonna be new to you, unless you have unlocked your iPhone =P
    05-25-2010 10:36 PM
    Kyleg,

Thanks for the very informative post, I cant wait to get my EVO in so I can try these apps out, I see you have the Incredible, I would love to have that phone, thats what sold me for sure on Android and how much better these phones are then my Iphone. I think the Evo has pretty much the same specs as the Incredible for the most part, aside from screen size and I believe the HD video on the EVO, but in any case Thanks again!

Note : I gave you a good reputation, I wanted to "thank you" since I see the amount of times you were thanked before I just couldnt find a "thank" button lol
    05-26-2010 09:55 AM
    Kyleg,

Thanks for the very informative post, I cant wait to get my EVO in so I can try these apps out, I see you have the Incredible, I would love to have that phone, thats what sold me for sure on Android and how much better these phones are then my Iphone. I think the Evo has pretty much the same specs as the Incredible for the most part, aside from screen size and I believe the HD video on the EVO, but in any case Thanks again!

Note : I gave you a good reputation, I wanted to "thank you" since I see the amount of times you were thanked before I just couldnt find a "thank" button lol
    Thanks. Are you dead set on moving to Android? Because the new iPhone will almost assuredly be announced at WWDC on June 7th and if you are on the fence about switching, I would advise taking a couple extra days just to make sure you like the Evo more than the iPhone 4gen or whatever.

Glad I could help!
    05-26-2010 10:35 AM
    Thanks. Are you dead set on moving to Android? Because the new iPhone will almost assuredly be announced at WWDC on June 7th and if you are on the fence about switching, I would advise taking a couple extra days just to make sure you like the Evo more than the iPhone 4gen or whatever.

Glad I could help!
    I really hope they dont name it "4G". That is just going to stir up a lot of confusion with the EVO actually being a 4G WiMax device. Knowing Apple and ATT though they will and then when they get their LTE built up it will be 4Gs. Oh wait once Big Red has LTE running they will have the iPhone, and the end of ATT as we know it.
    05-26-2010 12:24 PM
    I am moving from a 3GS to an EVO, even with the iPhone HD looming very closely on the horizon. I think very highly of the iPhone platform, but I have to say there is very little about the HD that excites me. Now, they might have a few surprises up their sleeve, but at this point it doesn't seem like there is much to be revealed that we don't know. But, I am a gadget nerd, and the EVO and Android really pique my interest.

Sprint has a 30 day money-back guarantee, so if I pick up the phone up on the 4th, and on the 7th Apple blows me out of the water, than I can return the phone and snag the iPhone HD. I am not going to close down my AT&T account for a few weeks of EVO testing anyway.

Right off the bat, the fact that Apple did not make the physical screen size any larger annoys me, and is a part of why I am going to give the EVO and Android a try. Add in 4G in my area and it seems a natural progression.
    05-26-2010 12:46 PM
    I am moving from a 3GS to an EVO, even with the iPhone HD looming very closely on the horizon. I think very highly of the iPhone platform, but I have to say there is very little about the HD that excites me. Now, they might have a few surprises up their sleeve, but at this point it doesn't seem like there is much to be revealed that we don't know. But, I am a gadget nerd, and the EVO and Android really pique my interest.

Sprint has a 30 day money-back guarantee, so if I pick up the phone up on the 4th, and on the 7th Apple blows me out of the water, than I can return the phone and snag the iPhone HD. I am not going to close down my AT&T account for a few weeks of EVO testing anyway.

Right off the bat, the fact that Apple did not make the physical screen size any larger annoys me, and is a part of why I am going to give the EVO and Android a try. Add in 4G in my area and it seems a natural progression.
    awesome. I might pick up a LTE divice on Verizon next year if they have it in DC. We shall see =]
    05-26-2010 01:33 PM
    Yeah im convinced I am going to make the move, I really like Android platform from the short time ive spent with it...and also my biggest factors :

4G : I live in Philadelphia, So I will be well covered with 4g, or I at least think I will!

Price: I will be saving 30 a month moving to Sprint over ATT

Evil Apple : I really hate that Apple holds back apps that could be released that they dont like, I hate that they dont let me customize MY PHONE, and I hate I must use Itunes for everything as my be all end all. I much prefer Blackberry's option to drag and drop files onto the phone which is how I believe Android does it as well!?

ATT and or Iphone issues : over the past month at least 1 in every 5 texts I send out doesnt go thru and I have to copy paste and resend, and also roughly 1 in 3 calls I make are now dropped on my Iphone.

So Im definitely switching and if somehow the evo stinks really badly or I just dont like it, Ill get my Sprint money back and nab an Iphone 4g or even just take back the Evo and maybe just grab a Hero or Curve from Sprint!
    05-28-2010 12:38 PM
    Those are all good reasons to move haha. Must be awesome to have 4G in Philly =P
    05-28-2010 01:55 PM
    Those are all good reasons to move haha. Must be awesome to have 4G in Philly =P
    If I remember correctly, Sprint sent out an email or text saying I lived in a 4G city. It didn't really hit me until I heard about the EVO. I'm that type of person that needs to have the new tech toy.....lol
    05-28-2010 02:07 PM
    One thing to remember if you plan on switching from at&t is if youre planning on paying an early termination fee do it ASAP...June 1st its raised to $350 correct? i got out with $130
    05-28-2010 05:35 PM
    One thing to remember if you plan on switching from at&t is if youre planning on paying an early termination fee do it ASAP...June 1st its raised to $350 correct? i got out with $130
    I googled it and then also called ATT, both confirmed current customers already in contract will not be affected. I was also considering moving early getting free Blackberry Curve and then exchanging for EVO when it released if I would be affected.
    05-28-2010 08:52 PM
    I googled it and then also called ATT, both confirmed current customers already in contract will not be affected. I was also considering moving early getting free Blackberry Curve and then exchanging for EVO when it released if I would be affected.
    Excellent...good to know for those already locked in
    05-28-2010 09:24 PM
    Yepp, that brings my total to 260 bucks in cancelation fees for 2 lines in contract and one that was out of contract as of 5-22-10 thank god.
    05-28-2010 10:12 PM
    Yepp, that brings my total to 260 bucks in cancelation fees for 2 lines in contract and one that was out of contract as of 5-22-10 thank god.
    I am sure Sprint is more than happy to have your business haha. I think it is really interesting that many of the most tech savy people used to have iPhones but are now moving to Android. iPhone sales are now mostly your "average" type user.
    05-29-2010 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD